Author Topic: Details of the New Triumph Classics  (Read 31056 times)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Details of the New Triumph Classics
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »
I am not really enamored with water cooled bikes being dressed with fins.  Sorta what the Japanese bikes did with their V twin/ Harley clones. 

I am quite sure these bikes are great performers, I am just not into the "dolled up" approach.  It's hard to make a water cooled engine look pretty.

Understood.

But are these FINS, or covers. If they are cast parts of the actual jugs and heads that's a lot better than something that is bolted over the jug or head. I can forgive the former, not as much the later.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

canuguzzi

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »
I am disappointed that they have moved from air cooled to all liquid cooled bikes.
I primarily bought my 2014 V7 last month because of its light weight, amazing looks, air cooled engine and overall balance.
These new bikes by triumph seem to be going with the trend of bigger-is-better. I like the V7 precisely because it is a simple motorcycle.
I'd rather drive a 50 hp bike at 70 mph than a 100 hp bike at 70 mph.
 :laugh:

I'd rather have the 100 HP if its done right. I would rather be able to twist the throttle and get more than twist the throttle only to find there is none.

I would much rather have a 100hp bike that is well engineered, has first rate design and top quality assembly and up to date features than a 50hp bike without them.

Just look how Triumph set a MG forum on fire.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »
I am not really enamored with water cooled bikes being dressed with fins.   

What about bikes that are partially liquid cooled and require the fins to supplement the cooling ??
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

canuguzzi

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 11:52:02 AM »
What about bikes that are partially liquid cooled and require the fins to supplement the cooling ??

:thumb:

I recognize.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 11:52:02 AM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 11:52:49 AM »

d00d.  most of the members here are polyamorous  when it comes to motorcycles.  Especially twins of all stripes.

It's no surprise to me that it's a hot topic here.  Many of us are current and former Triumph owners, afterall...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2015, 11:54:38 AM »
that's OK Rock,  form follows function.

but if you want to see ugly, look at the first generation of water cooled GSXR.  It's a water cooled / air cooled mongrel.  I know some that like the looks of it.  I think it's ugly but functional. 

anyway not many pretty water cooled engines.  I think the Japanese 4 cyl sportbikes probably have the best looking water cooled engines behind all that tupperware. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:55:30 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2015, 11:56:09 AM »

"Polyamorous"

Love that word Mike  :laugh:

Dusty

canuguzzi

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2015, 12:54:43 PM »
I don't like HD bikes in general but they manages to integrate water cooling very well.

Water cooling doesn't have to be ugly, the designers and engineers just have to work together to make itbwork and look good at the same time.

Air cooling isn't some sacred cow, if it can be done right, look good, put it on.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2015, 01:19:56 PM »

"Polyamorous"

Love that word Mike  :laugh:

Dusty

You should put that on the back of your upcoming "We like Happy Endings" T-shirt.

:boozing:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2015, 02:09:46 PM »
You should put that on the back of your upcoming "We like Happy Endings" T-shirt.

:boozing:

Yeah , but once again someone would have to explain the joke to me , all of that double entendre stuff escapes me , hell , most of the time single entendre stuff goes right over my head . WHOOSH , WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT ? :huh:

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2015, 02:20:03 PM »
anyway not many pretty water cooled engines.  I think the Japanese 4 cyl sportbikes probably have the best looking water cooled engines behind all that tupperware.

For "fully liquid cooled" beauty, my vote goes to Indian Scout.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Jim C

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2015, 02:32:05 PM »
Great Scott...

These are some of the best Bonnies I've seen in a long time,
air-cooling notwithstanding. Probably have to put a radiator
guard in front of the radiator, though. You don't want road debris
or thrown rocks or whatever tearing it up.

I'm really diggin' that T120 1200. Looks really good. As a matter
of fact, the whole line looks great, except for one small thing...

NONE of them have shaft drive. Who wants to putz around with a chain?

I know, I know, not that big of a deal, but still—jus' sayin'...

Jim
2016 Red V7 II Stone

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2015, 02:54:47 PM »
Agreed, Dean.

(Sacrilege from elders in the Church of Guzzi.. )

:smiley:

Yeah shame on me, my first bike was '60 Bonneville.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2015, 03:36:12 PM »
Before we diss the V7 line, lets remember the current Bonnies are quite a bit heavier than the V7s and these new ones will likley be even heavier, unless magic has been used.....

My B750 weighs 182 kgs, current Bonnies 205kgs?? These bikes???

I will say they are wonderfully styled though, and extra power comes in handy overtaking a car uphill fully loaded......
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline kmartin

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2015, 03:39:36 PM »
For "fully liquid cooled" beauty, my vote goes to Indian Scout.

Good Call
Keith Martin

akhileshb@hotmail.com

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2015, 04:04:33 PM »
I'd rather have the 100 HP if its done right. I would rather be able to twist the throttle and get more than twist the throttle only to find there is none.

I would much rather have a 100hp bike that is well engineered, has first rate design and top quality assembly and up to date features than a 50hp bike without them.

True. I am still getting used to 50 hp. Once I am used to it, no doubt I will also prefer the more hp, even if not used to the fullest. The new bikes do look awesome.
 Just too heavy for me, with my weak knees.
I would never have bought a bike if it had not been for the V7. Even the basic Bonneville seemed too heavy to me.
Clearly I am biased since I just bought a 2014 V7 stone, but in my opinion, that is THE entry level bike.

Of Course,  I agree the majority will buy the bigger bikes.

:grin:

akhileshb@hotmail.com

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2015, 04:10:53 PM »
I am shocked how much I keep coming back to this bike. It is the MOST I've ever been interested in a water-cooled bike (even more than the one I owned  :laugh:).

I agree with everything you said, except that they simply had no choice to move from air-cooled to water-cooled. The new EU standards that they must meet in 2017 forced their hands.

Actually I'm REALLY curious what Harley and Guzzi are going to do.

Harley COULD in theory just sells Streets, Vrods, and Wet-Head Glides, but I don't think that's a smart strategy. They must have something else in the pipeline - well, maybe an expansion of the wet-heads to other lines.

And GUZZI, other than something weird like Ural or Enfield, they're the loan holdout without a single water-cooled bike in the lineup.

I would morn the loss of ALL air-cooled models, but seeing how well this was executed I MIGHT JUST BE READY to see a water-cooled model from Guzzi too.

Gonna be an interesting year or two in the bike market because of these regulations.
yes, it seems like Guzzi will HAVE to introduce water cooled bikes as well, I suppose.
Aircooled is just...COOl. Like in Pre 1998 Porsche 911s. Simple. Basic. Sounds good.

Liquid cooled is fine too, of course. My 1986 Honda 250 scooter is liquid cooled.
BUT it's carbureted, so sounds great!
Just kidding, really it's all in the mind, of course. 

canuguzzi

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »
There are a lot of people for whom the V7 is perfect, the new Triumphs aren't a one or the other but appeal to different people.

In the USA power sells and Triumph see that and is selling to that market.

My Norge, even producing a lot of power can't match an FJR, ST1300, ST1300 or the new Trophy and while I wouldn't turn down an extra 25hp I'm a Norge Pilot and that is that.

Just add to the stable, not replace or compare.

MG could sell a lot more V7s with some slight improvements and more important, paying some attention to detail and make customers feel like customers instead of revenue.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2015, 05:47:03 PM »
I should clarify that though the power of the new Triumphs sounds nice, it's not my primary attraction.

I'm excited first and foremost by the aesthetics.

I'm excited next by dual disc brakes.

I'm excited by the OPTION of full Ohlins/Showa/Brembo even if I'd probably only get the T120.

Honestly I'd probably consider the Street Twin if they just put the damn dual disks.

But if I wind up with one eventually my V7 isn't going anywhere. It has the right balance of power, weight, simplicity that I love and I don't think the Bonnie would supplant it.

I retain my position that sometimes too much power is just too much. And I did purposely sell more powerful bikes to buy my V7 and I sold an even more powerful one since because I prefer the V7.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Penderic

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2015, 05:59:28 PM »
Time for NIT picking!   :popcorn:

I wonder if the Triumph toolkit will have any tools in it. Trend nowadays to have one allen wrench and a bag of warning stickers.  :angry:

And what kind of $pecial oil will be recommended for it? 10w-80proof?

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:01:18 PM by Penderic »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2015, 07:48:51 PM »
I should clarify that though the power of the new Triumphs sounds nice, it's not my primary attraction.

I'm excited first and foremost by the aesthetics.

I'm excited next by dual disc brakes.

I'm excited by the OPTION of full Ohlins/Showa/Brembo even if I'd probably only get the T120.

Honestly I'd probably consider the Street Twin if they just put the damn dual disks.

But if I wind up with one eventually my V7 isn't going anywhere. It has the right balance of power, weight, simplicity that I love and I don't think the Bonnie would supplant it.

I retain my position that sometimes too much power is just too much. And I did purposely sell more powerful bikes to buy my V7 and I sold an even more powerful one since because I prefer the V7.

:1:   :thumb:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2015, 07:53:42 PM »
Before we diss the V7 line, lets remember the current Bonnies are quite a bit heavier than the V7s and these new ones will likley be even heavier, unless magic has been used.....

I will say they are wonderfully styled though, and extra power comes in handy overtaking a car uphill fully loaded......

Yep.  400 lbs on the V7 is one of the big attractions, for me.  I bought the bike to be a runabout and short commuter. 

I can't imagine Triumph shaved off any of the 451 lbs / 205 kg of the Bonneville.  Maybe the new engine/transmission is a little lighter.  But the 6th gear and the liquid cooling gear weigh something.  I wouldn't doubt the new bike weighs 475 lbs  / 215 kg.

Notice that they haven't been talking about it.  That in itself says something.  If they'd shaved any weight, they'd be harping on it. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2015, 07:55:26 PM »
Great Scott...

I'm really diggin' that T120 1200. Looks really good. As a matter
of fact, the whole line looks great, except for one small thing...

NONE of them have shaft drive. Who wants to putz around with a chain?

I know, I know, not that big of a deal, but still�jus' sayin'...

Jim

They could have (should have) made them belt drive.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

oldbike54

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2015, 07:57:30 PM »
They could have (should have) made them belt drive.

Would need to be a wide belt .

Dusty

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2015, 08:04:36 PM »

Dusty

Speak for yourself.  :tongue:

Buell did more with less.  :cool:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2015, 08:05:18 PM »

Yep.  400 lbs on the V7 is one of the big attractions, for me.  I bought the bike to be a runabout and short commuter. 

I can't imagine Triumph shaved off any of the 451 lbs / 205 kg of the Bonneville.  Maybe the new engine/transmission is a little lighter.  But the 6th gear and the liquid cooling gear weigh something.  I wouldn't doubt the new bike weighs 475 lbs  / 215 kg.

Notice that they haven't been talking about it.  That in itself says something.  If they'd shaved any weight, they'd be harping on it.

Like Kev M, the aesthetics are what got me first, followed by the brakes and the Ohlins/Showa suspension.      The extra power doesn't hurt.

BUT..... I wasn't really thinking about the weight.   Yes, like many small block aficionados here, the light weight of the V7 was one of the big attractions to me, along with the shaft drive.    It is for those two reasons that I bought my first V7 instead of a Bonnie four years ago, and why it was only replaced with another V7 (V7 Racer), and why recently, I tried to add another V7 (killer deal on a '14 V7 Special that someone else beat me to).

So, as much as I REALLY want a Thruxton R, I might just save my money, and do some suspension upgrades on my V7R instead, maybe even swap a different front end onto it to get better suspension and dual discs.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2015, 08:06:40 PM »
BuellShyte... You're gonna buy one... You know it.

You're a ho.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2015, 08:07:57 PM »

Dusty

The certainly could use a belt for the Street Twin and the T120, maybe keeping the chain drive on the Thruxton and Thruxton R for ease of changing gearing.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

oldbike54

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2015, 08:09:51 PM »

More than who with less of what ?

Dusty

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2015, 08:22:11 PM »
They held more than 100 rwhp at bay with less than the thickness of your belt.

But yeah, it would make sense, Street and T120 belt, Thruxton chain. That gives the audience that gives a crap easy gear ratio changes at the sprockets.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here