Author Topic: Getting rid of tailgaters without road rage, any advice (ngc)  (Read 21459 times)

Offline bsanut

• Hatchling
    • Eurotrash Jambalaya
Getting rid of tailgaters without road rage, any advice (ngc)
« on: September 25, 2016, 07:38:58 PM »
People on my ass, even though there's a lane on the left to go around.  I am not in the fast lane.  I pull over if I can, for example if I'm in the middle and there's an open lane to my right. But it happens all the time at the speed limit, usually somebody young and off somewhere to do something REALLY important.

I want a hand signal or some other method that they will see that will tell them to back off/I see them/getoffmyassnotfairI'monagoddammotorcycl estupid.

Something other than the bird, which will eventually get me shot/run over/bad end.

Anybody got anything that you've used (more than once) that works?

Joe
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:37:14 PM by oldbike54 »
Joe Carter

Eurotrash Jambalaya

2017 V9 Bobber
2014 California Custom (sold)
2009 Stelvio (sold)
2002 EV11 (sold)
1983 California II (sold)
1974 Nuovo Falcone (sold)
2007 Griso (sold)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Getting rid of tailgators without road rage, any advice (ngc)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 07:41:06 PM »
pocket full of ball bearings?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 07:50:55 PM »
On the bike, I just speed up but in the car I just pull over and let them pass.  Too many crazy people out there and I'd rather have them speeding away from me.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 07:52:54 PM »
I gradually allow more and more space to build up between myself and the vehicle in front of me as the tailgated continues to be on my butt. Then I quickly speed up creating a "safe space" between me and the tailgater. Usually the tailgater will get back on my butt. I repeat this again and again until they get the hint!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 07:52:54 PM »

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 08:09:10 PM »
People on my ass, even though there's a lane on the left to go around.  I am not in the fast lane.  I pull over if I can, for example if I'm in the middle and there's an open lane to my right. But it happens all the time at the speed limit, usually somebody young and off somewhere to do something REALLY important.

I want a hand signal or some other method that they will see that will tell them to back off/I see them/getoffmyassnotfairI'monagoddammotorcycl estupid.

Something other than the bird, which will eventually get me shot/run over/bad end.

Anybody got anything that you've used (more than once) that works?

Joe

The only hand gesture I know that works is to twist your right wrist back. You know, the hand grasping that round rubber thing on your right handlebar. In other words, go find that empty space in front of the next person ahead who knows how to keep a respectful distance. Pull in front of him. No use arguing with a lethal moron guiding a ton and a half of steel. Much less taking revenge on said moron with steel ball bearings and such. Just get away. Right wrist. Twist.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 08:16:32 PM »
When I can't get away from the nut jobs, I move around in my lane. That often gets their attention and they back off. At least for a while.

I was once working with an MSF instructor that was, well, she was round. She said what she did was stand on the pegs, and 'wiggle'. Yea, that is a sight burned into the retinas. But she said it worked. I tried it a few times and it may help, but I think it works better for 'large profile' people.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 10:16:43 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Mark Harpell

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 08:18:02 PM »
Pull over, let em go...not worth the hassle......
Mark

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »
I gradually allow more and more space to build up between myself and the vehicle in front of me as the tailgated continues to be on my butt. Then I quickly speed up creating a "safe space" between me and the tailgater. Usually the tailgater will get back on my butt. I repeat this again and again until they get the hint!

This. it works nine times out of 10. 
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 08:25:23 PM »
Keep tapping the brake lights?
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 08:25:56 PM »

I do that, it works when you have a 'gater that is capable of getting a clue. As will the left hand lowered, open, " slow down " signal, or tapping the brake lights.

" The only hand gesture I know that works is to twist your right wrist back. You know, the hand grasping that round rubber thing on your right handlebar. In other words, go find that empty space in front of the next person ahead who knows how to keep a respectful distance. Pull in front of him. No use arguing with a lethal moron guiding a ton and a half of steel. Much less taking revenge on said moron with steel ball bearings and such. Just get away. Right wrist. Twist. "

That works too.

There's different kinds of 'gaters. Some do it conciously, as a dominance game. Others don't even realize they're on your tail, they just close up to and follow any moving object. My (formerly wild) mustang would follow a wheelbarrow if I pushed it. Spend the first five years of your life in a herd pecking order and the habit is hard to break.

Sometimes, if you move into an open pocket and display some squirrelly behavior when you get there people will give you distance - try swerving back and forth like you do when you're scrubbing off your tires.

I'm a pocket rider. Sometimes the drivers in my proximity figure it out when they see me repeatedly seek out the middle of the pocket, and they give me some space.

Others couldn't get a clue if you sent them one by registered mail, and they'll just follow me to my new spot and camp on my tail again. I pull over one lane and decellerate a little, and when they pass I pull in behind them, then slow and drop back, opening up space and making them feel as though they passed me.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:28:01 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 08:34:36 PM »
 What the "Zone" said . Different tactics for different tailgaters . Sometimes a courteous gesture letting the driver know you aren't comfortable is enough , others require a simple acknowledgement of their obvious superiority due to being in a larger vehicle . Largely a psychological battle .

Dusty
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:35:32 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 08:41:25 PM »

I do that. 

One time going to work it was an unmarked cop that was tailgating me.   He got on his PA and was yelling at me for speeding when I was trying to get him off my ass.  I felt like pulling over and giving him the business but I had to go to work rather than get into a losing battle with the SOB. 

Freakin' cops...!!!!...

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:52:02 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 08:49:34 PM »
I have found that way too many people today think that one or two car lengths is all the distance they need.  I've been able to talk to some and when I have pointed out how close they are they just say that they have better reflexes than most and so follow as close as they want.  Yep, they really do think that.  Kinda like squids.

So, no matter what you do they will continue to follow at what they think is a 'safe' distance.

Then there are what I call the 'sheep'.  They just follow anyone and usually too close.  If you change lanes, they change lanes.  Until they find someone else to follow you are 'it'.

And, yes, there are the 'bullies'.  The ones who follow too close to 'force' you to either go faster or pull over.  And faster means however fast they can get you to go.

What do I do?  I pull over and let them by.  I used to play the games but found it did nothing to change the problem.  The most you will do is really make someone mad or end up going way over the speed limit or both, neither of which is worth it.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 08:54:02 PM »
Standing on your pegs work.

Getting away will work.

Some riders will toss something over their shoulder.
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 08:57:57 PM »
I have found that way too many people today think that one or two car lengths is all the distance they need.  I've been able to talk to some and when I have pointed out how close they are they just say that they have better reflexes than most and so follow as close as they want.  Yep, they really do think that.  Kinda like squids.

So, no matter what you do they will continue to follow at what they think is a 'safe' distance.

Then there are what I call the 'sheep'.  They just follow anyone and usually too close.  If you change lanes, they change lanes.  Until they find someone else to follow you are 'it'.

And, yes, there are the 'bullies'.  The ones who follow too close to 'force' you to either go faster or pull over.  And faster means however fast they can get you to go.

What do I do?  I pull over and let them by.  I used to play the games but found it did nothing to change the problem.  The most you will do is really make someone mad or end up going way over the speed limit or both, neither of which is worth it.

A good sock in the eye would show how fast their reflexes are.  Geees, you weren't fast enough to dodge that punch?  Huh?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 09:02:29 PM »
 I REALLY would not advise ball bearings , or any other projectile . Too many drivers are on the verge of insanity W/O any provocation . Nothing worse than having a crazy person attempting to get even.
Seriously , if you are on a four lane road , move into the fast lane , speed up , statistics indicate that travelling slightly faster than traffic flow is safer anyway , only need to worry about what is happening in front .
 Dusty
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:05:24 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 09:23:37 PM »
If my earlier method of increasing the distance doesn't work after several attempts, at least I've kept them off my butt 50% of the time!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Getting rid of tailgaters without road rage, any advice (ngc)
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 10:29:31 PM »
I agree with all the prior advice against confrontational actions.  I am especially against throwing things - partly because of the potential retaliation, but also because we don't need any more crap in the road for the fellow motorcyclists who follow.

If I want to encourage someone to pass me on the left, I will move the right a bit, then look back and make a sweeping gesture with my left arm. It's sort of an "after-you" movement as though you are encouraging someone to enter a door before you. I don't have many occasions to use it in traffic, but it's effective when I do - they either pass or back off. I also use it when a road-racer (car or motorcycle) catches me on a two-lane road. Let 'em go... ride your own ride.

1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Penderic

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »
Help from above.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 05:13:15 AM »
 I never seem to be tailgated... I ride all over the road when there's traffic... They probably think I'm drunk and back off ....Or just twist the throttle and disappear...

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 05:32:46 AM »
Twin rear facing 50 cals....
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

redrider

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 06:04:28 AM »
I installed Hyper lights on the V11 and have noticed a drastic reduction of tailgaters but some people still get too close, especially at stops. I thought of ball bearings but clear glass marbles may be a better option. A marine flare pistol mounted under the luggage rack with remote triggering? Flames from the mufflers? A chaff dispenser will come in handy for the auto braking equipped vehicles. What a glorious pile up in the mirrors. Coffee is ready now...

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 06:05:36 AM »
On highways -

Ride 9-15mph over the speed limit

Be aware that terrain is a bigger factor for cars and trucks than for us.  They often have a big differential in speed between down- and uphill.  Try to avoid these, or else you can have a repeated downhill tailgaiting situation

Always let faster traffic through by moving over, even if you're in the center lane

Make sure the 'follower' type driver attaches to someone else by leading them to someone else then putting them both behind you

Let angry drivers 'win' by making sure they are in front of you, even if you have an unintended stop for gas or side trip

Try to figure out what type of driver is in each car around you and predict what they are going to do

On back roads -

Outrun them or let them by
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 06:20:19 AM »
About 90% of the time simply flashing the brake lights seem to work.

Once in a while slow down, slow down, slow down, GUN IT.... maybe repeat if necessary, seems to work.

If neither of those work and turning around and staring at the guy doesn't do it, then he's looking for a fight and it's time to put the right turn signal on, slow down, and let him pass. You're MUCH safer with the idiot in front of you where it's a lot harder for him to run into you by accident or on purpose.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 07:32:36 AM »
Twin rear facing 50 cals....

As long as you're not angry when you trigger them, that wouldn't count as "road rage".

Speaking of different kinds of tailgaters, I was riding home on a business trip as a passenger in a rental car with one of my colleagues.

He had this mystifying habit, on a clear 4-lane highway, of driving RIGHT up behind the person in front of him and staying 10 feet off their bumper no matter how fast they were going and staying there for a mile or so.   If he was cruising at 65, and they were running 50, he would still sit RIGHT behind them, then finally pull out and pass, and do it again.   Over and over.    He wasn't fussing at them or hissing at them to move out of his way, he was calm and collected.

I could have just asked him WTH he was playing at, but instead I grabbed the keys at the next gas stop and drove the rest of the way home ....

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 07:45:08 AM »
As long as you're not angry when you trigger them, that wouldn't count as "road rage".

Speaking of different kinds of tailgaters, I was riding home on a business trip as a passenger in a rental car with one of my colleagues.

He had this mystifying habit, on a clear 4-lane highway, of driving RIGHT up behind the person in front of him and staying 10 feet off their bumper no matter how fast they were going and staying there for a mile or so.   If he was cruising at 65, and they were running 50, he would still sit RIGHT behind them, then finally pull out and pass, and do it again.   Over and over.    He wasn't fussing at them or hissing at them to move out of his way, he was calm and collected.

I could have just asked him WTH he was playing at, but instead I grabbed the keys at the next gas stop and drove the rest of the way home ....

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Lannis
A real-life experience with a follower/attacher!  I never thought these folks meant harm, they just do their (dangerous) thing
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 07:52:40 AM »
A real-life experience with a follower/attacher!  I never thought these folks meant harm, they just do their (dangerous) thing

Most of them, I think, are just stupid and dangerous, like the guy on our little local urban expressway on a Harley with incredibly high apehangers (the kind you have to stretch to reach) and way-forward controls who was riding literally 6 feet behind the bumper of the car in front of him at 65 MPH in the fast lane.   I couldn't believe it - any tap on the brakes by the car in front in response to a "gator" in the road or a brake-light on the car in front of that would have had this rider down on  his bare tattooed arms ... and he was getting NOTHING out of tailgating, because there was a full line of traffic in his lane.   He wasn't intimidating the car in front of him into going faster, there was no where to go ...

Lannis

Fuzzy

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 08:00:28 AM »
Drinking coffee, talking on the phone, trying to figure out the GPS...who had the attention span left for paying attention and driving safely? Oops, got a little close there, heh,heh.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 08:39:15 AM »

As long as we're on a roll with other drivers' habits, here's one I hate as much as tailgating.

That's drivers who are waiting on a side road to make a right or left turn onto the road you are on, who WILL NOT STOP their cars prior to pulling out. 

As you approach, even a hundred feet away, they start rolling toward the intersection you are approaching.   Now how am I supposed to know if this guy is trying to get a "hole shot" on his take-off, or if he's an alcohol, drug, or cell-drunk who can't see me coming and is going to keep rolling?

I can't tell, and so (subject to traffic behind), I start slowing down so that I can stop if he does pull out.    I'm sure it frustrates them that, because THEY are rolling, I am slowing, and so it's taking longer for their in-a-big-hurry asses to get where they are going, but I'm NOT making any optimistic assumptions about their state of mind or attention, if getting it wrong means punching in their driver's door with my wheel.

My mother, who was an excellent driver and drove for 67 years with NO accidents or tickets, had this habit.   Whenever she did it when I was riding with her, I gave her a hard time which was borderline inappropriate for a son giving his mother advice, but I never got her to really stop.   I suppose, like most drivers, she was unable to put herself in the motorcyclists shoes.

Maybe everyone in the country ought to have to have a year on a motorcycle or scooter before they can get a car driver's license.   I'll bet that would fix it!

Lannis

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 08:59:27 AM »
pocket full of ball bearings?
I don't really do that of course.. I just speed away..and find,

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here