Author Topic: Getting rid of tailgaters without road rage, any advice (ngc)  (Read 21506 times)

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Getting rid of tailgaters without road rage, any advice (ngc)
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2016, 09:02:48 AM »
Quote from Lannis:
Maybe everyone in the country ought to have to have a year on a motorcycle or scooter before they can get a car driver's license.   I'll bet that would fix it!

And I would add that everyone should have to have some experience driving a heavy truck, even if just for a day with an instructor along.

Another favorite is entering an interstate on the ramp while looking over your shoulder for an opening than look forward to find out the car in front of you just stopped completely at the end of the ramp instead of merging.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2016, 09:06:31 AM »
As long as we're on a roll with other drivers' habits, here's one I hate as much as tailgating.

That's drivers who are waiting on a side road to make a right or left turn onto the road you are on, who WILL NOT STOP their cars prior to pulling out. 

As you approach, even a hundred feet away, they start rolling toward the intersection you are approaching.   Now how am I supposed to know if this guy is trying to get a "hole shot" on his take-off, or if he's an alcohol, drug, or cell-drunk who can't see me coming and is going to keep rolling? <snip>

Lannis

I was riding down a main road at 55 when one of those "can't come to a complete stop" drivers was at an intersection on the right side. I slow down expecting him to pull out but he just keeps slowly rolling. I start weaving side to side in my lane and he still does not come to a complete stop. I pull to the far right of my lane as I pass the intersection and notice a LEO behind the car. Thinking he is going to stop me for unsafe driving or suspected DUI I am planning on how to explain my actions to them. To my surprise the LEO followed the car and pulled them over.  :bow: :thumb:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 09:35:59 AM »
Coming home from the Kentucky Rally on Saturday night, I was being tail gated by a pickup truck with no head lights on.  I had know idea the truck was behind me.   

I-64 between Louisville, Ky and Lexington, Ky is like the AutoBahn.  Unlimited speeding and no Police.  I was traveling between 80-100 mph.  The truck hit their headlights and passed me.  I had followed the truck previously and the truck had followed me for a while.  For a beat up S-10, it was extremely fast. 

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 09:45:39 AM »
You can mount a luggage trunk on a spring system (bobblehead style) - I'm sure that will freak them out. Actually, I might do that myself  :cheesy:
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 09:45:39 AM »

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 10:05:54 AM »
As long as we're on a roll with other drivers' habits, here's one I hate as much as tailgating.
That droid Google car creating a safety problem for others by driving too cautiously. 
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 10:08:01 AM »
You can mount a luggage trunk on a spring system (bobblehead style) - I'm sure that will freak them out. Actually, I might do that myself  :cheesy:

With a release switch for the 'Jack In The Box' surprise. LOL
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Penderic

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 10:10:07 AM »
How about some Inflatable Butt Cheeks?

:evil:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 10:10:52 AM »
the next worst thing to being tailgated is someone driving in your blind spot.   I usually wave them around me, wave, slow down, anything to get their attention.  Many times, they don't understand. 

I used to just hit the throttle to get away from blind spotters or tailgaters but the local enforcement won't allow it.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 10:24:49 AM »
With a release switch for the 'Jack In The Box' surprise. LOL

Even better! I think we are getting somewhere on this now  :grin:
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2016, 10:46:20 AM »
People used to leave me alone on the highway when I wore a helmet that looked like a cop helmet. Then they would figure  it out. Too late, respect already given..... :wink:

2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2016, 11:04:55 AM »
 Yep Shorty , I rode a white airhead RT for years , don a black leather jacket and an open face helmet, watch the cars move over , slow down , panic , kind of puts a lie to the idea that motorbikes are invisible . In Oklahoma we have a few Troopers mounted on 'Busas , mostly out around OKC , bet they can put a scare into cars drivers  :evil:

Dusty

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2016, 11:20:21 AM »
Over the last year, I've kept track of who tailgates me on my bike and in my car... 70% female & 30% male.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: Getting rid of tailgators without road rage, any advice (ngc)
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2016, 11:37:50 AM »
Pull over, let em go...not worth the hassle......

I agree, but I found that you need to wait a couple seconds before you get back on the road, or the driver can get the idea you're trying to get even.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2016, 12:36:15 PM »
 I had a friend in Oregon in the seventies who used a .357 with great success.
 His wife in the sidecar handed him the pistol and he twisted in the saddle and put a round in the center of the windshield between the two a$$h--es who had been badgerig him for miles.   He handed his wife the gun and opened the throttle.
 The car was still sitting where it had stopped when he went out of sight.
  I would call that successful communication.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2016, 01:04:16 PM »
 I would call that a felony .

Dusty

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2016, 01:06:56 PM »
The ones that amuse me the most are the nose gaters. These are the people that follow you like a puppy dog, then when you shoo them past you into a wide open set of lanes they balk at being first. They slow to your speed and just stay a little ahead of you.

This is a common horse behavior  - being prey animals being out in front can make them nervous. Probably the reason the winning jockey still has to remind his mount that the race needs to be finished.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2016, 01:25:54 PM »
funny. 

today I was driving to the gym when a woman pulled up into my blind spot on the right lane and was simultaneously tailgating the car in front of her.

I blew my horn and she jumped a mile, she didn't know where it came from.  I pulled ahead (about 10 over to pass both cars) while she stayed glued to bumper of the guy in the right lane. 

:whip2:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2016, 01:28:01 PM »
Given that behavior like

1)  Shooting into a moving car from a motorcycle.

2)  Throwing a handful of nuts or ball bearings into a windshield

3)  Throwing a sparkplug into a windshield

would not only be documented these days on a dash-cam or would be photographed with a phone, but would ALSO be heavily reported to the police, and would undoubtedly make the news even if the perpetrator wasn't caught ...

I hereby go out on a limb and will say that these acts are CLAIMED about 10,000 times for times that they ACTUALLY HAPPEN.   

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.   I've been on the road among bikers of all stripes since 1970.   I've listened to people talk about how fast their motorcycles will go, about how many fish they've caught, and how many wenches they've bedded.  I have a well-developed sense of smell as a result.

I'm calling B.S. on the "sparkplug/ball bearing/bullet from a motorcycle through the windshield" smack.   If someone has a news article or police report in this all-information-available age corroborating (corroborating, not just shouting it louder) that it has EVER actually happened, much less the THOUSANDS of times I've heard it CLAIMED to have happened over 46 years, I'm glad to listen and be educated.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »
The ones that amuse me the most are the nose gaters. These are the people that follow you like a puppy dog, then when you shoo them past you into a wide open set of lanes they balk at being first. They slow to your speed and just stay a little ahead of you.

This is a common horse behavior  - being prey animals being out in front can make them nervous. Probably the reason the winning jockey still has to remind his mount that the race needs to be finished.

That's a good theory.   Mine has always been that it's part of the all-American "I Have To Beat You" mentality.   People will act like they're in a nell of a hurry while you're in front, but once "They've Beat You" they're satisfied, and slow to a reasonable speed.   There's no one to beat ...

Lannis

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2016, 01:36:38 PM »
I'm calling B.S. on the "sparkplug/ball bearing/bullet from a motorcycle through the windshield" smack.   If someone has a news article or police report in this all-information-available age corroborating (corroborating, not just shouting it louder) that it has EVER actually happened, much less the THOUSANDS of times I've heard it CLAIMED to have happened over 46 years, I'm glad to listen and be educated.

I used to have a riding buddy who once put a brick through the back window of a car belonging to a driver who had done him wrong, but he did wait until the guy got home and parked the car.  While working as a messenger in DC, he also punched out the driver's side window of a car that cut him off.  He was pulling little slivers of glass out of his hand months later, as the pieces worked their way to the surface.

But that guy was a friend of mine, so to you he's a friend of a friend, or a FOAF, so I don't expect you to buy the stories.  :)
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2016, 01:49:40 PM »
But that guy was a friend of mine, so to you he's a friend of a friend, or a FOAF, so I don't expect you to buy the stories.  :)

That's quite all right, and thanks, but (without passing judgment on an individual case of hearsay {"I heared him say it!"}, if these things happen even 1% of the times that they're told, there's going to be a report, or an accusation, or an angry driver calling the cops, and a reporter or a dashcam picking up the story ...

... and there never is ....

Lannis

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: Getting rid of tailgators without road rage, any advice (ngc)
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2016, 03:54:30 PM »
On the bike, I just speed up but in the car I just pull over and let them pass.  Too many crazy people out there and I'd rather have them speeding away from me.

That's what I often exactly what I do...either speed WAY UP and leave them in the dust...or pull over and let them in front of me where I can watch them... :thumb: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2016, 03:58:12 PM »
Speeding up for tailgaters teaches them that tailgating works to get people to speed up.

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2016, 04:24:35 PM »
In town at night I have had great success with a little gizmo that projects a red line on the ground a car length behind me.  I am amazed at how often the cars actually stay behind the line at stop lights. 

During the day and on the highway I find that randomly varying my speed as others have suggested works wonders.  The tailgaiters can't handle it if they can't set their cruise control.  The trick to doing this without triggering road rage seems to be to do it randomly, so you don't appear to be trying to take control but rather just casual about your speed. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2016, 04:35:38 PM »
Please remember that throwing anything at a moving vehicle on a public road (much less shooting) is a serious crime and could put you behind bars for a *long* time.  Please don't do this, I don't want to visit friends in jail.  Even if you don't go to jail you may end up with a very annoying probation for some time and almost certainly lose your CWP forever. Is it worth it?
BTW, you don't even have to hit the vehicle, just throwing something *at* the vehicle with intent is enough. 

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2016, 04:38:42 PM »
If it's safe to do I'll pass the guy in front of me. Otherwise I'll wave the tailgater to pass me. Either way, the next guy inherits the tailgater.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2016, 04:52:38 PM »
Another favorite is entering an interstate on the ramp while looking over your shoulder for an opening than look forward to find out the car in front of you just stopped completely at the end of the ramp instead of merging.
GliderJohn
This is my greatest fear riding, going right along with the deer jumping out in front of the guy I am going to pass just as I do my shoulder check.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2016, 05:14:05 PM »

I used to have that happen fairly often on the DC Beltway when I rode my H2 to school every day.  The ramps were plenty wide to just pass the stopped car on the right with plenty of room between us.  I figured that if a cop stopped me, I'd just say that it appeared the guy stalled on the ramp.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2016, 06:01:13 PM »
 Lannis likes to call bullshit about things he knows nothing about merely because he knows nothing about them.
 The guy who shot through the windshield was a personal friend of mine and Knowing him as I do I have no reason to disbelieve the story both he and his brother told me on different occasions.  It happened in the mountains of Oregon in the seventies with no other witnesses and in the days before dash cams and cell phones.  These were the days when I would go into a roadside bar and check my pistol with the bartender who would put it in his gun cabinet behind the bar with everyone elses guns then ask what I was having.  Lannis is an opinionated old fool who often operates his mouth before operating his brain.  I call bullshit on most of what Lannis says.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2016, 06:08:06 PM »
 :popcorn:  :boozing: :popcorn:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here