Author Topic: Getting rid of tailgaters without road rage, any advice (ngc)  (Read 21301 times)

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Getting rid of tailgaters without road rage, any advice (ngc)
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2016, 06:30:27 PM »
My solution is to ride so fast no one is able to tailgate.  Then again, my accumulation of speeding tickets would indicate this causes a whole different set of problems.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2016, 06:35:27 PM »
Lannis likes to call bullshit about things he knows nothing about merely because he knows nothing about them.
 The guy who shot through the windshield was a personal friend of mine and Knowing him as I do I have no reason to disbelieve the story both he and his brother told me on different occasions.  It happened in the mountains of Oregon in the seventies with no other witnesses and in the days before dash cams and cell phones.  These were the days when I would go into a roadside bar and check my pistol with the bartender who would put it in his gun cabinet behind the bar with everyone elses guns then ask what I was having.  Lannis is an opinionated old fool who often operates his mouth before operating his brain.  I call bullshit on most of what Lannis says.

I for one am glad we have Landis (who the hell is Lannis?) calling bullshit and Jim calling out the truth.

where would we be without both of them?   Tell 'em Bluto!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:36:29 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2016, 07:07:19 PM »
Lannis likes to call bullshit about things he knows nothing about merely because he knows nothing about them.

Well, in fact I was asking if ANYONE had any corroborating evidence other than "A friend of a friend told a story in a bar".   I guess the answer's still no.

The guy who shot through the windshield was a personal friend of mine and Knowing him as I do I have no reason to disbelieve the story both he and his brother told me on different occasions.  It happened in the mountains of Oregon in the seventies with no other witnesses and in the days before dash cams and cell phones.  These were the days when I would go into a roadside bar and check my pistol with the bartender who would put it in his gun cabinet behind the bar with everyone elses guns then ask what I was having. 

Maybe this thing that happened 40 years ago that you heard about is the one in 10,000 that really happened.  You can have that one.  And I keep my piece under my jacket and don't check it with nobody.

Lannis is an opinionated old fool who often operates his mouth before operating his brain.  I call bullshit on most of what Lannis says.

"Fool", maybe, I'm no judge.   But I'd sure's hell consider the source before I took "opinionated" and "old" on board.   I can't hold a candle to your WG performances over the years.   :bow:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2016, 07:14:26 PM »
I for one am glad we have Landis (who the hell is Lannis?) calling bullshit and Jim calling out the truth.

where would we be without both of them?   Tell 'em Bluto!

And a Peanut Gallery to make comments.  Don't forget them!    :grin:

Lannis

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2016, 07:14:26 PM »

Offline Steve Scott

• Gaggle Hero
  • Ride, Fettle, Repeat
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2016, 10:05:03 PM »
One morning I confounded a very aggressive tailgater by sticking my point-n-shoot camera up through the sunroof (car... I was in the car) and taking a very visible flash picture rearward. The guy just backed off and stayed backed off. It completely defused the situation without causing additional strife, I just don't think he knew what to do.

'Never did figure out how to duplicate this on a bike. It has to be very obvious and visible in order to work.
'79 Morini 500S
'00 'Guzzi Jackal
'67 Teisco ET-440
Spring Grove, PA USA

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2016, 10:28:47 PM »
Interesting.  Just mount a Xenon flash tube somewhere at the rear of the bike, with a fire button on the handlebar.  Or a similar LED flash that would do the same thing.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2016, 10:49:19 PM »
A faux GoPro mounted on the rear would be fun, with a button to trigger the flash on the handlebar.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2016, 11:29:54 PM »
And a Peanut Gallery to make comments.  Don't forget them!    :grin:

Lannis

yeah Landis, think of all of us "little people".   Where would you be without us?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2016, 07:40:38 AM »
yeah Landis, think of all of us "little people".   Where would you be without us?

The only way to spot "little people" is from their "little comments".   :grin:   Otherwise there's no way to tell.

Lannis

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2016, 09:14:03 AM »
LMAO
John L 

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2016, 09:52:18 AM »
Some people are just born tailgaters. Apparently, they can't help themselves.

I will often tap my brake light on, slow down, pull over to the right to let them pass, wave them to pass, wave them to back off, or some combination of these. Alternatively, I will pass the car in front of me to provide a buffer just in case.

Fortunately, though, my white Norge looks like a police bike. People usually give me a wide berth and sometimes even pull over in front of me and stop (obviously a sign of guilt!).
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2016, 09:59:02 AM »
Fortunately, though, my white Norge looks like a police bike. People usually give me a wide berth and sometimes even pull over in front of me and stop (obviously a sign of guilt!).

I'll never be able to take advantage of that; all the local motor cops as well as the State Troopers are on black-and-blue Harleys .... Besides which, they all wear little half-helmets, I'd never be able to fit in ....

Lannis

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2016, 10:19:13 AM »

That's funny.  I'm pretty sure when I'm riding my white Mille, and wearing black pants and a blue jacket, there have been some drivers who think I'm a cop.  It's not always an advantage though, because sometimes the drivers in front of me slow down to just under the speed limit when they see me in the mirror.  We don't even have motorcycle cops in this area.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »
I drive quite a bit for work. Here, the speed limit is 65- and i set my cruise control for 70. Rarely have any problem with tailgaters. The only time I see tailgaters is when someone insists on being "the keeper of the speed" by insisting on going two miles an hour below the posted speed.

I'm not trying to pass judgement- but if people are continually on your ass and you are always getting passed...then you are not keeping up with the natural flow of traffic.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2016, 01:14:30 PM »
BD, please don't pass judgment on me!  I am one of those that sets my cruise to a few miles under the limit for a reason.  I work for a utility where the Directors have decided to install speed monitors on all of the company vehicles.  We will get written up for exceeding the speed limit.  One mile an hour over is grounds to be written up.  We have complained about this, pointing out that going down hill, the cruise will not always maintain the speed limit but will creep up a bit.  The answer from management is to set the cruise below the limit so that does not happen!  My commute involves a 30 mile trip along a state highway with a military installation halfway in between.  It is not amusing to have a queue of 10 cars trying to get to work on time.  I feel its just a matter of time before some road rager gets into an accident passing me at the wrong time and place, but have no way to control this situation.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »
I feel its just a matter of time before some road rager gets into an accident passing me at the wrong time and place, but have no way to control this situation.

Things like this can be made to defeat themselves.  In your case, I suggest getting in front of the guys who enacted this policy when they're on their way to work, one each morning, and set your cruise control to be about 5 or 10 under the limit.  You just have to find out the route they take to work, and pull out a few cars ahead of them, so they can experience the backups for themselves.  I bet you can get your coworkers to join in the fun.

Lcarlson

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2016, 01:59:09 PM »
I just turn on my emergency flashers as a first resort, and it often works (tailgater just being oblivious). But not always.

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »
Triple Jim, O that it were that easy.  The head shed is in town and my work center is out of town.  The hardest part is when I turn off the main highway and have to keep it under 55 for a seven mile stretch when I am usually the only vehicle on the road!

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2016, 03:10:47 PM »
Interesting read.   :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:  I've used most of the strategies as explained previously.  Haven't shot at anyone but when I rode in AZ, the law was open carry.  Always carry when in the AZ outback.  I carried on my left backside so that it was visible from behind.  That was a good deterent.  Nothing like the Dirty Dozen going by with them packing shotguns.   :grin:  Outside of the urban areas, you'd check in your "piece" with the bartender.  Different place of the country and different thinking.  Doesn't hurt to have a snake load as your 1st round.   :grin:

Weaving in your lane of traffic.  Doing the "rubber band" works most of the time.  Passing other vehicles works and letting them be the moving roadblock works real well until you get pulled over by a LEO.  Fortunately, the last time was in the fog and I didn't get a ticket.  Much explanation and he was a MSF instructor and motorcycle rider and enthusiast. :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2016, 12:23:58 AM »
You could bob the rear fender.

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2016, 03:31:11 PM »
I am thinking of installing a rear facing laser light aimed  at the hood level. Switched of course. or maybe a mounted paintball gun that can be remotely actuated.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2016, 04:12:41 PM »
I am thinking of installing a rear facing laser light aimed  at the hood level. Switched of course. or maybe a mounted paintball gun that can be remotely actuated.
LOL..  When they lock you up be sure and post your address so we can send a cake with a hacksaw in it. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2016, 04:21:41 PM »
In town at night I have had great success with a little gizmo that projects a red line on the ground a car length behind me.  I am amazed at how often the cars actually stay behind the line at stop lights. 

During the day and on the highway I find that randomly varying my speed as others have suggested works wonders.  The tailgaiters can't handle it if they can't set their cruise control.  The trick to doing this without triggering road rage seems to be to do it randomly, so you don't appear to be trying to take control but rather just casual about your speed.

:thumb: as an alternative.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2016, 04:34:52 PM »
I have not been questioned about that light and I have stopped at a light ahead of LEO a couple times.  I was a bit worried at first.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2016, 04:40:27 PM »
It's an enhanced tail light and that's isn't aimed at driver's face that is behind you.

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2016, 04:47:02 PM »
You can get em in all kinds of fancy patterns if you want.. 

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:51:10 PM by atavar »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2016, 04:56:24 PM »
I guess it could be wired in the brake lights.....? 

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2016, 06:11:29 PM »
LOL..  When they lock you up be sure and post your address so we can send a cake with a hacksaw in it.

That would be a pretty big cake. And isn't it traditionally a file? Red suspenders content - the file/saw would either be worn out (cheap), or new Harbor Freight.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 06:12:02 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2016, 04:48:15 AM »

With the tall winter windshield on, my F800GT looks somewhat like a BMW RTP police bike.   I've noticed that on four lane roads, often people actually move out of my way way more often than when I'm on my other bikes.     I didn't think about this until a friend that I happened upon in traffic later told me that my bike looked like a police bike.

The funny thing is, I don't think that the PA State Police use motorcycles, at least not in our area, and the only bikes I ever see local LEOs on are Harleys.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline SmokinJoe

• New Egg
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2016, 08:14:26 AM »
  In the south we try to defuse our anger with varying success by repeating the zen mantra "bless their hearts".
Wearing my gun open carry is rare and only when heading to my  volunteer job as rangemaster at our SO range or to the gun store I work at one day a week. But even going to a match with a shotgun and rifle tied on pointing backward doesn't discourage as many as you'd think. I've been hit 2 times stopped at red lights, both times I was heading to or from a job and openly wearing my .357. They're just not looking.
  A friend was killed recently by the most common type of car vs motorcycle accident. Left turning pick up took him out.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here