Author Topic: Old Guzzi used as fence post..........  (Read 25526 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Old Guzzi used as fence post..........
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »
I would have bought that if I was in Idaho and Idaho is a large state.  Rent a pu and put that and my Sp in the truck and both would head to the Moscow area.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2016, 09:29:22 PM »
I was one of the local 500
But not the chosen first
Hopefully someone posts proof of purchase soon

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2016, 10:15:46 AM »
Without reading the entire thread, did someone here buy this bike, or is it still in the conversation stage?

I gave the owners contact info to someone in Washington who was very interested. So it should be a done deal. There was a Guzzi dealer here so I keep hoping to make a "garage find" of a California that just needs a little (very little) work to be ride able. Never thought there would be so much interest in this and almost did not post as I thought it had deteriorated to the junk level. One mans trash is another's treasure.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »
Hello All,
     I guess it is time to introduce myself. I bought the v7 sport. I have been a member of Wild Guzzi for years, look at it sometimes, but have never written anything. I am still working - a custom home builder with 5 employees, have 3 grown kids and 4 grown step kids and a bunch of grandchildren, so don't have a lot of time to mess around on the computer. Plus I am a 2 finger typist, so it is kind of slow going. I live south of Kettle Falls, WA, on the side of a mountain, near the Columbia River. It is about 85 miles north of Spokane.  I am 62 years old and started riding as a senior in high school. I got my first Guzzi in 1999,  and not counting the v7 sport have 6. A T3, LM3, Eldorado, v11 Lemans, Griso and Norge. I also have an xb9s Buell and a BSA Rocket 3 I got from my uncle, that he had when I was in high school! I enjoy working on old bikes, and belong to the VME and the WVM. The v7 is going to take some work! A couple of my step sons live in Boise, so I am fairly familiar with the area. Apparently I turned on the computer right after Mike posted it, and I immediately replied. That is why I got first crack at it. I have had really good luck getting bikes near Boise. My Eldo and my Griso both came from there.
     The guy who had the v7 is a really nice guy, and interesting to talk to. He really was using it as a lawn decoration. He was a FedEx driver, and it was in a field where he delivered a package. He asked the resident about the bike. He said someone was going by on it and it broke down, and the guy just left it in his field. It sat there for several years until the Fed Ex man asked about it. The resident said "if you like it you can just take it," so that is how he came to have it. He thought it was cool because it was unusual and beautfully styled. I gave him $500 for it. Unfortunately there is no title, no plate, and nobody knows who the guy who left it in the field was. Plus it was over 10 years ago. I really want to rebuild it, since it is a v7 sport.  I have quite a collection of Guzzi parts that I have collected over the years. Many of them will work on the v7 sport.  I don't want to put any money into it, though until I get the title squared away. Time to visit the Washington State Patrol and check out the VIN number.
     I will definitely keep you all posted on the progress of this project with a very interesting history. How often does somebody come across a v7 sport sitting out in a field?  Kind of like the 900ss that was in Motorcycle Classics a couple months ago.   I will have to learn how to post pictures. I can't wait to hose it all down with Move-It  (the world's greatest penetrating oil. Those of us lucky enough to live near Canada can get it up there.) It looks like it will need a couple gallons. It will be snowing soon and then the fun can begin!

Simon Abeid
Kettle Falls, WA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2016, 06:49:19 PM »
Also a big thank you to Mike (Cafeinno) for letting us know about this and contacting the guy who had it.

Si

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2016, 07:15:34 PM »
Congratulations Simon, it looks like the old girl is in good hands.

I look forward to following the restoration process.
Cheers
Roy
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2016, 08:02:01 PM »
Fantastic story
I'd have to find out what stopped it that could warrant parking & running away, it might be very easy to miss in resto but would be very funny to find a wire come off coil or similar, even funnier if original "parker" comes on and tells his story, Maybe a girl involved, bike had stopped 10 times that day, she said "it's me or the bike" and she was prettier ?

Offline ritratto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2016, 08:58:57 PM »
Boy, you can't make up stuff like this! What a great tale. Looking forward to the rest of the story.
Good for you Simon and the best of luck with the resto.

Ted

P.S. I have an extra gage base if you need it. (Seemed to be missing in the photos)
1993 1000S
1978 G5
1998 Centauro ( oppsidaisy!)
2003 V11 LeMans

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2016, 12:45:22 AM »
Congrats Simon.  :thumb:  Good luck with it.  Definitely pursue the title hunt too.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2016, 07:45:15 AM »
Has any one here had any luck with the Vermont registration trick or any of the online title services recently? I have heard that the loopholes have been tightened up in the last couple years.

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2016, 08:24:34 AM »
Thanks Caffieineo! This has been one of the most enjoyable threads posted in quite some time. :thumb:
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline yellowheader

• New Egg
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2016, 09:49:44 AM »
I keep hoping to make a "garage find" of a California that just needs a little (very little) work to be ride able.

Caffeineo, how about this: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/calgary/guzzi-california-111/1202745202?enableSearchNavigat ionFlag=true
Maybe not a "barn find" price, but very reasonable IMO. It has been listed since mid-summer, so he's probably willing to deal. And remember he's asking in 75-cent Canadian dollars.  That raises the question of importation though...

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2016, 10:09:01 AM »
Has any one here had any luck with the Vermont registration trick or any of the online title services recently? I have heard that the loopholes have been tightened up in the last couple years.

You may want to have one of your sons try here. I have had great luck with the Caldwell DMV. I bought a dirt bike out of state and they were going to give me the off road tags until I told them I wanted a license plate for it. A few key strokes later and I have a license plate for my dirt bike. Not sure how that would translate to no title but, unlike most govt. offices, the Caldwell DMV has been very friendly and helpful to me.  :thumb:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2016, 10:15:46 AM »

I'd say find out your state's procedure for titling an untitled vehicle first.  I did that a couple years ago in NC, and was able to get a plate and registration for a barn-find bike in three days.  It cost $100 more than the normal title and registration fees, which is a lot less than some of the Vermont type procedures.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »
Caffeineo, how about this: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/calgary/guzzi-california-111/1202745202?enableSearchNavigat ionFlag=true
Maybe not a "barn find" price, but very reasonable IMO. It has been listed since mid-summer, so he's probably willing to deal. And remember he's asking in 75-cent Canadian dollars.  That raises the question of importation though...

Thanks, but I'm saving my pennies for a red 1400 Eldorado but if a good deal on a Bassa or EV came up locally it would be hard to pass up. Still kicking myself for selling the Bassa.  :cry:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2016, 10:51:20 AM »
I'd say find out your state's procedure for titling an untitled vehicle first.  I did that a couple years ago in NC, and was able to get a plate and registration for a barn-find bike in three days.  It cost $100 more than the normal title and registration fees, which is a lot less than some of the Vermont type procedures.

This one charges $150 + sales and use taxes, not that bad IMO.
http://www.motorecyclenow.com/title-service.html
Charlie

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2016, 01:39:57 PM »
Some how the treasure hunt starts now.  A WA resident buys a bike from a seller in ID.  Abandoned vehicle in ID.  I listed DMV in ID and WA.  Good luck.  As suggested maybe you can circumvent the process by going the "Vermont" route.  A suggestion....obtai ning a bill of sale and limited power of attorney from the seller to you for the abandoned vehicle on his property. 

Washington State Department of Licensing.  360.902.3770

http://www.dmv.org/id-idaho/replacing-a-lost-title.php

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/abandoned.html

Offline ritratto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2016, 03:03:21 PM »
In Texas, one may also apply for an abandoned vehicle title, not sure how that works, but know a few folks who have done. It seemed it was not too costly either.
1993 1000S
1978 G5
1998 Centauro ( oppsidaisy!)
2003 V11 LeMans

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2016, 03:30:17 PM »
Most states have an abandoned vehicle clause for titles.  It may involve a surety bond and DMV titles to check & see if the vehicle is not stolen. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:00:19 PM by Tom »

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2016, 07:38:09 PM »
Congratulations Simon!   :thumb:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 07:38:57 PM by SED »
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2016, 09:50:17 PM »
That's great it went to a good home! Keep us posted on the progress!
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2016, 09:51:16 AM »
I bet if you got it in a truck and took it to your local DMV so they could see it, you would get a title without too much problem. Unless they call the men in white coats to get you........  :blank:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2016, 10:03:12 AM »
I bet if you got it in a truck and took it to your local DMV so they could see it, you would get a title without too much problem. Unless they call the men in white coats to get you........  :blank:

That's the way to go in Virginia, and maybe other states.    A medium sized city DMV office will have a couple cubicles or offices with Virginia State Police investigators in it.   If you roll up in a truck with a bike you want to title, show it to those guys (might need an appointment, maybe not), tell 'em what you want to do, they will help get it done.   The clerks up front don't have the training or pay level to help you with that at all.

I've done it with abandoned vehicle forms, foreign titles, bills of sale, and it's always gone easy.   If you're standing there in front of them with your ID in your own licensed vehicle and letting them know that you want to make sure the old bike you want to title is legit, they are 100% on your side then.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2016, 10:45:15 AM »
I agree, with the exception that in NC, the vehicle has to be "road worthy" before you can get the title.  Here's how I did my Yamaha DT100:

http://www.kawi2strokes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8317&p=82250
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2016, 01:11:05 PM »
The DMV in Caldwell would be the 2nd place to go.  Bill of sale for an abandoned vehicle and limited power of attorney for that bike from the seller would be the first place to stop.  Get it notarized too.  It can be on the same form.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2016, 01:57:28 PM »
Has any one here had any luck with the Vermont registration trick or any of the online title services recently?

I used Vermont to title the Triumph, 18 months ago. They required a frame number certification from a local law enforcement office, though they actually accepted a certification from my smog station. It means trucking the vehicle over there for the inspection.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2016, 10:13:47 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas. I went to see the State Patrol in Colville yesterday to see about them looking at it for an abandoned or junk vehicle title.  Their office is closed until Nov 8. That will give me time to check into some of these alternatives.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas. I went to see the State Patrol in Colville yesterday to see about them looking at it for an abandoned or junk vehicle title.  Their office is closed until Nov 8. That will give me time to check into some of these alternatives.

I would do whatever it took to get a legit title.  "Abandoned" or "Junk" title will haunt you down the road after dumping a bunch of money into it and wanting to sell.

Imagine a pristine V7 Sport for sale, and the add stating "Selling with Abandoned Title".  Buyer beware.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2016, 05:27:08 PM »
In Washington you can get a title for an untitled bike after 3 years.  It is not a "salvage" title.  During that time it can be registered for the road.  I've done it twice with bikes and my brother has done it with a car.  The 3 years starts with a WSP inspection and search through their stolen vehicle database.

With no title, DoL won't issue a title without a WSP inspection, and you can't get an inspection unless you have a complete bike.  However, You can probably get them to run the frame # without an inspection. 

I was building the '39 Ariel from parts and had an untitled frame.  Instead of building the bike, then having it inspected, I called  the WSP inspector, gave them the number over the phone and they called back and told me it was not on their list.  I built it into a complete bike, WSP inspected it and now have the title. 

1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2016, 06:15:47 PM »
Thank you, Shawn. That is exactly what I needed to hear from a fellow Washingtonian that has already been through it.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here