Author Topic: Eclipse  (Read 21502 times)

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Eclipse
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2017, 05:06:13 PM »
well the clouds didn't help me but here goes.

got dark, like twilight,  the cicadas were screaching

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2017, 05:43:18 PM »

I'd be willing to bet we were the only Guzzi riders in Ironton,Mo.

We had blue sky's!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:45:35 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2017, 05:53:42 PM »

This is a shot of my Moto Guzzi near Guernsey, Wyoming. As a 6 year old nearby said: "Totality is fun!"
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »

This is a shot of my Moto Guzzi near Guernsey, Wyoming. As a 6 year old nearby said: "Totality is fun!"

Nice contrast, did you remove your lens cap?  :laugh:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
That's amazing. I've taken that very same picture..  :smiley: :boozing:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2017, 07:18:13 PM »
9 months from now many 3 headed children will be born!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Online Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2017, 07:53:25 PM »
Well Idaho did not see the overwhelming flood of eclipse tourist predicted (hoped for). I went up a dirt road between the 2 major (for Idaho) highways to get into totality. Joined by other locals. Enjoyed the totality. Just got some dogs from a near by farm howling and a rooster making noise. There was a long line of traffic that we easily got around by taking side roads. Gas stations still had gas and stores had food on their shelves. The 50K visitors predicted for Weiser was closer to 6K. But a good time was had by all.  :boozing:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline MotoChuck250

• Hatchling
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2017, 08:39:05 PM »
Buddy and I rode from Wichita, Ks to Beatrice, Ne. A friends relatives were hosting an Eclipse party and we got invited.  Low thin clouds drifted past during partiality hiding and revealing the crescent sun.  We did get to see it a number of times during the 1-1/2 hrs leading up to totality.  A few minutes before totality we were granted a hole in the clouds and were able to watch the entire 2 min 38 sec without interruption!  :grin:  After totality the clouds came back but we did get to see the partial sun a number of times again while there was still a portion of the sun obstructed.

I have to say that the experience was absolutely unlike any natural phenomenon that I have ever seen before.  Was watching the last sliver of the sun wink out through the welding lenses and when I came out from under the hood the entire world had changed.  The quality of the light was unlike anything I have ever seen before.  I have seen a partial before but the experience of totality is absolutely different from a partial.  To see the corona hanging in the dark sky with the naked eye is mind boggling.  The 360 degree "sunset" all around the horizon was also quite breathtaking. 

Have heard people talk about a total eclipse as a "religious experience" and I can now understand where that feeling comes from.  I also now get why folks spend tens of thousands of dollars to fly around the world chasing these events. The good Lord willing I would like to try and make it to the 2024 eclipse.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2017, 07:39:10 AM »
Buddy and I rode from Wichita, Ks to Beatrice, Ne. A friends relatives were hosting an Eclipse party and we got invited.  Low thin clouds drifted past during partiality hiding and revealing the crescent sun.  We did get to see it a number of times during the 1-1/2 hrs leading up to totality.  A few minutes before totality we were granted a hole in the clouds and were able to watch the entire 2 min 38 sec without interruption!  :grin:  After totality the clouds came back but we did get to see the partial sun a number of times again while there was still a portion of the sun obstructed.

I have to say that the experience was absolutely unlike any natural phenomenon that I have ever seen before.  Was watching the last sliver of the sun wink out through the welding lenses and when I came out from under the hood the entire world had changed.  The quality of the light was unlike anything I have ever seen before.  I have seen a partial before but the experience of totality is absolutely different from a partial.  To see the corona hanging in the dark sky with the naked eye is mind boggling.  The 360 degree "sunset" all around the horizon was also quite breathtaking. 

Have heard people talk about a total eclipse as a "religious experience" and I can now understand where that feeling comes from.  I also now get why folks spend tens of thousands of dollars to fly around the world chasing these events. The good Lord willing I would like to try and make it to the 2024 eclipse.

Made me think of what an insignificant speck we really are in this universe. Hadn't gotten that feeling since the 1st time I stood on the edge of the Grand Canyon.

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2017, 08:08:17 AM »

OK, OK... here is proof, at 95%, that I was there. The flash went off, so it changed it. I would have liked to have lit up a cigar, but the flood of moving cars started within 30 seconds after totality. Had to get moving to stay ahead of the crowd... didn't work. The stopped traffic on the interstate north of Cheyenne Wyoming was truly impressive. I had to go 140 miles east into Nebraska to find a path back south. I think that some of those people must still be there...
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2017, 12:19:02 PM »
Visited a friend in Georgia whose house was in the path of totality. I left after the totality event. Roads were totally messed up heading north. It took my 2 hours to go the 70 miles to the interstate. Once I got there, no better, however I was better able to split lanes. I must have split lanes from Knoxville Tennessee to Blacksburg Va. Was hairy. My GPS kept updating when I'd get home. I was willing to drive to 1:30am, but when it adjusted my arrival home (in Arlington Va) to 3am. I looked for a cheap motel. I got up at 4:30 and was home by 9:30am. I did 300 miles in 7 hours on Monday. 300 miles in about 4.5 hours on Tuesday. The license plates on the road were from every northern state imaginable. Folks came out for this...

The Eclipse? Awesome. My friend had a big field, and I stood on one edge, and could see the leading edge of the shadow sweep across. Best images were through a colander. I had a #13 welding glass, but my friends paper glasses were better. Orange tinged rather than green.

Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2017, 05:57:40 PM »
So we rode to the intersection of 65 and I 70 in Missouri.  Stopped for gas and snacks and checked cloud cover and stuff.  Made the decision to get on I 70, which was moving well 90 minutes before totality, and head east for around 30 miles to get to clearer skies.

Turned out to be a good decision as we ended up in a cemetery several miles south of I 70. Since it was a rural area there were only a few other cars of people there, the clouds cooperated, and the experience was super cool.  As soon as it went full, the crickets and tree frogs started on cue and the ring around the moon was incredible.

We rode from Central Oklahoma to Branson on Sunday, then Monday rode 200 miles North and back to Branson. Tuesday rode South on Arkansas highways 7, 16, 23 and 309 (up to Mt Magazine), then into Hot Springs for the night. Wednesday was home via the Mena to Talihina Skyline Drive, then to Robbers Cave and home. Great 4 days of riding, hiking, and eclipse watching. Total riding miles of about 1300.

Yeah, we're going to be heading to Arkansas in 2024 for the next one, maybe around the Hot Springs area.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Moto

« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2017, 11:18:43 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »
From a British Airways pilot.. ahem, fairly nice.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2017, 12:13:08 PM »
We drove down near Charleston, around Jamestown, SC.  It struck us how strange it was right as totality started, because we had never seen it get dark so quickly.  It was like someone turning down the dimmer on the dining room light, and well worth the effort to see.  Seven years to an even better one, with around four minutes of totality.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

kirby1923

« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »
We drove down near Charleston, around Jamestown, SC.  It struck us how strange it was right as totality started, because we had never seen it get dark so quickly.  It was like someone turning down the dimmer on the dining room light, and well worth the effort to see. Seven years to an even better one, with around four minutes of totality.

Might be a good one for a NAR, maybe in TX (please).

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here