Author Topic: Eclipse  (Read 21477 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Eclipse
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 03:27:58 PM »
Friend and I are riding down from BC to John Day, camping on a small farm just outside town.
Supposed to be fine weather for the event.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 04:18:50 PM »
  I live in Elwood, KS.  People around here seem to think it's going to be crazy.  There is a rumor that the Japanese are going to have an orgy in the parking lot of Mainerds.  I don't think I'm going anywhere.  I should be able to see it from my front yard.

krb

I really don't think it will be "crazy".   We didn't have any trouble getting a South Carolina motel room at a normal price last month right in the center of the totality path, and, as I look at the map, there are hundreds of thousands of square miles of empty space to stop in and hang out.

After 2:40 PM on Monday, when the eclipse is done, I plan on taking the state and local roads through SC, NC, and VA to home, and I don't expect to see any traffic.

It's always more fun to say "AAAAAAAAHHH!  IT'S GOING TO BE A NIGHTMARE, A DISTASTER, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIEEEEE !!! " than it is to realize how big this country is and what it would take to fill up that whole path with people in dark glasses.   Easier to get published that way, anyhow.

In any case, Monday evening we can debrief, right here!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »
Let the rest crash, staying home w/welding mask, might not be a #14 though. Close enough.

I've got one of those autoranging welder masks.  I'm going to mount the camera in it and maybe a 4x neutral density on top of that, depending on cloud cover.  Then I'll view it on the camera screen.

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »
 Think I'll watch it on the internet , , way too many people for me , kinda like Sturgis  :grin:

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »
We are in KC all weekend for a wedding so we are staying there yet Sunday night. Will head ENE Monday morning in the car with four year old grand daughter along for the experience. Just hope to be able to park on a rural road well away from any significant towns or cites. Forecast looks good.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »
Flying to Salt Lake City this Saturday to rent an American Guzzi  :wink: and do a loop of S. Idaho to watch it get dark and hunt for craft beers.  I may not be able to pass anything on this bike but I'll have a S.E. grin on my face.

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 05:39:07 PM »
I've got one of those autoranging welder masks.  I'm going to mount the camera in it and maybe a 4x neutral density on top of that, depending on cloud cover.  Then I'll view it on the camera screen.
    Take the mask outside and try it right now. I use that kind of mask every day with my welding, and it doesn't work with the sun. I have some 12 shade goggle plates that I am using when I go to Wyoming.
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 05:56:11 PM »
We are in KC all weekend for a wedding so we are staying there yet Sunday night. Will head ENE Monday morning in the car with four year old grand daughter along for the experience. Just hope to be able to park on a rural road well away from any significant towns or cites. Forecast looks good.
GliderJohn

why not go to Smithville lake?  I think parking and swimming is $5.  PM me and I'll give you my phone number and you can come by the trailer. 

That's where I am camping.  I am leaving tomorrow.   Heading to the  Arthur Bryants and the Jazz clubs Saturday.  Royals are in town too.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:43:49 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Moz

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2017, 06:19:39 PM »
Have fun guys and good luck with the weather..
'82 le mans iii
'08 cafe's bellagio
'20 V85TT

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2017, 06:38:44 PM »
Have fun guys and good luck with the weather..

Well, 14 hours riding and a hotel room is all we're investing.

If it's cloudy, we'll have had a nice picnic with a dark spot in the middle of the day!

Lannis

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2017, 06:41:06 PM »
    Take the mask outside and try it right now. I use that kind of mask every day with my welding, and it doesn't work with the sun. I have some 12 shade goggle plates that I am using when I go to Wyoming.
:1:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2017, 06:55:28 PM »
My 30th anniversary falls on the 21st.  It's an omen!   :wink:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »
My 30th anniversary falls on the 21st.  It's an omen!   :wink:

A daaark omen, is an eclipse.   Be careful ..... !

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2017, 07:08:55 PM »
We decided to go to mark Twain national forest in SE Missouri. Hoping we'll be off the beaten path enough and avoid the bigger crowds. Missouri net news says st joe mo is expection an extra 500,000 people in a town of 70,000. I'll pass on that thank you.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2017, 07:28:47 PM »
Still up in the air as to where in Missouri we will be.  Right now planning on riding up to Marshall.  That could change with traffic and cloud cover predictions.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »
Still up in the air as to where in Missouri we will be.  Right now planning on riding up to Marshall.  That could change with traffic and cloud cover predictions.

You're welcome to meet up with Tim and I  :cool:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2017, 07:40:41 PM »
We decided to go to mark Twain national forest in SE Missouri. Hoping we'll be off the beaten path enough and avoid the bigger crowds. Missouri net news says st joe mo is expection an extra 500,000 people in a town of 70,000. I'll pass on that thank you.

for $5 you should be able to park at the lake.  PM me, perhaps you can come over to my trailer?  I'd leave early though.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:42:27 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 07:46:26 PM »

My understanding is that is has to be a 12 to 14.
14 may be a bit too dark they say.

Me, I made a 'telescope' using a $1 reading glasses lens, and scrap cardboard.  :azn: Guzzi cheap.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:46:58 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 07:47:36 PM »

Cloudy here today.  After two full months of bliss, we had a week of bad haze, right up till the meteor shower.  Then the haze blew off (BC fires).  But it was blown off by rain clouds.  Been mostly that way ever since.  Except still no rain.

Mine goes to 13.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2017, 08:11:40 PM »
for $5 you should be able to park at the lake.  PM me, perhaps you can come over to my trailer?  I'd leave early though.

We'll be over by elephant rocks state park. Opposite side of the state.

Careful swimming in smithville lake. It's on the Canada goose migration route. They leave plenty of "fertilizer" all winter long, thousands and thousands of the big nasty honkin' critters everywhere. Great place to spot eagles too, I saw 23 in one day. Don't forget the town tavern in downtown smithville. Mellow place for a :boozing:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:17:33 PM by Guzzistajohn »

Offline Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2017, 10:13:53 PM »
Got the Norge almost packed up for the trip down to Robbinsville, NC.  A couple of us have a cabin rented there for the eclipse and a lot of good riding thereafter.  I have a welding goggle with #5, #10, and #7 lenses to mix and match.  Tomorrow I will test it against the sun.  The eclipse was just an excuse to get back on the bike for a long, multi-day ride and to see some friends down South.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2017, 10:38:24 PM »
I stopped in at the local welder's supply and said "I need  something for the eclipse" and they pulled out a big box... they are ready! I bought a 2x4" shade 12 plate for $1. I shall leave Datil late on Saturday and zip up to Wyoming on the Stelvio all Sunday (700 miles) to see the eclipse, Glendo Lake state park in Wyoming has a campground that is perfectly in the total path... but I can camp anywhere, if it is busy. Now, this is what motorcycles were made for!
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Moto

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2017, 10:51:05 PM »
I have a welding goggle with #5, #10, and #7 lenses to mix and match.  Tomorrow I will test it against the sun.

NASA recommends 12 or better: ``make sure you know the filter's shade number. If it's less than 12 (and it probably is), don't even think about using it to look at the Sun. Many people find the Sun too bright even in a Shade 12 filter, and some find the Sun too dim in a Shade 14 filter — but Shade 13 filters are uncommon and can be hard to find.'' https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

I'm driving my car and my son down to stay overnight at Cape Girardeau, hoping for the best. I saw an earlier total eclipse over a large body of water and kind of want a similar experience, this time along the bank of the Mississippi in a state park to the north. I think it is better to be some place where you can listen to the natural environment, for bird and bug activity changes.

Good luck to us all.

Moto

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2017, 05:51:21 AM »
Eclipse Day is my birthday, and I've been an amateur astronomer since a wee nerd. 

My oldest son is coming in from overseas and introducing us to his serious girlfriend.

We're all heading out to a health center that my organization runs in Robbinsville NC where we'll celebrate with the staff. 

Big day all round.

We're moving to western NYS later this year and the next total solar eclipse will be on my daughter's birthday in a few years, and our new hometown will be in the path of that total eclipse.  : )
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:52:05 AM by Nic in Western NC »
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline brownk

• Hatchling
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »
  No way we can fit 500,000 people in st. joe.  Oh by the way it's Trails West weekend too.

krb
1990 Cal 3
2007 Norge

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2017, 06:17:21 PM »
Hi, BrownK!  Nice to see you again!

I promise to stay away.   :laugh:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2017, 09:25:59 PM »
  No way we can fit 500,000 people in st. joe.  Oh by the way it's Trails West weekend too.

krb

the guy honchoing it in St Jo said maybe 100k on NPR today.   Many congregating at the airport.
John L 

Offline brownk

• Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2017, 11:43:26 PM »
  I saw 4 private jets come in yesterday.  I wasn't home tonight so I don't know how many today.  I may go eat breakfast at the airport in the morning and check it out.

krb
1990 Cal 3
2007 Norge

Offline dee g

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2017, 03:03:35 AM »
I'll be at work, watching on the monitors and waiting for all the local nut jobs to start calling 911.

hahahahaha

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2017, 01:39:32 PM »
We have a clear day here.  I tested the welding mask.  at 13 it reacts to the sun.   :thumb:

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here