Author Topic: Medicare, signed up today  (Read 2781 times)

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
Medicare, signed up today
« on: January 11, 2022, 01:22:24 PM »
Well, I did it. 

I signed up for Medicare as my wife and I get our coverage from her employer, local school board.  She retired 2 years ago.  I will be dropped from her coverage when I hit 65 in late March, so I thought I should get my ducks lined up for before that day.

I have also requested supplemental policies to see what is available to minimize my out of pocket costs.

From what I have seen, the HOA supplement for Medicare is better than my current employer coverage.  Wife's coverage was better than my employer's coverage, that's why we have been on her coverage since she started as a teacher.

I am not signing up for Social Security just yet.  I work from home, and I really like my work so as long as I can continue to work from home I will do that for awhile.  I work when I need to, and a lot of discretion when I work.  Since I am the only one in my small company who can do what I do, I have a certain amount of job security.

My full retirement age is 66 and 6 months.

Old Head

06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Online xackley

• Gosling
Re: Medicare, signed up today
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 01:35:18 PM »
I went with Advantage for $0 additional cost. I am healthy with a prescription for thyroid and metformin.
My only out of pocket is an annual $50 for CT scan, everything else has been covered for the last 5 years.
So far the doctor says I should die before the asbestos becomes a problem.

If I get sick, I will be looking for other options, but for now supplement  would not make sense.

Edit: I did go to my local Office on Aging to get advice when I was about to turn 65 to get info and advice. She was very helpful.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 01:38:19 PM by xackley »
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 02:41:10 PM »
Thank you both - I am supposed to have dealt with this by now, turning 66 in a couple of weeks, but have been avoiding it.

Still going to avoid it for a while longer, but I'll watch this thread to see what I can learn. I currently have good coverage for my wife and I through my employer, and will put off collecting social security as long as practical. Retirement is a never for me unless a windfall occurs.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 03:39:18 PM »
I just turned 68.. been on Medicare for 3 years with a no cost advantage plan. So far I'm surprised to be very pleased with everything to do with Medicare. For a government service they are good, knock on wood.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 03:39:18 PM »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 03:46:29 PM »

If I get sick, I will be looking for other options, but for now supplement  would not make sense.

We signed up for the F plan when we turned 65 because my wife has some expensive health issues and the same with myself. The advantage plans are OK, but if you want to change down the line to a better plan you are subjected to a health screening based on pre-existing conditions and of course age.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 05:01:26 PM »
jeeze im jealous! They need to drop the age of eligibility at least 10 years. The only thing keeping me from an early retirement is health care costs. I have a 'good job' with a 'multi-billion dollar' and 'multi-national' company and I work at a 'for profit' hospital (what an oxymoron). And I pay $360/month for my wife and I with a $10,000 deductible. Neither of us has any health problems, it's literally 'bankruptcy insurance'.  God forbid anything actually does happen, we will probably have to get divorced real quick so we only go 'half-bankrupt'.  Great system we have here  :boozing:
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 05:16:39 PM »
Well for me I only see medicare options A B G K L N

I signed up for A and B, as I am healthy and haven't had any sickness in years.  Don't smoke/drink/drugs.

I have to ask that question if you can change your options ea year or are you locked in once you start?
I need to ask the supplement carrier how they handle excess charges.  Costs being what they are, it probably prudent to have a plan for that also.

The wife has serious medical costs so her sign up will be much different than mine, but thats 3 years off.
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 05:24:42 PM »
I think I'm over insured with my original employer plan, Medicare, and then additional supplementals. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

bobrebos

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 05:26:02 PM »
I will be signing up in about six months.  Hope it’s not too confusing!!!

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 05:37:46 PM »

Signing up for A and B is fairly simple. You can do it online. Adding C and D is where it can get overwhelming with all the options. It comes down to your health status, how many doctors visits do you make every year and how many prescriptions you take. Healthy and drug free you can skip those options. If not it might be worth finding a consultant who can find you the best plans.

Pete

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 05:45:06 PM »
Congrats to you all for living long enough to be on Medicare.  I see it getting taken out of my paycheck every week and wonder if I will ever see a benefit from it. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 06:43:20 PM »
Well for me I only see medicare options A B G K L N

I signed up for A and B, as I am healthy and haven't had any sickness in years.  Don't smoke/drink/drugs.

I have to ask that question if you can change your options ea year or are you locked in once you start?
I need to ask the supplement carrier how they handle excess charges.  Costs being what they are, it probably prudent to have a plan for that also.

The wife has serious medical costs so her sign up will be much different than mine, but thats 3 years off.

They eliminated the F plan in 2020 but the G plan is almost as good.  And you can change those supplemental plans during the open enrollment periods.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 07:12:32 PM »
Retirement for me was predicated on becoming eligible for Medicare. Went with original Medicare and chose a retiree medical plan from my former employer offering a low deductible, low out of pocket annual limits,  no lifetime maximum, and no in- vs out- of network BS.
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 10:33:05 PM »
Congrats to you all for living long enough to be on Medicare.  I see it getting taken out of my paycheck every week and wonder if I will ever see a benefit from it.

really?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 10:44:01 PM »
Retirement for me was predicated on becoming eligible for Medicare. Went with original Medicare and chose a retiree medical plan from my former employer offering a low deductible, low out of pocket annual limits,  no lifetime maximum, and no in- vs out- of network BS.

Everyone I know that's contemplating "early" retirement has had that concern.  I've had a few tearful encounters with folks in the their late 50's and 60's about discussing associated health, family, financial and employment issues.   All of them were hardworking and had income and savings.

I was fortunate having my employer insurance at retirement with the same cost that I had working.  In fact, my costs went down when I was able to cover the wife and myself with a "+1 policy" and dropping the "family plan".

One caution when switching over.  Make sure that you get the billing straight with your health provider up front.  Know which insurance is primary.  I was getting bills for hundreds of dollars every month when I was previous paying $20 copays despite having additional insurance.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 10:47:57 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2022, 11:21:14 PM »
I'm so glad I don't have any of this to worry about in retirement. I feel for you guys. I retired at 57 and never gave health cover a second thought.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 11:29:38 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 02:03:54 AM »
Seems most here have their Medicare coverages covered. 

I'll throw some info in on when you should draw your SS benefits. I do basic pre-retirement benefit planning for Seniors when I have contact with them through my office.  Often when someone draws their benefit at 62, they limit what they can earn while working after age 62.

One of the criteria and basic input for when you should take your Social Security benefits would be to figure your longevity age.  If your parents passed add their ages together and divide by 2.  This will give you an age that could help you decide.  62, 66+ or 70. 

At age 70, you can work FT and receive 1/3 more of your benefit that you'd get at full retirement age 66+.  If defer till age 70, you can keep adding to increase your benefits .  The additional 3.5 year will increase your monthly amount and at age 70 which is the max amount that you can draw.

If you're confused......consi der this as a pay increase to your monthly income at age 70 if you're still working which will be 1/3 more than if you took it at age 66+.  Do you like your job or not?  Hopefully you have other income streams that you can draw on.  Pension, PT work, passive investment, 401K, IRA and/or retirement fund.

There is another variable that I'll bring up.  If you draw at age 62 and get a good paying job after that then you can pay back what you drew then wait to draw again at full retirement age at 66+ or the total max age of 70.  As stated earlier you'll be increasing you monthly when you withdraw again.

Hopefully you're eating better and taking care of yourself physically better than your parents thus improving your longevity age vs. your parents.

You have a limit that you can earn while working at 62 and drawing while working. 

From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2022, 05:58:56 AM »
We signed up for the F plan when we turned 65 because my wife has some expensive health issues and the same with myself. The advantage plans are OK, but if you want to change down the line to a better plan you are subjected to a health screening based on pre-existing conditions and of course age.
Same here. Wife had 3 surgeries, 5 weeks radiation, and all the other things that come along with that.
Easily ran into a few hundred thousand. Didn't get one bill. All taken care of by Medicare and supplement.
Got to see the charges with info sent by Medicare.
Note with supplement you'll need to get a prescription plan, known as part D.
Advantage plans usually include a drug plan.
Gotta study the drug plans to fit your meds.
Wife is on some pricey meds and her plan runs $20 or so a month. Total outlay last year for drugs was under a couple hundred bucks for her. I need nothing special so the plan I have is around $8/month. Usually no co-pay or at the most $5/script.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 06:02:18 AM by JoeB »
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2022, 06:24:41 AM »

Not confusing at all; you can do it online after signing up for a new social security account. You can apply just for Medicare Part A and B if you want to hold off applying for Social Security benefits at that time. Medicare may bill you for the first 3 months after you get notified of acceptance via regular mail, so, get ready to pay $510.30.
If you apply for Social Security benefits at the same time, the Medicare monthly premium ($170.10) will be deducted directly from your SS monthly benefit. Best way to pay and receive benefits is via direct deposit from your bank account; easy to do by filling a form and taking it to your bank.
It was a completely painless experience for me since I applied 2 years ago.
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2022, 06:37:51 AM »
In my case, as a retired military individual, in order to keep my Tricare for Life (TFL) medical benefit, I had to enroll in Medicare Parts A and B at 65. Medicare covers 80% of outpatient visits, tests, etc, while TFL usually covers the rest. Part A covers 100% of hospital stays.
As a veteran, I also have the VA medical care program, which covers service-connected illnesses, but charges copays for everything else.
I am sure several veteran/retired military members here are covered as I am.
Of course, if you are in general good health, the out of pocket costs are minimal, otherwise, there are copays and deductibles, just  as for the other insurance programs out there.
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2022, 06:46:32 AM »
really?

No one is promised tomorrow and the older you get the closer you are to your last breath. The actor Bob Saget just died at 65.  Steve McQueen died at 50. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2022, 06:53:41 AM »

I'll throw some info in on when you should draw your SS benefits. I do basic pre-retirement benefit planning for Seniors when I have contact with them through my office.  Often when someone draws their benefit at 62, they limit what they can earn while working after age 62.

One of the criteria and basic input for when you should take your Social Security benefits would be to figure your longevity age.  If your parents passed add their ages together and divide by 2.  This will give you an age that could help you decide.  62, 66+ or 70. 

At age 70, you can work FT and receive 1/3 more of your benefit that you'd get at full retirement age 66+.  If defer till age 70, you can keep adding to increase your benefits .  The additional 3.5 year will increase your monthly amount and at age 70 which is the max amount that you can draw.

If you're confused......consi der this as a pay increase to your monthly income at age 70 if you're still working which will be 1/3 more than if you took it at age 66+.  Do you like your job or not?  Hopefully you have other income streams that you can draw on.  Pension, PT work, passive investment, 401K, IRA and/or retirement fund.

There is another variable that I'll bring up.  If you draw at age 62 and get a good paying job after that then you can pay back what you drew then wait to draw again at full retirement age at 66+ or the total max age of 70.  As stated earlier you'll be increasing you monthly when you withdraw again.

Hopefully you're eating better and taking care of yourself physically better than your parents thus improving your longevity age vs. your parents.

You have a limit that you can earn while working at 62 and drawing while working.

Good info.  Don't forget about spousal benefits.   If you are the primary bread winner and  your spouse has more longevity than you, you might want to wait in order to maximize their income when you are gone.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2022, 07:26:47 AM »
Good info.  Don't forget about spousal benefits.   If you are the primary bread winner and  your spouse has more longevity than you, you might want to wait in order to maximize their income when you are gone.
I went out early at reduced benefit . Didn't apply or get spousal benefit until wife was full retirement age.
By her waiting she got half, but it's half of my full retirement benefit, not the reduced rate I get for going out early.
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2022, 08:51:41 AM »

You know.  I think Lucky Phil is on to something.   :wink:

I'm so glad I don't have any of this to worry about in retirement. I feel for you guys. I retired at 57 and never gave health cover a second thought.

Ciao
John L 

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2022, 08:58:22 AM »
just hoping my 401-k is fat enough by the time I'm 59.5 to carry me to full retirement age....  In that window, hopefully I can get on my wife's insurance from her workplace.

There are many reasons to marry a hot younger woman, this is one I didnt consider when I made the leap, but hoping it pays off dividends!

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2022, 09:04:36 AM »
We couldn't have been more pleased to get on Medicare and a supplement. I retired a bit before my 60th BD. Was able to stay on my group plan but had to pay full boat. For my wife and I that that was around $1,300 a month. So far all is good on Medicare and much, much cheaper.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2022, 09:07:37 AM »
jeeze im jealous! They need to drop the age of eligibility at least 10 years. The only thing keeping me from an early retirement is health care costs.

Then there is the ripple effect of older worker's staying in the work place solely for healthcare coverage.

Up until the early 2000's it was reasonably affordable to get descent health care coverage, especially in the self employment world and then it just skyrocketed.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2022, 09:51:52 AM »
just hoping my 401-k is fat enough by the time I'm 59.5 to carry me to full retirement age....  In that window, hopefully I can get on my wife's insurance from her workplace.

There are many reasons to marry a hot younger woman, this is one I didnt consider when I made the leap, but hoping it pays off dividends!

I’ve bought rental properties and maxxed out my 401K for years to pay for health insurance in pre-65 retirement.  On the scale of my expenses in that period it won’t be the greatest by any means, so there are plenty of reasons to save responsibly.

The flip side of an age difference in a married couple is that if you marry a younger spouse who is for years on your employers medical plan, you need to prepare to pay for their health insurance individually when you stop working and switch to Medicare.  I realized that after marrying a woman very slightly older than me, and she now kids me by saying I knew it all along and factored it into marrying her!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 09:53:11 AM by Tusayan »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2022, 10:10:34 AM »

The flip side of an age difference in a married couple is that if you marry a younger spouse who is for years on your employers medical plan, you need to prepare to pay for their health insurance individually when you stop working and switch to Medicare.  I realized that after marrying a woman very slightly older than me, and she now kids me by saying I knew it all along and factored it into marrying her!

Yep! I have been carrying her on my medical plan for a few years, and will continue as long as I'm working...  She has health insurance available thru her employer, but the only plans are super-gold Cadillac types and it just doesnt suit our usage.
Mine is cheaper by a mile, but much worse coverage.

She's going to be pleased as punch to get me out of working a 'real job'.  Luckily, I taught her how to save and a fair bit about financial planning (her family had no basis in this)...  So by the time she is about 60, she is going to retire with a boatload of money thanks to the contributions she is making now....   My current plan is keep maxing out my IRA and socking 20% of my income into 401-K...  (and getting our house paid off!).  As soon as I hit that goal, I will quit full time work and pick up a part-time gig at a bicycle shop or working one of my side gigs.

As long as I can float us until I get full SS benefits, she is going to be just fine after I'm gone.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2022, 11:15:22 AM »
I am 74 and have Medicare Advantage with a $16 a month extra to lower some co pays...2-1/2 years ago Mr Cancer came to visit..I had been living a healthy lifestyle so it was unexpected to say the least...In this time period the co pays have been about $15000. All of that was/is paid on time. My wife and I have reasonable blue collar retirement funds, a low key lifestyle so the co pays do not break the bank...Something to think about before buying another new truck .....
  And while many disapprove of the US healthcare system, the care I have received is world class and the docs and nurses are outstanding..

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here