Author Topic: The things you find..  (Read 17773 times)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: The things you find..
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2018, 04:10:39 PM »
Turned the shaft with my toy lathe, made a Delrin bushing for a light press in the footpeg pedestal and slip fit on the shaft. The bushing is brown in the picture.

Total time 43 minutes, material cost nuthin. (Guzzi content)
Works a treat..  :smiley: The only slop in the shifter now is the clevis and transmission arm. If it were mine, I'd fix that stuff. Nope.

:thumb:

There were only two bolts in the battery tray.  :rolleyes: "Them ain't important, Cletus.. the battery will hold it down.." Unfortunately, one of the bolts is broken off flush in the frame. Worked on it with some AeroKroil and a punch trying to back it out. No cigar. Can't get a drill, eze out, etc. in there without removing the harness. Nope. Beyond there lays madness.  :smiley:

:sad: Originally, the ground cable from the battery attached at one of those two M10 bolts. Black electrical tape wrapped harness... never a good sign. 
Charlie

Offline beardog

• Gosling
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2018, 04:23:33 PM »
He is undeniably a fantastic guy. :thumb:
ride whenever you can
2003 stone� 
2008 1200 sport
2012 Yamaha super tenere
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
2020 v85 tt
2005 Yamaha fjr
2017 Motus mst
2008 ktm super duke

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
:sad: Originally, the ground cable from the battery attached at one of those two M10 bolts. Black electrical tape wrapped harness... never a good sign.

I told the owner when I saw it that it needed a new harness, and Greg Bender makes them. I also mentioned that I don't want a job.  :smiley: Changing out the harness would be one. I'm pretty sure he and his sweetie could do it.  The idea is to get it running, and fix what *has* to be fixed. After fixing the brake light mess, all the electrics are working, (I think)  :grin: so the harness doesn't *have* to be changed out right now. So far, I don't have much time of actual work on it. I *do* have a fair amount of time involved in learning about loops, though. Those are non billable hours. :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2018, 04:52:11 PM »
Where's a guy to stop, when its not your own. All you can do is advise and suggest that its not airworthy. Some understand, some act like they don't.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2018, 04:52:11 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2018, 05:50:22 PM »
Where's a guy to stop, when its not your own. All you can do is advise and suggest that its not airworthy. Some understand, some act like they don't.

I totally understand the "where do you stop" thing, John.  :smiley: Airworthy? Not this one. The worst that happens is you coast to the side of the road.  :smiley: I will try to make this one as reliable as I can without spending the Big Bux..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2018, 02:26:23 PM »
No wonder the DPO didn't put the screws in the battery plate.. they wouldn't go in. A tap drill, tap, and wrench fixes that in a heartbeat.
2018-11-17_03-17-53 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Woke up last night with an inspiration.  :smiley: I could make a tractor  (Guzzi content) type battery hold down with some Canvas bakelite that I have laying around. That ought to be steam punk enough for an Eldorado..
2018-11-17_03-16-35 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Ran to the hardware store and bought $2.49 worth of steel, chucked it up in the lathe, and ran a thread on each end.
2018-11-17_03-00-30 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Quick and dirty.. I'll finish it up Monday.. but that battery won't be shorting out on something.  :grin:
2018-11-17_03-00-06 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

pete roper

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2018, 03:34:40 PM »
But now you don't have anywhere to carry your cheese! :evil:

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2018, 04:12:58 PM »
Ran to the hardware store and bought $2.49 worth of steel, chucked it up in the lathe, and ran a thread on each end.
2018-11-17_03-00-30 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Quick and dirty.. I'll finish it up Monday.. but that battery won't be shorting out on something.  :grin:
2018-11-17_03-00-06 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

:thumb:

I sometimes do the same sort of thing, except I buy battery holddown "J" bolts at Autozone for around the same $$ and use a piece of 1" wide steel flat stock.
Charlie

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2018, 05:22:20 PM »
Oh Oh  , greasy stuff on the table saw. That's a wood workers no no.  :grin: 

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2018, 07:08:17 AM »
Oh Oh  , greasy stuff on the table saw. That's a wood workers no no.  :grin:

There's nothing greasy on the table saw.  Remember, those air cleaners have been on fire. There is a little "ash" on them.   :evil: :grin:  I cut plastic and aluminum on the table saw. Mostly it makes a fine workbench, though..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2018, 07:45:17 AM »
Just bustin your chops Chuck, I know you know better. I once ran a 50 dollar plank of white ash through my table saw for a customers furniture project. I had forgotten that I had used its flat cast iron surface as a platen to surface a rusty cylinder head off a two stroke engine. Needless to say I had to fork out another 50 bucks to replace the badly stained ash. Never again will I allow metal working stuff into my wood shop. The two just don't mix well. :grin:

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2018, 09:04:23 AM »
I sometimes do the same sort of thing, except I buy battery holddown "J" bolts at Autozone for around the same $$ and use a piece of 1" wide steel flat stock.

But but.. canvas bakelite is an electrical insulator. Besides, I have a lot of it..  :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2018, 09:21:15 AM »
 This is the connecting rod bearings from my 79 Triumph 750 that was ridden for about 10 minutes with  no oil pressure...The other rod set looks the same. I confirmed that the engine had no oil pressure  with a known accurate gauge...checked a few things and then the pressure was ok just like magic . Rode it a few hundred more miles before just recently disassembling the engine to clean the crank sludge trap..Guys said the bearings and crank would be wiped out....The old turd survived somehow...

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2018, 02:26:01 PM »
Getting fairly close to finishing up.. but.. the new air cleaners interfere with each other. Yeah, I could cave man them on there, but they'd be bent up, etc. Is there any reason I shouldn't chuck these things up and turn that flange off of them? If I did, I could get at least 3/8" more clearance on each side.
2018-11-20_03-08-29 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Oh, reading on this old tractor, it says to initially set the carb slides with 10mm from the body to the cutaway. That seems like a lot.. I'm measuring .210" after reassembly. <scratching head>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2018, 03:31:25 PM »
Not sure what the flange's function is originally....could be a shame to mod a rare original part.The later velocity stack for the T series should work well and hasn't got a flange ; might even work better due tot  the internal necking.http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3201. only problem is having to pen the wallet !

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »
Not sure what the flange's function is originally....could be a shame to mod a rare original part.The later velocity stack for the T series should work well and hasn't got a flange ; might even work better due tot  the internal necking.http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3201. only problem is having to pen the wallet !

Good point.. Thanks. Unfortunately, they call for a different set of air filters for the velocity stack, and I (he) already has the filters for the flange.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2018, 04:24:58 PM »
Getting fairly close to finishing up.. but.. the new air cleaners interfere with each other. Yeah, I could cave man them on there, but they'd be bent up, etc. Is there any reason I shouldn't chuck these things up and turn that flange off of them? If I did, I could get at least 3/8" more clearance on each side.

Oh, reading on this old tractor, it says to initially set the carb slides with 10mm from the body to the cutaway. That seems like a lot.. I'm measuring .210" after reassembly. <scratching head>

Since someone has already machined the rings down on them, you may as well finish the job and alter them however you see fit.

I think you misunderstood my "basic setup" procedure - set the carb slides so that the opening is 10 mm wide on the engine (tall) side of the slide. I just do that by eye, though you can measure and compare to get them about the same for start-up. Of course, you'll need to twiddle things for proper running from the "basic setup".

Charlie

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2018, 05:25:21 PM »
Since someone has already machined the rings down on them, you may as well finish the job and alter them however you see fit.

I think you misunderstood my "basic setup" procedure - set the carb slides so that the opening is 10 mm wide on the engine (tall) side of the slide. I just do that by eye, though you can measure and compare to get them about the same for start-up. Of course, you'll need to twiddle things for proper running from the "basic setup".

I thought they must have been modified already. I couldn't imagine a production part with a razor edge.
Oh. 10mm "wide"  :grin: Got it. Thanks, Charlie..  :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2018, 10:46:23 PM »
If your trying to ft the K&N filters like the ones you pictured at the start, they are not fitted right IMHO. When fitted the closed end will press against each other, as in rotate them 180 deg. When new, not hard to fit. When old and hard, a pain.

I ended up going with a Uni filter. Fits much better.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2018, 07:29:21 AM »
How tight should the generator belt be? This one is pretty tight (maybe a half inch at the middle) and that can't be a good thing. I read in this old tractor about making a brace to beef up the generator mount, but that is beyond the scope of what I'm doing here. Making a shim for the pulley would just take a few minutes.
I could easily spend a hundred hours on this old girl..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2018, 08:13:18 AM »
How tight should the generator belt be? This one is pretty tight (maybe a half inch at the middle) and that can't be a good thing. I read in this old tractor about making a brace to beef up the generator mount, but that is beyond the scope of what I'm doing here. Making a shim for the pulley would just take a few minutes.
I could easily spend a hundred hours on this old girl..

Loose is better than tight. Sounds like a thin shim might be necessary.

If there's any clearance between the generator and the "saddle" of the engine case at the locating pin, you might want to make a shim for there also.
Charlie

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2018, 08:26:24 AM »
Thanks again, Charlie..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2018, 10:41:45 AM »
<sigh> I thought I was about to finish up. I assumed the petcocks were leaking, and that was the reason for the "not for fuel" line and lawnmower fuel shutoffs. While I was ordering, I ordered new petcocks, and a fuel cap gasket to replace the one that is MIA. Just brought the tank in to install the new stuff, and I see this..  :rolleyes:
2018-11-21_11-27-38 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Hopefully, this mess is from before the DPO put the tank liner in it, and it's not leaking. If it is..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2018, 10:49:20 AM »
By the looks of it, it is time for another tank or major reconstructive surgery, just went through that myself. Good luck!  DonG

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2018, 11:18:37 AM »
Chuck,
On my Eldo I machined the flanges off the "velocity stacks" then pushed the K&Ns on (same model as what's in the first picture you posted). Then rotated them around so they are lined up back-to-back, center line of the motor. Makes for a tidy, compact package. I bought an "insulated lunch bag" well padded, zipper closure, for my tool kit. It slips perfectly into the space between the battery & the K&Ns.  The little tool box on my Police model Eldo now contains the fuse box.
Re older, hardened K&Ns .....work 'em over w/a heat gun or old hair dryer until quite warm to the touch, rubber will soften dramatically. A quick shot of silicone spray & they'll slip on slicker-n-eel snot.
Ron
NOTE: "borrowing" wife's hair dryer NOT recommended
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2018, 11:33:34 AM »
By the looks of it, it is time for another tank or major reconstructive surgery, just went through that myself. Good luck!  DonG

I don't have any choice at this time but to put the new petcocks and cap gasket on, put fuel in it and watch it closely to see if it's leaking. If it is, it's beyond what I'm willing to take on.  :sad:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »
If the generator belt is too tight, it'll eventually strip the block where it bolts up or down.  That becomes another problem.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2018, 12:15:17 PM »
Chuck,

One more thing on the filters. If you bought these: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_166&products_id=1901 then you remove the velocity stacks and they clamp directly to the carb.

For the gen belt. The pulley on the engine is a split pulley. There should be shims between the halves and any spare shims should be under the 3 bolts that hold the pulley on. Add or remove shims between the pulley halves to get the right tension.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »
To answer all the above on the gen pulley, I made a shim to loosen up the belt.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2018, 05:34:15 PM »
One more thing on the filters. If you bought these: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_166&products_id=1901 then you remove the velocity stacks and they clamp directly to the carb.

If you use the Tonti style "velocity stacks" or machine the rings off of the original Loop ones, those K&Ns will slip on fine. I would never run them without some sort of stack - incoming air would have to flow over a rather abrupt step and that can have a detrimental effect on performance.
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here