Author Topic: New AFT Flatrack rules, slowin' down the Indians  (Read 1831 times)

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
Re: New AFT Flatrack rules, slowin' down the Indians
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 10:30:09 AM »
I seem to remember when Indian first came out with the race only FT750 that there was a three year limit on race only bikes... The fact that Harley can't find even a podium may have something to do with it! How many decades did the race only XR750 rule,except when Honda kicked their ass,then they changed the rules and Honda took its trophies and went home...
big Jim Walker bikes:'08 Norge,02'DR650,'84LeMans III,,'78 honda cb750k,'78 BMW R100S,'77 Ducati 860GT ES,'77honda XR75, '76 GUZZI convert,'75 850T cafe[project],'75 RD350 yamaha,'74 NORTON commando,'72 750 Norton flattrack replica,'72 250 Rickman-Montesa,'72 XL250 Honda Mosport[first bike

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
I seem to remember when Indian first came out with the race only FT750 that there was a three year limit on race only bikes... The fact that Harley can't find even a podium may have something to do with it! How many decades did the race only XR750 rule,except when Honda kicked their ass,then they changed the rules and Honda took its trophies and went home...

I'm all for evening the playing field. Having the main @ the mile with all Indians was kind of a bummer. Shoot, I'd even like to see a harley win now and then  :thumb:

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 10:49:21 AM »
 Nothing new , the XR750 was forced to run an intake restriction a few years back to help the production based twins , and before that *twingling* of the XR was outlawed . Curious to know how much input Werner had on this , but the rules change will probably help the Howerton/Smith team . Several Yamaha powered bikes are also being fielded by good teams . Still , even restricted I'm guessing the FTR will be a potent package .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 10:49:21 AM »

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 12:31:37 PM »
It’ll be cool to see some yammerhammers in the running :thumb:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 10:46:35 AM »
wow.  900cc for production based bikes?  I'll have to check if Colvin is serious about the Dorsoduro.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 10:55:32 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 11:09:32 AM »
Hopefully those Duc's can get in the running too.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 11:48:41 AM »
The Indy 500 used to have race/stockblock rules in the pre IRL days. In '94 Ilmor, Mercedes and Penske built an engine to "stock block" rules. That took care of that.

I understand the desire to make the competition closer. I also have to wonder what may happen if Indian continues to dominate-run with one spark plug disconnected?

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »
This is all a rehash of 10-15 years ago,Suzuki 1000cc legal against XR750,120 plus hp,they had to detune the stock motor and still couldn't get it to hook up...Werner knows the shape and height of the torque curve that you can put through the approved tires,it's ALWAYS the tires!!!
big Jim Walker bikes:'08 Norge,02'DR650,'84LeMans III,,'78 honda cb750k,'78 BMW R100S,'77 Ducati 860GT ES,'77honda XR75, '76 GUZZI convert,'75 850T cafe[project],'75 RD350 yamaha,'74 NORTON commando,'72 750 Norton flattrack replica,'72 250 Rickman-Montesa,'72 XL250 Honda Mosport[first bike

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 02:17:13 PM »
The Indy 500 used to have race/stockblock rules in the pre IRL days. In '94 Ilmor, Mercedes and Penske built an engine to "stock block" rules. That took care of that.

I understand the desire to make the competition closer. I also have to wonder what may happen if Indian continues to dominate-run with one spark plug disconnected?

I talked to the Covlin's today.  They have no deal to run an Aprilia but it was discussed with the company when they picked up the Moto Guzzi franchise with Don.  Eric said that they're trying to NASCAR-ize Flat Track by keeping it too equal and taking too much control from the race teams.  He took particular disagreement with mandating pump gas rather than allowing teams to run their own fuel. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »
I talked to the Covlin's today.  They have no deal to run an Aprilia but it was discussed with the company when they picked up the Moto Guzzi franchise with Don.  Eric said that they're trying to NASCAR-ize Flat Track by keeping it too equal and taking too much control from the race teams.  He took particular disagreement with mandating pump gas rather than allowing teams to run their own fuel.

Too many rules always makes racing more expensive ...Trying to use restrictions on engine power makes racing more expensive.

Online Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 11:33:53 PM »
Reducing air intake on sports car racing in the 80s created a big push in friction reduction to get the power back, which made a big difference to everybody else.

But doubt that's going to happen in flat track.

Offline 73eldorado

• Theres a fine line between tough and stupid
  • Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 12:03:01 AM »
If HD winning in a USA series it does not take to long to change the rules.  IMHO
1973 Eldorado
1981 Lemans
2006 Hayabusa
1978 Suzuki GS 1000
1997 Honda XR400

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 12:23:37 AM »
Shades of NHRA weight handicapping MoPars years ago and na$car outlawing the hemis.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 03:05:01 PM »
 If you can't beat them on the track, beat them by making exclusionary rules.  Harley did this for many years back in the 50s
 with the 750cc flathead, 500cc overhead rules.  In the late 60s this was changed to 750 all and Harleys rule of the flat track ended.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here