Author Topic: Southwest USA motorcycle vacation - looking for suggestions  (Read 3058 times)

elvisboy77

Southwest USA motorcycle vacation - looking for suggestions
« on: November 19, 2018, 06:22:46 AM »
I am thinking of doing a week or so long vacation in the Southwest US next year, maybe fall??  Want to ride with my daughter, who also rides.  Looking for suggestions for rentals, best time of year, and routes.  Would like to see the Grand Canyon, southern Utah stuff, etc.

Phoeniz AZ looks like a good starting point, anyone know of good bike rentals there?

Thanks for any advice!

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
Re: Southwest USA motorcycle vacation - looking for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 06:31:39 AM »
If you travel there in the summer you will encounter very dense crowds of tourists/campers in the major national parks, such as Zion, Arches, and Bryce. Things calm down a bit in late September/early October. We spent 10 days in the four corners area this year during early October; weather wasn't too bad, but you can encounter snow then at high altitudes.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Lcarlson

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 07:10:19 AM »
Southwestern Utah is spectacular and has the parks BB mentioned and more, including the fabulous Utah route 12 through the the Grand Staircase Escalante National monument. Rent in Las Vegas is easiest.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:47:36 AM by Lcarlson »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 07:18:16 AM »
Southwestern Utah is spectacular and has the parks you mention and more, including the fabulous Utah route 12 through the the Grand Staircase Escalante National monument. Rent in Las Vegas is easiest.

What Larry says. I've been everywhere, man.. wrote a song about it.. that part of Utah is not to be missed.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 07:18:16 AM »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 08:05:23 AM »
Oh, yea.  Rt. 12 all the way to Capital Reef.  fantastic.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 08:10:24 AM »
Tough call, but that may be the most beautiful road in the US. <shrug>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 08:30:54 AM »
Tough call, but that may be the most beautiful road in the US. <shrug>

No argument here.

With a week to explore let me suggest getting a map of the SW US.

Find Prescott, AZ and draw a horizontal line from California to I-25
Find Kingman, AZ and draw a vertical north south line from I-70 south to the line you just drew.
Use I-70 as your east west line across the top and I-25 as your north-south line on the east.
That box will encompass many of the most scenic areas of the Southwest.
Others can fill in the details.
Some other high points for me is US64 east of Taos, US550 from Durango to Ouray, CO., Old US66 from Kingman to Williams, AZ, mostly for the history.
Monument Valley, Mesa Verde..........

Pete

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:37:53 PM by PeteS »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 08:31:14 AM »
Chaco Canyon, NM is the most quiet, serene place I've ever been. The historical significance surrounding this place is incredible. Mesa Verde is a must see also IMHO
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 08:33:17 AM »
* Spring and Fall are the BEST seasons, by far in Arizona.  Summer is BRUTAL in the "Valley of the Sun" - not recommended :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

* Flying into and out of Phoenix is not an issue.  There are several EAGLE RIDER locations to rent motorcycles.

* If you DO come in the summer, you want to head north, to the high country in Utah / Colorado / New Mexico.  Zion / Capital Reef / Bryce Canyon in Utah all worth seeing.  The Grand Canyon is a "Tourist Zoo" during summertime. 

* Monument Valley /  Painted Desert / Petrified Forest / Meteor Crater also worth seeing. :thumb:

* Just my two cents... :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »
* Spring and Fall are the BEST seasons, by far in Arizona.  Summer is BRUTAL in the "Valley of the Sun" - not recommended :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

* Flying into and out of Phoenix is not an issue.  There are several EAGLE RIDER locations to rent motorcycles.

* If you DO come in the summer, you want to head north, to the high country in Utah / Colorado / New Mexico.  Zion / Capital Reef / Bryce Canyon in Utah all worth seeing.  The Grand Canyon is a "Tourist Zoo" during summertime. 

* Monument Valley /  Painted Desert / Petrified Forest / Meteor Crater also worth seeing. :thumb:

* Just my two cents... :cool:

^^^ and consider visiting the Grand Canyon's north rim instead.  It will have fewer people and breathtaking scenery.
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 09:32:17 AM »
You want to skip Colorado? 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 12:25:20 PM »
On our most recent trip to the four corners area we avoided the major tourist traps and visited some less popular spots, including petrified forest/painted desert, moki dugway, goosenecks state park, natural bridges national monument, goblin valley state park, and Colorado national monument. We had planned to camp at the north end of lake Powell, but when we got there we found that part of the lake to be completely dried up and the campgrounds had been bulldozed. We took wonderful hikes at most places; goblin valley was our favorite; hiked through a slot canyon there.

The best MC roads in the area IMO: Utah 12/24/95, and 128 near Moab; 550, 141, 149 in SW Colorado. All are among the BEST motorcycle roads in the country.

Keep us informed,

Jon

Route 128 south of Moab.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:36:35 PM by blackbuell »
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 12:46:17 PM »
goblin valley was our favorite.
:thumb: +1

I suggest visit later in the afternoon, when the shadows are forming.  Midday is the wrong time.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:48:03 PM by Kiwi Dave »

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »
Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a poor man's Grand canyon without crowds.

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 03:22:10 PM »

...and exceptionally beautiful as well, with a very nice steep road you can ride all the way down to the river...great stop for a picnic on the ride.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 05:58:01 PM »

not me. 

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline SeanF

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 06:17:27 PM »
You could easily spend a week in any of the four corners states, riding scenic roads and doing touristy things along the way.

Arizona - Arrive & rent in Phoenix, from there, do a clockwise loop through Sedona (have coffee with JJ), Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chelly*, Petrified Forest, back to Phx via 2-lane roads through National Forest. (*Canyon de Chelly (say "canyon de shay") is in the middle of the Navajo Reservation, which is quite vast and mostly flat, but the canyon itself is a very special place, and IMO well worth the trip. There is one foot trail to the bottom from the rim for which a guide is not required. Local indigenous folks still grow crops and herd livestock in the canyon bottom.)

Utah - Arrive & rent in Las Vegas, slab it to southern Utah. Pick up Highway 9 to Zion National Park, pick up 89 northbound to Highway 14 and  148 for Cedar Breaks, then 143 toward Panguitch, then on to 89 again & onto 12 to Bryce Canyon and environs.  Slab back to Vegas.

Colorado - Fly into any city that rents bikes and point your front wheel toward the mountains. Like an optimistic motorcycle ad on Craigslist, "too much to list!"

New Mexico - Arrive & rent in Albuquerque. A nice clockwise loop(-ish) is Cuba, Los Alamos, Chama, Tres Piedras, Taos, Santa Fe.  It may lack the big name tourist spots but, they don't call it The Land of Enchantment for nothing.

I haven't spent much time in California so I'll leave that to others.

But for the Four Corners states, those are some suggestions. As already stated, fall really is the best time to visit, so Mid-September through say late April. Summer temperatures at Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce are brutal, as are the tourist crowds. They also clog up the beautiful roads, campgrounds and hotels.

By and large, looking at a map, the green National Forest areas will be scenic and have wonderful 2-lane paved highways. I know this falls into the category of "easier said than done", but try not to rush through to see everything in the shortest amount of time. Many places reveal their beauty in their own time.

Good luck, ride safe, post pics! :thumb:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 07:22:49 PM »
Many places reveal their beauty in their own time.

*Very* good point, Sean..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

elvisboy77

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 05:48:55 AM »
Thanks so much to everyone who replied!  I think I need to take a month or two off to do it right.

I will go over these suggestions this weekend with my Meredith and let you know what we decide.  Sounds like it would be hard to go wrong with any of these.

It is so exciting to plan a trip like this.  I went through this area in 1986 on an XC trip on my V65SP.  Been too long!

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 06:17:59 AM »
Most everyone has mentioned the natural sights to see. In addition there are many manmade creations worth a visit including the two steam railroads operating through some spectacular country. The Durango and Silverton out of Durango, CO and Cumbres and Toltec out of Chama, NM. Google the names to get an idea of the their trains and scenery they travel through. Have lunch or stay over night in the St James Hotel in Cimarron, NM. Goes back over 150 years and many famous people stayed and fought there.
Los Alamos, Santa Fe and Taos, NM all worth a stop.
Get a copy of "Roadfood" by the Stearns. Lots of little places to eat that only the locals know about and off the beaten path. Two we found in the book are Durango Cafe in Durango, CO and Capitol Reef Inn and Cafe in Torrey, Ut.
Places we never would have thought of on our own.

Pete
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:19:04 AM by PeteS »

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 10:52:57 AM »
"almost heaven, West Virginia Colorado" fixed it!

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 03:14:54 PM »
Most everyone has mentioned the natural sights to see. In addition there are many manmade creations worth a visit including the two steam railroads operating through some spectacular country. The Durango and Silverton out of Durango, CO and Cumbres and Toltec out of Chama, NM. Google the names to get an idea of the their trains and scenery they travel through. Have lunch or stay over night in the St James Hotel in Cimarron, NM. Goes back over 150 years and many famous people stayed and fought there.
Los Alamos, Santa Fe and Taos, NM all worth a stop.
Get a copy of "Roadfood" by the Stearns. Lots of little places to eat that only the locals know about and off the beaten path. Two we found in the book are Durango Cafe in Durango, CO and Capitol Reef Inn and Cafe in Torrey, Ut.
Places we never would have thought of on our own.

Pete

I'm with Pete.   :boozing:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 03:26:24 PM »
Thanks so much to everyone who replied!  I think I need to take a month or two off to do it right.

It's really big country out there.  It's easy to plan "too much, too far".

If you're flying into Phoenix, doing Sedona, the Grand Canyon, and then taking the curvy way back through eastern AZ will eat up your trip without allowing you enough time in Utah.

Many of the Harley-Davidson rental peeps I've met on the road in Utah flew into Las Vegas Nevada to tour Southern Utah / Northern Arizona in a big oblong loop either side of the AZ/UT border.  That would mean doing the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, to keep the loop manageable.

Something like this:  https://goo.gl/maps/n8tXGuJ71US2

There are many ways to skin a cat.  Just don't plan too much for one trip.  It will still be there for your next one.

Mid- to Late-September is good. Moderate temperatures and most of the tourists are done after Labor Day Weekend.  If you get too far into October the temps will be cool at elevation, with snow likely. The good thing about the last week of September to the first week of October is the Aspen trees will be yellow.  When you're at elevation, the fall colors can be spectacular.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:45:28 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

elvisboy77

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »
It's really big country out there.  It's easy to plan "too much, too far".

If you're flying into Phoenix, doing Sedona, the Grand Canyon, and then taking the curvy way back through eastern AZ will eat up your trip without allowing you enough time in Utah.

Many of the Harley-Davidson rental peeps I've met on the road in Utah flew into Las Vegas Nevada to tour Southern Utah / Northern Arizona in a big oblong loop either side of the AZ/UT border.  That would mean doing the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, to keep the loop manageable.

Something like this:  https://goo.gl/maps/n8tXGuJ71US2

There are many ways to skin a cat.  Just don't plan too much for one trip.  It will still be there for your next one.

Mid- to Late-September is good. Moderate temperatures and most of the tourists are done after Labor Day Weekend.  If you get too far into October the temps will be cool at elevation, with snow likely. The good thing about the last week of September to the first week of October is the Aspen trees will be yellow.  When you're at elevation, the fall colors can be spectacular.

Thanks!  Yes, I will reserve the mindless wandering for about 3 years from now, when I retire!  Meantime this sounds like FUN!

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 09:09:46 AM »
I hope to retire out that way 2-3 years also.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

elvisboy77

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 09:45:22 AM »

I'm not counting the hours yet, but I will be 62 in just 938 days.....

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 04:30:12 PM »
Here are some of my UT photos to tempt you further.

symbol for lead nitrate

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2018, 08:09:35 AM »

We moved from north Scottsdale to the VOC, (Village of Oak Creek, outside of Sedona), in 2016.  I retired in Aug. 2018 (@ age 64).  No regrets whatsoever!   

From northern AZ, if you draw a wagon wheel on a map, there are unlimited areas to ride to and explore within 5-6 hours!! :thumb: :cool: :smiley:  ...and best of all, 300 days of sunshine per year and very "temperate" weather. :wink: 

However, you must really like all outdoors activities, local wildlife, and nature's scenic beauty. It is definitely NOT a place for for people who like all the amenities and "action" of a big city (IMHO) :wink:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 08:10:07 AM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 08:50:25 AM »
That fastest color yellow Centauro sure looks good with those rocks in the background.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »
That fastest color yellow Centauro sure looks good with those rocks in the background.

Thanks Joilet Jim! :wink:  A few more photos for you! :cool: :thumb:

<br

My poor Centauro GT...now 20 years old...with 13K miles on the clock.  I worry about it, and have installed every known upgrade available to make it more reliable...and hope it will continue to.  All I can do is to RIDE IT and maintain it.  It is a BLAST to ride, and the most fun of the 5 Guzzi's I have ever owned. :smiley:

God willing, it will be at the Cottonwood N.A.R, The New Mexico State Rally in Datil, and SOCAL Lake Henshaw N.A.R. again in 2019! :wink:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:13:04 AM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here