Author Topic: 1400 Differences  (Read 3849 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
1400 Differences
« on: November 21, 2018, 12:25:54 AM »
Does someone have a simple spreadsheet they put together listing the basic differences between the Audace, California Tour, Eldorado & MGX!

I think they all have the same engine but I don't know if they have identical controls

Do they all have ride by wire,
Traction control?
Cruise control?

I think I prefer pegs over floorboards.

I never really thought a 1400 was on the radar so I never bothered following them but now I find myself booked in for a demo ride so I had better get up to speed.

Thanks
Roy

17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
Re: 1400 Differences
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 04:19:13 AM »
Hey Roy

I believe yes...….. Oh and let me know how it goes.    :thumb:

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 06:34:46 AM »
with the mgx-21, they are basically the same bike with small differences model to model such as the pegs vs. floorboards mentioned earlier. 
Blue Guzz

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 07:15:47 AM »
Here's something I put together for a buddy who was asking the same questions.  He bought an Audace.

Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 07:15:47 AM »

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 07:46:13 AM »
The big diff between the MGX, Cali and Eldo is tire sizes.
I think I bould prefer the pegs but the boards and better location than HD/Indian.
 :gotpics:
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 09:51:39 AM »
Here's something I put together for a buddy who was asking the same questions.  He bought an Audace.

Thanks Luap, just what I was looking for :thumb:
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 10:05:35 AM »
One difference is definitely the seats, I love the solo seat on the Eldorado and presently trying to secure one for my 1400 Tourer.

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 10:15:33 AM »
One difference is definitely the seats, I love the solo seat on the Eldorado and presently trying to secure one for my 1400 Tourer.

Another difference are the bars.  I believe each 1400 variant has a different handlebar (exception may be the Touring and the Eldorado - might be the same).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 04:17:13 PM by mjptexas »
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 11:51:45 AM »
Are they all 4 Valve per cylinder with roller tappets, are there any issues there?

Thanks for the info so far.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 01:01:18 PM »
Yep, 4-valve per cylinder with roller tappets.

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 11:07:28 AM »
Why is the Audace so much lighter then the others?
Jerry
Florida

Moto

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 11:30:21 AM »
The first models had a cruise control that lacked incremental speed adjustments once it was set. The new ones let you bump the speed up or down in small steps, i understand.

Moto

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 11:30:54 AM »
Why is the Audace so much lighter then the others?

Part of the answer is that the Audace probably isn't as much lighter as we have been led to believe.

There are discrepancies in the spec sheets depending on where you look for some of the models.

For instance one link on the US website suggests the Eldo is 763# wet and ready to ride, but another (presumably for an English language EU website or distribution because most of the data is in metric and the naming convention of the PDF suggests it) lists it as 314 kg (692# wet but WITHOUT fuel).

Fuel on the Cali is 5.4 gal right? at ~6.4#/gal = 34# more weight.

That's the same EU type of spec sheet that lists the Audace as 299 kg (659# wet but without fuel).

So perhaps actual wet weight is actually less on the Eldo and more on the Audace

Eldo - 726# (less than listed on the US site in standard units)
Audace - 693# (more than most have assumed or perhaps was previously listed on the US site).

But that certainly closes the gap significantly and then differences in floorboards vs pegs, wheels/tire sizes, seats, fenders, etc. can make up the much smaller and believable 33# difference.

At least that's my SWAG!

Supporting links:

Eldo on US site
http://www.motoguzzi.com/us_EN/moto/cruiser/Eldorado/Eldorado/

Eldo specs, US style on US site
http://www.motoguzzi.com/mediaObject/motoguzzi-sites/US/tech-data/2018/ELDORADO-MG-data-sheet-USA/original/ELDORADO-MG-data-sheet-USA.pdf

Eldo specs, EU style on US site:
http://www.motoguzzi.com/motoguzzi/US/en/moto/cruiser/Eldorado/Eldorado/technicalAttachment/EN-Eldorado.pdf

Audace on US site:
http://www.motoguzzi.com/us_EN/moto/cruiser/Audace/Audace/

Audace specs, EU style on US site:
http://www.motoguzzi.com/motoguzzi/US/en/moto/cruiser/Audace/Audace/technicalAttachment/EN-audace.pdf

Note: There could be an actual difference in the wet weights of EU and US models because of TINY changes in components (like inclusion of an EVAP system, but that would likely be the same across models so comparative weight differences would be the same anyway).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:35:47 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 12:20:49 PM »
I arrived at the dealership, it was raining fairly steady. They gave me a California Touring to ride, a bit intimidating at first but I asked for it to be put in Rain mode, I came away impressed by the traction control and ABS

The Audace does feel quite a bit lighter at least just sitting on it and standing it up, I think it would be my choice of the 1400s with pegs instead of floor-boards.

17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 12:35:27 PM »
I arrived at the dealership, it was raining fairly steady. They gave me a California Touring to ride, a bit intimidating at first but I asked for it to be put in Rain mode, I came away impressed by the traction control and ABS

The Audace does feel quite a bit lighter at least just sitting on it and standing it up, I think it would be my choice of the 1400s with pegs instead of floor-boards.

Rain mode cuts power by a ton and softens the throttle response so the bike feels like a scooter. 

I leave the bike in Tourismo all the time.  You get full power but a slightly softer response than Veloce from the throttle.  I leave traction control on 1.  If it's pouring I leave it in Tourismo but bump the traction control up to 2 or even 3 if it's under 50 degrees and raining.

With the exception of it going insanely lean at about 2700rpm on decel, the bike has very, very good fuel injection.  That being said I'm looking forward to trying a Beetle map in the Spring.  I agree that the ABS is great.  The bike stops quicker than a Diavel from 60.     

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 12:49:29 PM »
At my demo ride on the Audace the pegs we scraping on almost every turn, and out pace was moderate at best.
Just so you know.  Other than that the bike felt fun.  Great motor.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 12:54:16 PM »

I would hope so, even with the revised data above the Audace (at 693# wet and fueled) is still a decent bit lighter (70#) than a Touring (at 763# wet and supposedly fueled).

There may be other differences in seat, board/peg position etc. that contribute to the lighter feeling though right?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Lcarlson

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 03:01:07 PM »
Rain mode cuts power by a ton and softens the throttle response so the bike feels like a scooter. 

I leave the bike in Tourismo all the time.  You get full power but a slightly softer response than Veloce from the throttle.  I leave traction control on 1.  If it's pouring I leave it in Tourismo but bump the traction control up to 2 or even 3 if it's under 50 degrees and raining.

With the exception of it going insanely lean at about 2700rpm on decel, the bike has very, very good fuel injection.  That being said I'm looking forward to trying a Beetle map in the Spring.  I agree that the ABS is great.  The bike stops quicker than a Diavel from 60.     

I tried Pioggia (rain mode) once. I can’t imagine any use for it when the bike is already equipped with traction control. It neuters the motor.

I use Veloce all the time — it makes the bike feel a lot livelier.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:27:49 PM by Lcarlson »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 04:10:28 PM »
Interesting comments
Perhaps Rain Mode should be re-named wimp mode then LOL.

It certainly felt safe in the rain also the bike only had 30 km on the Odo, so I didn't want to take the crop to it. I fiddled about a bit but I couldn't figure out how to change it so I just enjoyed the ride.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 04:46:18 PM »
I tried Pioggia (rain mode) once. I can’t imagine any use for it when the bike is already equipped with traction control. It neuters the motor.

I use Veloce all the time — it makes the bike feel a lot livelier.

I ride two up a lot so while I enjoy flogging it in Veloce mode there's less helmet banging in Tourismo.  Riding modes seem kind of gimmicky to me.  Just do the fueling right and you don't need three different maps.  The TC is a different story.  When it's raining or under 50 degrees it's genuinely useful to switch between the settings.  That's just my .02.       

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 05:51:45 AM »
in my case, i have the california classic which is roughly the precursor to the audace.  i have a fly screen for warm weather and a touring screen for cold weather.  it feels like a different bike when i change shields, so much larger feeling with the touring shield that it seems almost ponderous in comparison.  once the learning curve has kicked in, you realize that you just have to be more deliberate with your inputs to get a similar performance. i still would not trade that larger screen when the weather is cold.
Blue Guzz

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 06:54:40 AM »
At my demo ride on the Audace the pegs we scraping on almost every turn, and out pace was moderate at best.
Just so you know.  Other than that the bike felt fun.  Great motor.

Do they publish lean angles for the different variations? 

With cruise control I prefer floorboards on a tourer. 

Of course with proper riding boots the peg's pressure is distributed.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 07:16:28 AM »
RE: Ride modes, cruise and traction control;

Ride Mode:
My bike never leaves Veloce. I want all I can get, all the time.

Traction Control:
I have disabled traction control. Personally, I hate traction control. I even disabled it on my Stelvio. I guess I'd say the traction control is located between my ears and variably controlled by my wrist.

My feedback to MG was the ability to turn TC on and off at the push of a button and on the fly.

Cruise:
I think all the bikes after '16 have adaptive cruise control (resume, decel, accel) where those before '16 only had the "set it" feature.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 08:17:08 AM »
Do they publish lean angles for the different variations? 

With cruise control I prefer floorboards on a tourer. 

Of course with proper riding boots the peg's pressure is distributed.

I haven't seen lean angles published like they do with Harley's.  I sometimes fold up the boards on second gear corners(like interstate ramps) but you have to really be moving to do it in 3,4 and 5th gear corners.  The seat makes leaning off the side difficult but the pegs don't scrape at anything resembling legal speeds.  The Touring shocks are in inch shorter than the Classic and Eldorado.  I don't know about the MGX or Audace. 

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 10:38:26 AM »
I haven't seen lean angles published like they do with Harley's.  I sometimes fold up the boards on second gear corners(like interstate ramps) but you have to really be moving to do it in 3,4 and 5th gear corners.  The seat makes leaning off the side difficult but the pegs don't scrape at anything resembling legal speeds.  The Touring shocks are in inch shorter than the Classic and Eldorado.  I don't know about the MGX or Audace.

In addition I think it's easy for some of us to forget that rear shock adjustment will have an effect on that lean angle and when you're riding a demo/loaner it might not have been set-up for your weight. Plus lean angle is effected by body English in both directions, some people will lean a bike under them staying upright and reduce their lean angle (consciously or not).

There are lots of factors.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Lcarlson

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 01:01:46 PM »
Plus lean angle is effected by body English in both directions, some people will lean a bike under them staying upright and reduce their lean angle (consciously or not).

There are lots of factors.

If you mean they’re leaning away from the direction of the turn, they need some instruction in basic riding technique.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 01:08:52 PM »
I know how to lean a bike.  Like kev, I took Delveccio's class.
At 205 lbs (me) the bike scraped a lot.  Just an observation to assist if it's needed.  Not a thesis on if I, or anyone else, can ride, or not.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »
If you mean they’re leaning away from the direction of the turn, they need some instruction in basic riding technique.

Except that at very low speeds (parking lot) that's the right technique. And I wasn't even suggesting that as much as I was saying it's not uncommon to see someone without a lot of rider training sit bolt upright and lean the bike only underneath them.

And to be clear I wasn't suggesting that KOF was doing THAT... but it's possible the demo bike was set with little or no preload (I've seen it, hell TWICE I've been handed a demo GUZZI that has never had the clutch adjusted after being removed from the crate).

Or I thought maybe it was possible KOF counterleaned a low speed turn (again parking lot) and scraped and just remembered the scrape and not the speed. I dunno.

But I was just pointing out there are sometimes other factors to consider with regards to a report of a demo and cornering clearance.

Edit- I'm just saying there's always the possibility something is wonky on a demo.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 04:51:54 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 03:39:00 PM »
I do have the preload maxed on my bike.  Like you guys said, it has an effect. 

Lcarlson

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 09:55:24 PM »
I know how to lean a bike.  Like kev, I took Delveccio's class.
At 205 lbs (me) the bike scraped a lot.  Just an observation to assist if it's needed.  Not a thesis on if I, or anyone else, can ride, or not.

Whoa, I believe I was misinterpreted. I wasn’t suggesting that anybody here doesn’t know how to ride. I just noted that, above walking speed manouvers, it is not correct technique to lean away from the direction of the turn. I hope this clears up what I was trying to say.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:36:56 PM by Lcarlson »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here