Author Topic: Adding a charge light to a combined rec/reg?  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Damien00

• New Egg
Adding a charge light to a combined rec/reg?
« on: December 29, 2022, 06:54:48 PM »
 Hi all.
I've an 83 sp1000. P.O. cafed it a bit. Only has Speedo and tach, indicator and hi/low beam idiot lights.
In the process a combined rec/reg was added.
It starts up and was running ok but then didn't seem to charge as it should. All my looking in here seems to indicate that it needs the charge  light to remedy this. Is it possible  to add one with a combined rec/reg?

Any advice welcome.
Thanks

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Adding a charge light to a combined rec/reg?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 07:22:49 PM »
Well you found the right place, anything is possible. An expert will answer you soon. For now welcome!

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 08:28:29 PM »
Yep, that system needs the charge lite to get the juice flowing. Match the watts with what the owner manual says should be in there. 3 Watts by memory but don’t count on that. Follow the wire diagram and wire a bulb and socket assembly in there. Don’t attempt to use an led here. Like Foto sez smart people should be along shortly …
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 08:37:23 PM »
If you have’t yet, get aquatinted with this site too,

https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi.html
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 08:37:23 PM »

Offline kjrj

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 07:53:13 AM »
LED Motorcycle Battery Alternator Charge monitor level indicator warning bike G
gammatronixlimited

An eBay purchase, actually I have two, one on an Spada and one on a cali ev. The Spada has solid state reg/rectifier. Recommended.

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 08:47:14 AM »
Hard to answer that one without knowing exactly what the charging system brand is and also details of the rec/reg unit.
With the standard Bosch set up on those bikes the light ,or a resistor of equivalent resistance , is essential for the alternator.The manufacturer of the rec/reg unit would likely be able to help.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 09:08:54 AM »
Hi all.
I've an 83 sp1000. P.O. cafed it a bit. Only has Speedo and tach, indicator and hi/low beam idiot lights.
In the process a combined rec/reg was added.
It starts up and was running ok but then didn't seem to charge as it should. All my looking in here seems to indicate that it needs the charge  light to remedy this. Is it possible  to add one with a combined rec/reg?

Any advice welcome.
Thanks

What brand "combined rec/reg was added"?

Here's a diagram for the Electrex World RR45. Notice that the warning light is optional.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/edszcqa4z3dtqup/RR45.pdf?dl=0
Charlie

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 09:26:19 AM »
The ORIGINAL system and regulator needs the light to get the initial power to the field winding. An LED will not work. You can also add a simple resistor, something like a 100 ohm 2 watt (that may not be right and is a quick quess).

Without knowing what regulator you now have, there is no way of knowing if it needs the bulb.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 12:29:41 PM »
I overlooked the different regulator rectifier, Wayne is right- you’ll need to read over it.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Damien00

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 06:06:25 PM »
Thanks guys,

It is still Bosch system, forgot to put that, and the rec/reg has the same coloured wires as the electrix world RR45. I'll try and find the rec/reg make too though.

... time for a bit more investigating : )

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2022, 04:02:56 AM »
Check your earths thoroughly while you are at it...I ran them all back direct to the battery when I rebuilt .

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2022, 07:37:00 AM »

Quote from: kjrj on December 30, 2022, 01:53:13 PM
LED Motorcycle Battery Alternator Charge monitor level indicator warning bike G
gammatronixlimited

An eBay purchase, actually I have two, one on an Spada and one on a cali ev. The Spada has solid state reg/rectifier. Recommended.

___________________ _________________

I'll second the Gammatroni light, does a good job of informing re. charge levels and easy to fit. Even has a 'flash' mode when the bike's parked that looks like an immobiliser if that's something you'd like.
I've got one on my LM2, having removed the voltmeter when I minimised the dash.

Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline Damien00

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2023, 04:38:20 PM »
What brand "combined rec/reg was added"?

Here's a diagram for the Electrex World RR45. Notice that the warning light is optional.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/edszcqa4z3dtqup/RR45.pdf?dl=0

Hi guys,

I've had a bit of time to look at the bike again. From what I see I can put a bulb in like the RR45 diagram shows and hopefully  that will help. Ordering bulb and holder now. Ill go  through and clean up  earths and connections first. Waiting on a new battery to turn up too.

I might try the  Gammatroni light in the future right now it's more about just getting it running ok and as reliable as I can.

Been enjoying browisng the forum. Found my motivation again after a bit of time of feeling beaten...all part of the journey  :smiley:

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023, 08:09:23 PM »
 When I rewired mine decades ago I simply removed the charge light circuit altogether . Ignition turned on and power to the
OEM regulator (Bosch) and from there to the brush , through the armature to ground via the other brush  :thumb: . Peter

Offline Damien00

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2024, 01:34:41 PM »
Geez, bit embarrassing but its been awhile since I've been able to get to this project...life 🫣

Aquixk up date:  have charge bulb to install,  cleaned up fuse box and earth's, new battery.

I did find the box for the rec/reg snd it is RR45. In the box I had the old connection

Could anyone tell me what the black wire going from the orange (looks pink) to black wire us? Is this the wire to create draw like a bulb would do?
Second question is if I add the buld is it in added line. Does the X  in diagram mean that wires is cut?

Thanks for any help

Sorry, not as electronically minded as I'd like to be 😅

Offline Damien00

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2024, 03:28:59 PM »
Hi all, just bumping this to see if anyone can help...

Thanks

Online StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2024, 06:35:43 PM »
The black (wire) in your picture is either a resistor or a diode with heat shrink over it.  You would need to remove the heat shrink to find out for sure ( or use an ohmmeter).

Offline Damien00

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2024, 10:59:27 PM »
Thanks,  this is what was under the heat shrink.  I'm googling it now and so far it looks like a diode...?

Offline Damien00

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2024, 02:08:33 PM »
Just bumping this again to see if anyone can give me an idea on if this diode works.as the wire substitute rather than a charge bulb?

I've been looking into it and I'm leaning to yes...?

Thanks

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2024, 03:27:05 PM »
I think if you are deleting the light then it's a resistor that needs to replace it in the line but that is probably with the stock Bosch set up.

Offline Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2024, 08:08:11 AM »
I can't tell for sure without seeing a wiring diagram, but the way that diode is connected makes me think it is to protect (something downstream) from a reverse polarity connection.  I doubt it has anything to do with bootstrapping the field the way the light does.  To make it work with an LED, you have to put the resistor in parallel with the LED and replace only the incandescent bulb with the LED/resistor combination.  No other changes to the wiring, the same two wires going to the bulb still go to the LED/resistor.

Edited after reviewing the 1st post:  if you're not interested in having a charge light on the dash, just put a resistor in place of the bulb in the wiring harness and tuck it away out of sight.  The LED is only needed for a warning light, the resistor does the actual work.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 08:42:27 AM by Howard R »
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2024, 09:04:45 AM »
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2024, 09:58:37 AM »
Exactamento Howard...I upgraded to LED's in my panel and had to put in a resistor to get the alternator to charge.

Offline Damien00

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2024, 02:30:48 AM »
Thanks guys, that does help  :thumb:

Offline Swedemoto

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2024, 01:38:09 PM »
I have one to install on my CX. If I'm understanding the wiring diagram and Greg's instructions correctly, I'm to connect the single spade end to 61 on the rectifier (leaving the light blue wire from the dash disconnected) and the dual spade end to the output side of the F3 fuse (rear wheel side)?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2024, 02:36:06 PM »
I have one to install on my CX. If I'm understanding the wiring diagram and Greg's instructions correctly, I'm to connect the single spade end to 61 on the rectifier (leaving the light blue wire from the dash disconnected) and the dual spade end to the output side of the F3 fuse (rear wheel side)?

If you're referring to one of Greg's bootstrap harnesses, the single spade goes to a switched connection on the fuseblock and the piggyback spade goes to the 61 terminal on the diode board. Blue wire from the warning light connects to the piggyback on 61.
Charlie

Offline Swedemoto

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2024, 10:00:01 AM »
If you're referring to one of Greg's bootstrap harnesses, the single spade goes to a switched connection on the fuseblock and the piggyback spade goes to the 61 terminal on the diode board. Blue wire from the warning light connects to the piggyback on 61.

Thanks Charlie. Makes more sense as you describe. I probably should have mentioned, my bike has no dash lights. The PO had removed the dash and CUT off the terminal block to the dash. It's not immediately in front of me, but I believe the speedo gauge has a neutral light integrated? I need to check. So the next question would be: do I need to reinstall the gen light or can I do without entirely and just use the jumper?
Thanks, Chris

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2024, 12:27:29 PM »
Thanks Charlie. Makes more sense as you describe. I probably should have mentioned, my bike has no dash lights. The PO had removed the dash and CUT off the terminal block to the dash. It's not immediately in front of me, but I believe the speedo gauge has a neutral light integrated? I need to check. So the next question would be: do I need to reinstall the gen light or can I do without entirely and just use the jumper?
Thanks, Chris

With the bootstrap harness there is no need for a light, but a light is handy to let you know that the system is charging.
Charlie

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here