Author Topic: Norge plastic repair  (Read 417 times)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Norge plastic repair
« on: February 03, 2023, 08:41:33 AM »
I have a Norge that has aged pretty well. That is, some of the tabs on the fairing pieces are broken. Is the fairing (side panels) plastic or some kind of ABS? Would it be pretty hard to fabricate new mounting tabs that are Strong? I’m sorta bummed out and might end up parting it out but what a hassle that would be and I’m not too sure how many owners would need any of the mechanical parts anyway. And then there’s shipping the big parts  cost. It’s been super reliable over 94,000 miles.
Any ideas ?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
Re: Norge plastic repair
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 10:18:33 AM »
I was successful in re-attaching a broken clip tab using JB weld.   I cut a piece of thin steel to supply the
strength, and glued it all together with the JBW (after cleaning and sanding to give everything
some grip).   The little arrow shaped plug I have not been able
to repair, but I intend to build the fairing up till it almost meets the frame and use velcro.

kaladin
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 10:59:55 AM »
I have a Norge that has aged pretty well. That is, some of the tabs on the fairing pieces are broken. Is the fairing (side panels) plastic or some kind of ABS? Would it be pretty hard to fabricate new mounting tabs that are Strong? I’m sorta bummed out and might end up parting it out but what a hassle that would be and I’m not too sure how many owners would need any of the mechanical parts anyway. And then there’s shipping the big parts  cost. It’s been super reliable over 94,000 miles.
Any ideas ?
I’ve had some tabs welded and they’re fine.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 12:35:22 PM »
If you have a loop still available on the broken tab, a small slim zip tie thru the tab and then to the frame/anchoring point also works...I've got one broken tab and was able to attach the body work using this method.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 12:35:22 PM »

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 12:58:57 PM »
Foto I’ve used the metal micro mesh used in body work with JB weld as mentioned, with success. But once I’d fixed it I realized how much heat comes up with the whole Tupperware package on, so I took the lowers, around the oil pan back off. The lower legs/ calves still get a little uncomfortable  for me when riding above 80 -85 degrees for extended periods. Most of the Norges I see are like this, not sure if it’s due to the tabs breaking or the riders found the same heat thing.

How is your engine work coming along?

Not to steal this thread but, Maybe we need to start a pole. How many Norge riders still have all the Tupperware on it? If not why?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 01:01:58 PM by drdwb »
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 02:45:44 PM »
Calling it Tupperware makes it sound so "homey".  But yes, all of mine is still attached...2008 Norge.  I'd like to get it all painted a different color, but after disassembling most of it years ago, and realizing how many more bits were left to take off, I gave up, and left it silver.
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 02:57:52 PM »
I bought mine new in ‘08 (it’s an ‘07) and left the lowers on for 3 minutes and 100 metres.
I gave them to someone in the ‘States, can’t remember who.
Is this the zip tie method you spoke of Paul ?
<They last reasonably well, but in that environment, eventually go brittle and break.
On the left side of mine, I cleaned off the broken remnants of the mount and made a new bracket, drilled through the panel and fitted a grommet into the plastic.
It now has a nice stainless mushroom head bolt in it… :thumb:
Visible in this shot.

I’ll do the same to the other side.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 03:56:15 PM by Huzo »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 03:04:03 PM »
I bought mine new in ‘08 (it’s an ‘07) and left the lowers on for 3 minutes and 100 metres.
I gave them to someone in the ‘States, can’t remember who.
Is this the zip tie method you spoke of Paul ?

Hi Huzo...not me...my plastic bits are all original since I bought the bike from Mike at MPH.  Some other lucky soul has your Tupperware!

Yes...same zip tie method!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 07:57:10 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Norge plastic
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 03:19:07 PM »
I think I have it fixed with JBWeld.. it’s drying now so I’m waiting to see.
Boy the body work is held together with a lot of small fasteners and not too much substantial fixtures. I’m surprised it’s held up as well as it has.
The engine is all repaired, rebuilt heads etc. have not started it yet tho.. waiting for Cadre to deliver new header studs..they offer free shipping now.. :azn:
I’ll  try that soon but want some run in time to seat the new rings so bring on spring! :popcorn:
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 03:45:28 PM »
Hi Huzo...not me...my plastic bits are all original since I bought the bike from Mike at MPH.  Some other lucky soul has your Tupperware!
I just went through my messages.
It was iHONK (Randy) in the ‘States. He was very appreciative, nice guy….

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 10:28:13 AM »
I have an 07 which I also bought new from MPH and I still have all the original plastic except for the lowers which are on a shelf. I think one tab is broken but all the rest are OK. Whenever I've removed a piece I have added some JBW around the base of the tabs.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here