Author Topic: Loopframe sidestand.  (Read 3304 times)

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
Loopframe sidestand.
« on: March 09, 2015, 06:42:49 AM »
After my accident last year I replaced my 750S3 with a V7 700cc. I'm back riding and enjoying the new beasty. My problem is that I've been left with a weak right wrist. This means that I feel very insecure holding the bike up while getting off it before deploying the side stand. I can't stand astride the bike and hold the stand down with my foot while leaning the bike over as my right foot would leave the ground. The stand is a short type fitted to the lower frame rail and snaps back like a rat trap when the weight is taken off it. If I were able to put the stand out, move my left foot away from it, then lean the bike over all would be fine. I'm 6 foot 4 and am not talking about sitting on the bike while it's on the stand!

Has anyone modified the stand so it will just but, only just stay down? I don't want to make things risky by it locking down. I've thought about some sort of wavy washer in the hinge to add some resistance to the mechanism or relocating the spring mounting.

At the moment I'm just about ok if I'm on a good level-ish surface and have the bike in gear as I get off.
1972 V7Sport. Owned by me since 1978.
1972 V7 700cc ex Vigili del Fuoco?
1954 BSA M33

Read my blog at www.racingrhino.wor dpress.com

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
Re: Loopframe sidestand.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 08:35:43 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by making the side stand stay down. If you mean that it won't fold up against the frame while riding, you'll have another "get off"! It looks like you're running leg shields and crash bars. You may be able to fit a police side stand that is longer and can be deployed while seated on the bike. I can get some pictures, if you need them, maybe someone else here already has some they could show you.
Joe Walano

dilligaf

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 09:41:10 AM »
I hold the side stand down with my foot and lean the bike until the side stand comes into contact with the ground.  After all these years this procedure always seems iffy but, so far, has worked.  :BEER:
Matt

PA:  When my side stands start staying down I know it time for some lubrication.   

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »

Has anyone modified the stand so it will just but, only just stay down? I don't want to make things risky by it locking down. I've thought about some sort of wavy washer in the hinge to add some resistance to the mechanism or relocating the spring mounting.

At the moment I'm just about ok if I'm on a good level-ish surface and have the bike in gear as I get off.

The way that sidestand originally functioned was that it stayed deployed until retracted. I'd rather have it that way instead of springing up. Just train yourself to retract it - go through a routine each time you ride and stick to it.

There has been discussion on the Loopframe Guzzi Yahoo Group about using some sort of mechanism to retract it, linked somehow to the clutch cable. Never did pursue it further though.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 11:18:52 AM »
Feeling a bit stupid!

Took the side stand off, cleaned it up then added a washer under the head of the pivot bolt to close the "fork" a bit. That made it slow to retract rather than spring back with full force. Deployed the stand a few times and found that if I push the stand out with the toe of my boot on the arm, I can get my heel on the ground as I tilt the bike and all is good. I had been tyring to push the stand out with my instep. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:19:35 AM by v7john »
1954 BSA M33

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 11:43:48 AM »
Reposition the bike end of the spring a bit farther forward so there is a slight pull to keep it down.   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 06:29:29 PM »
Although I could manage, I decided to do something to move the spring anchor point forward as suggested.

Well, I reckon I've spent about 15 hours making a bracket that does the job! I thought there would be a simple solution but there wasn't.

The new spring anchor point looked like it needed to be exactly where a bolt passes through to hold a complicated plate with the existing anchor point on. I made up a special bolt to fit in the bolt hole. This worked in that the stand would now stay down but when retracted it didn't feel secure. I was concerned that I could go aver a bump and the stand could flip down!

Second attempt involved welding a bent stud to a replica of the original spring plate. The bend would bring the pivot point up as well as forward so that the spring would go over centre both when the stand was up and down. This worked but the spring was now too short so a tab was fashioned to extend the length of the spring.

However, this plate wasn't quite right and so a final version was fabricated this time using 2 bolts with their heads chamfered then welded together and to the replica of the old spring plate. Old arrangement below, my new version above.

Now the stand stays down and stows away securely.

I'm not sure if it would flip up if I rode off with the stand down and it caught on the ground. I'll just have to make sure I remember to raise it. I didn't have any problem on the S3 with a cali stand and no interlock switch.

The only thing I might need to change is to cut the extra length off one of the threaded sections as I can see it will get in the way of removing the sump.
1954 BSA M33

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here