Author Topic: Loopframe tow hitches.  (Read 4456 times)

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
Loopframe tow hitches.
« on: May 24, 2016, 07:04:02 AM »
I've been offered a very good deal on a motorcycle specific trailer. I know there are plenty of people who will say "No! Don't do it!" but I fancy giving it a try.

Someone here must have fitted a hitch to a loopframe Guzzi? If so, can they please post pictures, diagrams or anything useful. I know Euro hitches are different to those in the US but any help I can get will help me to fabricate something. My old V7 has the original military/police type panniers fitted and I'm wondering if I could just make a beefed up version of their frame to take the hitch.

I would be inclined to add a brace from the inner loop of the pannier bracket to the footpeg mount. I would then probably remove the chrome rack.

Any experiences of towing with one of these would be good to hear as well.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:05:17 AM by v7john »
1972 V7Sport. Owned by me since 1978.
1972 V7 700cc ex Vigili del Fuoco?
1954 BSA M33

Read my blog at www.racingrhino.wor dpress.com

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Loopframe tow hitches.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 07:17:23 AM »
I have a hitch I used on my last Eldo. It mounted at the rear foot peg brackets and the mounts on the fender loop. Very simple design, it would likely be in conflict with your bag mounts.

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:45:10 AM »
I have a hitch I used on my last Eldo. It mounted at the rear foot peg brackets and the mounts on the fender loop. Very simple design, it would likely be in conflict with your bag mounts.
Are you saying that the hitch you had was mounted to the same points as the bag frame I have? Any photos?

I would like to keep the bags if possible. If there is a design out there which works and is sturdy enough (we are limited to pulling 150Kg/330pounds), I suppose I could add mounts for the bags to the tow bracket, rather than adding the tow bracket to the bag mounts.
1954 BSA M33

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 03:33:53 AM »
Can anyone else help me with this?

Also, I have just found out that the Euro type-approved hitch is not required for motorcycles in the UK, just cars. So a US type hitch is ok.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:19:02 AM by v7john »
1954 BSA M33

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 03:33:53 AM »

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 04:49:12 AM »
How difficult is it to remove your rear wheel now with those pannier brackets? Adding a trailer hitch would probably make it even more difficult.

Your idea of fabricating a hitch simillar to what you have only stronger is a good idea.

Maybe Mark at Moto Guzzi Classics has the one from John Schwartz. John towed a trailer all across the  USA.
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 07:16:08 AM »
How difficult is it to remove your rear wheel now with those pannier brackets? Adding a trailer hitch would probably make it even more difficult.

Your idea of fabricating a hitch simillar to what you have only stronger is a good idea.

Maybe Mark at Moto Guzzi Classics has the one from John Schwartz. John towed a trailer all across the  USA.
It can be done but, I wouldn't want to get the wheel out at the roadside. Up on the ramp it's easy enough. When working on the ground I've had to remove the panniers, their frame and the silencers.

I'm pretty much settled on making a stronger copy of the pannier frame with a couple of extra tubes each side. One to bridge the gap between the inner and outer rails of the rack at the bottom and perhaps one to triangulate the rail coming down from the top mounting.

I can't do much until I get the trailer to my place and, of course, I have nothing to tow with. It won't quite fit in the back of my car.
1954 BSA M33

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 07:37:29 AM »
Me? I got nothing except, DAMN, that's a beautiful V-7!

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 12:02:49 PM »
Sorry for not responding sooner, yes it does attach at same points. Sorry no pics. Not sure how solid your bag mounts  are but they look like welding on a plate for a ball mount is all you need. I could be wrong, maybe they are not that strong.

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 03:48:47 PM »
Sorry for not responding sooner, yes it does attach at same points. Sorry no pics. Not sure how solid your bag mounts  are but they look like welding on a plate for a ball mount is all you need. I could be wrong, maybe they are not that strong.
Thanks, that means I know that those points on the frame are definitely the right ones to use. My problem is that I don't really know how strong the tow bracket needs to be. The existing pannier rack is strong enough to heave the bike around with and you could be right about just adding a plate and ball. I don't think the pull on it will be an issue but perhaps the sideways stresses on it will.

As I will probably be making a new pannier frame and storing the original, I might as well beef up my copy as a belt-and-braces measure.
1954 BSA M33

kidneb

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 05:04:25 PM »
I'm pretty much settled on making a stronger copy of the pannier frame with a couple of extra tubes each side. One to bridge the gap between the inner and outer rails of the rack at the bottom and perhaps one to triangulate the rail coming down from the top mounting.

Sounds to me that you have a very good idea of things, and of what has to be done. Making a new rack (maybe a little beefed up) and save the original for originals sake is also what I would do.
I think that bridging the gap at the bottom (between the bends) would be enough. When the panniers are mounted they will also stiffen things up, +  you have two mounting points that are vertically offset on each side. I`m not sure if BillinPA has that on his rack?

BTW John,- I�ve always admired your red V7 since you showed it here when you got it. I usually don`t like red bikes (cars even worse), but yours !  :bow:

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 05:35:33 PM »
Sounds to me that you have a very good idea of things, and of what has to be done. Making a new rack (maybe a little beefed up) and save the original for originals sake is also what I would do.
I think that bridging the gap at the bottom (between the bends) would be enough. When the panniers are mounted they will also stiffen things up, +  you have two mounting points that are vertically offset on each side. I`m not sure if BillinPA has that on his rack?

BTW John,- I�ve always admired your red V7 since you showed it here when you got it. I usually don`t like red bikes (cars even worse), but yours !  :bow:
Thanks, I'm feeling reassured that I'm on the right track with my plan.

When I bought the V7 I wasn't sure if I could live with the colour and thought I might have to repaint it! However, although it is very much "in your face", it looks right somehow. In fact, if needs be, I'll paint it the same bright red again.

.... and guess what colour the trailer is?
1954 BSA M33

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 06:47:27 PM »
The hitch isnt really the problem it is the brakes!!  I have a '89 Honda PC800 with a hitch and tow a trailer with an RD400 Yamaha on it.  It Tows great BUT the brakes are a serious concern all the time.  I have dual disk front and drum rear.  Fading is a continual concern when in stop and go traffic or serious emergency braking.  I know that there is a braking system available for small trailers, I would highly recommend it.  That said, there are some that don't like the system.

76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

kidneb

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 11:39:53 AM »

BillinPA,- I guess your hitch is something like this ?           (I did`t get the "fender loop" at once)

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 11:56:18 AM »
The hitch isnt really the problem it is the brakes!!  I have a '89 Honda PC800 with a hitch and tow a trailer with an RD400 Yamaha on it.  It Tows great BUT the brakes are a serious concern all the time.  I have dual disk front and drum rear.  Fading is a continual concern when in stop and go traffic or serious emergency braking.  I know that there is a braking system available for small trailers, I would highly recommend it.  That said, there are some that don't like the system.

I guess I won't know if the brakes will be a problem until I try it. The trailer is unbraked. The bike has the usual twin leading shoe front drum and a leading/trailing shoe one at the back. I wont be towing anything as heavy as your RD400. We are restricted to 150Kg/330lbs in the UK and I doubt I'll use all that allowance.

By the way, I used to own an RD250 then RD400 back in the 70s. The 400 was just mad!

BillinPA,- I guess your hitch is something like this ?           (I did`t get the "fender loop" at once)

My original thought was to make a PAV trailer from new spares as everything is available. However, I was offered the 2-wheel trailer for a lot less money and I haven't got to put it together.
1954 BSA M33

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 03:47:48 PM »
I'm back again to say that I finally got the trailer the 20 something miles home! With a little creativity it did fit in the back of my Fiat Doblo.

Today I have been giving the trailer the "once over" and offered it up to the bike to look at tow ball height etc. The decals are the previous owner's. He towed it with a Panther sloper. If that could handle it, I'm sure my old V7 will manage.

Yesterday I got to talk to the owner of a similar trailer and it seems that just fitting a plate and hitch to the original pannier rack would be fine. As I'm paying to have someone make the bracket (I can weld but the pipe bending is a problem) I might have to get the original adapted rather than have a new one made. It depends on how deep my pockets have to be!

I'm thinking I might even put an easily removable hitch on the V7Sport. Having seen the set-up on a Cali EV, I think I could make something like that myself.

I'll let you know when there's more progress.
1954 BSA M33

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
Well folks, I said I would be back.

I did get a local engineering firm to make a modified copy of the original pannier frame. So the original can be put safely away. I discussed my plans with the maker who agreed that the extra bracing would be needed between the two lower loops of the frame. He also considered triangulating the uprights but, in the end, felt it wasn't necessary. As we were starting with a new frame he made it out of solid bar. Surprisingly, it's not that heavy and it's certainly strong enough!

The weather this morning was pretty foul and the new rack was showing signs of rust by the time I had ridden home - all of 20 minutes.

I refitted the panniers to make sure everything lined up.

Then it was all dismantled again so that I can paint the new pannier frame.

1954 BSA M33

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 04:12:02 PM »
Wow, that is a nice setup!  Really good looking design.  The trailer looks nice, the color seems to match your bike. 
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 04:34:17 PM »
Thanks. The colour of the trailer is close to the bike's but, that's pure luck! Usually they're black.

The trailer was cheap - £200 (GBP) which today is apparently $273.
1954 BSA M33

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 04:53:42 PM »
Just an update to let you know that I've finished fitting my new tow hitch. I've not been for a test ride yet to see how the rig handles.

If you're interested, I've gone into detail as usual on my blog. It's probably all a bit too much though.

https://racingrhino.wordpress.com/2016/06/22/tow-hitch-for-the-fire-bike-part-1-21-jun-2016/
https://racingrhino.wordpress.com/2016/06/26/tow-hitch-for-the-fire-bike-part-2-26-jun-2016/
https://racingrhino.wordpress.com/2016/06/29/tow-hitch-for-the-fire-bike-part-3-29-jun-2016/
1954 BSA M33

canuck750

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 05:49:31 PM »
That looks fantastic!  :bow: :bow: :bow:

I may just have to copy your good work and fit the same to my Eldorado.

Cheers

Jim

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 06:36:16 AM »
I've made one alteration to the set up by moving the towing socket to the level of the "E" in the registration plate so that the "6" isn't obscured by the socket when not towing. I'd rather not have any excuse to be stopped for a chat with a policeman.

This morning I hitched up the trailer and took to the roads. I've often heard it said but, "it was like it wasn't there!" and the braking was fine. I had the opportunity to try it in the dry and the wet! The trailer was empty for my first attempt so that might have had something to do with it.

I'll have to go in the loft soon to get all my camping gear out. I'll then have another go with the trailer loaded.

I'm not sure how much wind to put in the trailer tyres. Maximum pressure is 37psi with a load of 175Kg per tyre. As the trailers' maximum weight is 150Kg, that's just 75Kg per wheel so I've gone with just 18psi for the moment.
1954 BSA M33

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here