Author Topic: Is there any interest in a Utah "Guzzi" get together?  (Read 10687 times)

Online skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Is there any interest in a Utah "Guzzi" get together?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 09:06:21 PM »
Sounds like a great idea. I will try and keep my calender open for it. September is a great month for riding in that part of the country.

Skippy
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 09:15:52 PM »
May have to see if I could make that work. Would be a wonderful ride on the Norge from central Kansas.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 03:54:59 PM »
Thanks for looking at this Utrider!  It is a great idea, and seems to be getting a lot of interest.  Hope to see everyone there. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »
I made a phone call to the Heber City Chamber of Commerce, office of tourism.  They were very receptive to the idea.  They gave me some great suggestions, one of which is a tour of a private community just east of town.  Apparently the car clubs and other bike clubs really enjoy accessing the roads in this community.  I have driven by it, but really never paid it much attention. 

The lady at the tourism office thought the weekend after Labor Day would be perfect, as the local accommodations would be over their summer rush.  She suggested camping at Wasatch Park and Deer Creek as well.  I will be going up to a resort called the "Homestead" to talk to them about perhaps hosting it.  They have some pretty cool accommodations as well as a natural spring fed pools and a cave they allow people to dive in. The downside of this place is that everything is a bit expensive, and there are plenty of other options available.

https://homesteadresort.com/utah-resort-things-to-do/homestead-crater/

Even if we stayed somewhere else, might be a fun "thing to do".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2018, 06:43:35 PM »
I am planning to be there.
My impression after four MG rallies (or notarallies) is that MG riders are almost as "frugal" as KLR riders (I'm one of those too). Many like to tent camp but others like a cabin or a room. (the Ouray KOA worked good for that, except for the bear). Also, having breakfast and dinner nearby is important (within walking distance is handy for those who like adult beverages).
PS: Homestead is too pricy for me.

Dan
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
Six hours for me. I'd do it.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 09:09:54 AM »
Also, remember that the 3rd weekend in August is always the New Mexico State Rally in Datil, which always draws about 75 riders.  They have been doing this for >20 years now! :thumb: :1: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 12:14:26 PM »
Matt gives away a Guzzi too.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2018, 12:13:39 PM »
I'm in the mood already  :bike-037:
I'm starting to think about the route to take from Vancouver to Heber City, for those familiar with this part of the US what's a good way to go Sans Super Slab without adding on days?
Over 20 to Winthrop is a given but after that?
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2018, 12:54:41 PM »
If you take the Eldo, your options will be better for gas range.  The Griso will limit your choices. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »
I'm starting to think about the route to take from Vancouver to Heber City, for those familiar with this part of the US what's a good way to go Sans Super Slab without adding on days?

20 to Newport Wa....Hwy 2...Sandpoint...Hwy 200....Missoula.... US 93 south to Arco...HWY 26 to Blackfoot...91 to Logan.....89 to Farmington, then jump on the superslab  for a few miles........maybe I can make it....not sure yet.

Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 08:13:36 PM »
20 to Newport Wa....Hwy 2...Sandpoint...Hwy 200....Missoula.... US 93 south to Arco...HWY 26 to Blackfoot...91 to Logan.....89 to Farmington, then jump on the superslab  for a few miles........maybe I can make it....not sure yet.

Tim

Pretty much the route I would pick. Here's some more ideas:

From Blackfoot, take US 91 to McCammon (US 91 gets on I-15, but there are frontage roads), east on US 30 to Montpelier, south on US 89 to Garden City, south on Utah 30 to Sage Creek Junction, south on Utah 16, becomes Wyo 150, thru Evanston, becomes Utah 150, which will take you into the Heber City area. Avoids the SLC metro area and any more interstate. Also, many sections are Butler map rated roads.

Another suggestion: Instead of taking US 93 all the way to Arco: Just south of Challis take Idaho 75 thru Stanley and Sun Valley (the Sawtooth Mountains are gorgeous). When you get out of the mountains pick up US 20 to Arco and you are back on route. But, stop and visit Craters of the Moon NP and EBR1 (Experimental Breeder Reactor #1). Yes, it's an extra 120 miles and 2.5 hours (plus sight seeing) but it is well worth it, and is mostly Butler rated roads.
Dan

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2018, 12:25:00 AM »

Roy don't you dare think of riding without giving me a heads up on when your starting out.
 :popcorn:

Offline Archangel

• New Egg
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2018, 06:11:49 PM »
Beautiful area with some great riding and exploring, HOWEVER the traffic in Heber itself can be horrendous. Explosive growth in the Park City and surrounding areas has made traffic and congestion a bit of a concern in downtown Heber, I believe they just finished basically a 4 lane Hwy in and out of town. A rally in the area would be a great idea just as long as it wasn't too close to downtown Heber.  Even off season now is crowded due to all the new residences. 
2022 V7 850 Special
2017 Yamaha XT250
2013 Stelvio NTX - Sold
1995 Cali 1100 - Sold

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 02:18:00 PM »
Roy don't you dare think of riding without giving me a heads up on when your starting out.
 :popcorn:

Ok Dale, I figure it will be away a week or 8 days
I wonder what the weather is like that time of year, ok for camping?
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Frulk

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »
Hot! With possibility of late afternoon thunderstorms. I boat in that area.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2018, 03:02:25 PM »
Hot! With possibility of late afternoon thunderstorms. I boat in that area.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=94118.0

Would it fry a Kiwi's brain, I need to know!
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=94118.0

Would it fry a Kiwi's brain, I need to know!

How could anyone tell?  :tongue:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2018, 04:35:58 PM »
HaHa, I asked for that :embarassed:

Thanks Toolittletime and Redhawk47 for the great route suggestions, I'm enjoying the virtual trip already.

I see Bozeman on the map, I always thought it would be cool to visit there, it seems it would be a good fit from Blackfoot but I expect a drag through Yellowstone, what do you think of that option?
Cheers
Roy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:33:57 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2018, 07:58:13 PM »
Any more info on the location of this meet, or whether the resort place is the way to go?  I'm wondering if we should be looking at reservations in the near future.

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »
I am still working on this.  The Homestead Resort is open to the idea, and I suggested perhaps "allowing" some camping on the premises........the y weren't too sure about that!  LOL

As Archangel mentioned the area has experienced some significant growth in the last few years, I think the opportunity for travel in the area is worth the dealing with some traffic getting out of town.  I have another trip up there planned for tomorrow, I will let you all know what I find out.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2018, 05:41:00 PM »
HaHa, I asked for that :embarassed:

Thanks Toolittletime and Redhawk47 for the great route suggestions, I'm enjoying the virtual trip already.

I see Bozeman on the map, I always thought it would be cool to visit there, it seems it would be a good fit from Blackfoot but I expect a drag through Yellowstone, what do you think of that option?
Cheers
Roy

Most of Yellowstone is 45mph limit, often slower. Anytime after Labor Day, snow can block roads (and it has actually snowed in the park on every calendar day of the year at some time or another). The space between Labor Day and Columbus Day (CDN Thanksgiving) is actually my favorite time for the park, but you have to be prepared to take what comes weather-wise. Out of 15b trips I've made there at that time of year, 14 were crisp, clear, Indian Summer kind of weather. The 15th time, I woke up in Old Faithful Lodge one morning to see a fresh layer of more than 2 feet of snow. We walked for the next couple of days till the plows and the sun had cleared things up.

If you overnight in Bozeman, you can check the weather and your expected speed of travel before starting out in the morning. If all looks good and you're not rushed, go in the entrance at Gardiner for the maximum one-day park experience. If things look good but you need to make better time and still want to include a quick look at the park, go south from Boseman to West Yellowstone and enter the park there, just above the major geyser basins. Either of these routes exit to the south past Lake Yellowstone heading out to Grand Teton and Jackson, WY. Then continue on US-89, one of the west's great roads.

If you get to Bozeman and find that weather or delays have made the park impractical, the bail-out alternative is to go to West Yellowstone, then follow US-20 south to Idaho Falls and pick up I-15. Some pretty riding, but not as good as the US-89 route. However, much better maintained in adverse weather, both on US-20 and of course on the interstate.

If you have the time, well worth the risk - but be prepared to be flexible and change plans as the weather dictates.

We may see you there.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

twowings

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2018, 06:04:46 PM »
Should the tent crowd just pick a campground nearby? If this place isn't cool with tents, then I don't want to intrude...

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2018, 09:20:15 PM »
I spent the day in the Heber Valley area today, and had several very productive meetings.  I am awaiting proposals from 2 resorts for VERY NICE accommodations at what are very reasonable prices.  Both resorts have 2 restaurants on site, one has a full bar.  These are both in the small Swiss themed town of Midway. 

There are tent and cabin accommodations available at Wasatch Mountain State Park, which is less than 2 miles away.  These will be in the Pine Creek camp area of the park.  I was informed that reservations can't be made until 3 mos from the arrival date.  I will get hold of the State parks dept. and see if I can work something out for a group, where we can tie up some of the facilities a bit earlier. Link to campground: https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/wasatch-mountain/  It is the Pine Creek area.

The cabins can accommodate up to 6 people, they will be $60.00 for Thursday night and $80.00 for Friday and Saturday. I'm certain they are just a place to throw a bedroll down, and have a roof over your head.  The tenting sites have a pad, and a table.  There should be shade from the trees that time of year.  Small bears and mountain lions live in the neighborhood, and after last year in Ouray........well you've been warned.   :grin:

I will post up the rest of the information as I come by it.  The dates for this are arriving on Thursday September 6th and staying through Sunday September 9th.  I am planning at staying at which ever resort comes through for us, for myself and my wife. 

On Friday I would be happy to lead a group ride around the area.  On Saturday it is my intention to have at least 2 rides going, one with a good bit of easy dirt, for those so inclined, and another longer route up over Mirror Lake Highway (Utah Highway 150).  If there is enough interest there could be a shorter, really fun loop of a lot of tight twisty asphalt as well. 

If you have any questions please post them up.  I will be getting with Frank to put up some info in the newsletter.  Look forward to hearing your thoughts and appreciate the PM's with suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 01:52:46 PM by Utrider »

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2018, 09:31:41 PM »

Kiwi Roy, my name is Roy also  :grin:

So an alternative that I have taken, and you could do it coming or going is Highway 26 through Oregon, to Baker City, then Oregon 86 which turns into Idaho 71 as you cross the Snake River.  Hang a left onto 95 and then at New Meadows onto 55 South to Banks.  Take the Lowman/Banks Road to Idaho 21.  Here you have a choice to make if you go South, well it is an amazing fun road........BUT you will hit the slab just South of Boise, and it isn't a lot of fun. If you go North and through Stanley, it is sensational and you have a choice to go down 75 through Sun Valley, or 93 through Arco. 

Anyway, I hope which ever way you choose you arrive safely as I look forward to meeting everyone!

Moto

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2018, 10:07:06 PM »
Pretty much the route I would pick. Here's some more ideas:

I strongly second Redhawk's recommendations -- those are really nice routes I've ridden many times. I don't recommend the Bozeman to Yellowstone idea, because of the traffic and because the roads and scenery are not superior to Redhawk's.

Have fun. Wish I could be out West then.

Moto

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2018, 11:28:06 PM »
On Friday I would be happy to lead a group ride around the area.  On Saturday it is my intention to have at least 2 rides going, one with a good bit of easy dirt, for those so inclined, and another longer route up over Mirror Lake Highway (Utah Highway 150).  If there is enough interest there could be a shorter, really fun loop of a lot of tight twisty asphalt as well. 

Hwy 150 looks good; it is a Butler map recommended route. I have not ridden it.
Is the "shorter, really fun loop of a lot of tight twisty asphalt " the Alpine Loop, Hwy 92? I have ridden that and would call east half TIGHT. I think an out and back would be more fun than a loop.
Dan

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »
Hwy 150 looks good; it is a Butler map recommended route. I have not ridden it.
Is the "shorter, really fun loop of a lot of tight twisty asphalt " the Alpine Loop, Hwy 92? I have ridden that and would call east half TIGHT. I think an out and back would be more fun than a loop.

Dan, yes that is how it would start, but then when you come out the bottom of American Fork canyon, you go right at Highland Dr and stay against the mountain through Draper and Sandy to Big Cottonwood Canyon.  Up Big Cottonwood Canyon to Guardsman Pass and drop down into the Heber Valley.  When this road comes down off of Guardsman it will go right by the Pine Creek campground and into Midway.

I thought about the 92 out and back, however I know when I travel, I tend to prefer loops and see a bit more than an out and back.  Even reversing the above route would be fun.  Big Cottonwood Canyon is beautiful and the road from the summit of Guardsman down into Midway will remind you a lot of 92.   :grin:

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2018, 08:16:27 AM »
I am really glad to see this in the works. Don Boyd was one of my best friends. I introduced him to Moto Guzzis many years ago when we both were living in Lincoln, NE. The year he died my wife and I visited the Boyds at their home in Cedar City. Don and I did a lot of riding all around that area and it was to be last time I was with him. We attended a rally in the mountains north of Elko Nevada on that trip as well. I hope you can get this rally up and going and if it at all possible I would love to attend. Reading about all of this has brought back some great memories. Riding in Utah is some of best I have ever done. Thanks
Cedar City Utah June 16th 2005
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:19:59 AM by MotoG5 »
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2018, 09:41:41 AM »
I am really glad to see this in the works. Don Boyd was one of my best friends. I introduced him to Moto Guzzis many years ago when we both were living in Lincoln, NE. The year he died my wife and I visited the Boyds at their home in Cedar City. Don and I did a lot of riding all around that area and it was to be last time I was with him. We attended a rally in the mountains north of Elko Nevada on that trip as well. I hope you can get this rally up and going and if it at all possible I would love to attend. Reading about all of this has brought back some great memories. Riding in Utah is some of best I have ever done. Thanks
Cedar City Utah June 16th 2005

Thank you sir for that fine honor, paid to Don.  I have heard about Mr. Boyd from a couple of the other members here and I hope I can honor his memory and create a new experience sharing some of what the best of Utah has to offer, as well as an experience that people will remember.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here