Author Topic: Motus Shutting Down (NGC)  (Read 6611 times)

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
Motus Shutting Down (NGC)
« on: September 01, 2018, 07:40:06 AM »
https://www.citybike.com/news-clues-rumors/motus-motorcycles-shutting-down-effective-immediately/

To all Motus customers, dealers, staff, suppliers, friends,

After an amazing ten year ride, Motus is forced to shut down operations, effective immediately.

This week, Motus' financial backers unexpectedly informed management that they will not provide sufficient capital to maintain operations and grow the business. We were surprised and disappointed, especially because we have been working so hard preparing an October 2018 product launch into a new and exciting segment as well as new features on the MST series. This is very unfortunate timing and we will work to quickly find a new path forward for Motus Motorcycles and our American V4 powertrain division.

We are very grateful to Team Motus, truly the finest group of professionals and people, who have each dedicated so much of their hearts and soul to Motus. We are also thankful to our dealers and the many customers and supporters who have cheered us on and put gas in our tanks along the way.

For Motus owners, hang on to those motorcycles. As you already know, they are heirlooms, unlike any other motorcycles ever built.

Very sincerely,

Lee Conn and Brian Case, founders

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Motus Shutting Down (NGC)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 07:44:05 AM »
If this bike is as good as they say it is, perhaps this is an opportunity for someone to grab the design and production from bankruptcy?  You never know how these things really work.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Litre1000

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 07:47:00 AM »
And another one bites the dust. It’s a sign of the times I believe. $30,000 motorcycles are really tough to sell these days. Seems like the fast movers sell between eight and 15,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 07:58:01 AM »
John Bloor put up 100,000,000 English pounds (at the time about $160,000,000 US) to restart Triumph . Guessing Polaris put a similar amount into Indian . It's all fine and wonderful to dream big, but the "investors" probably tired of losing money . Kudos for the effort .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 07:58:01 AM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 09:07:11 AM »
A few months ago, I attended a local "Bikes & Breakfast" event. Also in attendance was a Motus. Not the first time I've seen one up close, but was the first time I've actually heard one start up and ride away. When the owner fired it up, I thought it sounded like it was going to blow up there was so much mechanical noise - like coffee can half full of ball bearings being shaken.  :shocked: The guys I was talking to said that was how they normally sound.  :sad: No way I'd spend my $$ on one if it they all sound like that.
Charlie

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 09:08:06 AM »
Yes, I saw that notice about Motus.  I hate to hear it.  Maybe they can get back on their feet.

The Motus is the most exhilarating motorcycle I ever ridden.

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 09:22:59 AM »
And another one bites the dust. It�s a sign of the times I believe. $30,000 motorcycles are really tough to sell these days. Seems like the fast movers sell between eight and 15,000.

I think the same, does anybody really need a $30,000 motorbike. My newest and last new bike an 03 bonny was just under 7 grand out the door. But I have never cared for 900lb. Barcaloungers. Motorbike industry is leveling off and doing ok. What is a big help is the used bike market segment is rolling along nicely.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 09:40:47 AM »
I think the same, does anybody really need a $30,000 motorbike. My newest and last new bike an 03 bonny was just under 7 grand out the door. But I have never cared for 900lb. Barcaloungers. Motorbike industry is leveling off and doing ok. What is a big help is the used bike market segment is rolling along nicely.

It's somewhat similar to the light aircraft market - so many good ones were built (to last) that there's a surplus of used bikes and they are tremendous value.  $5K buys a lot of nice bikes, and that's what a lot of people are buying.  The manufacturers have more recently learned to build bikes with planned obsolescence in mind, so once this glut is cleared out the buyer won't have the same choices or value.  Act now  :grin:

I test rode a Motus with great expectations and was disappointed.  It was crude and unrefined.  A bit of that is OK, I wasn't expecting or wanting a Honda, but it was too much for my taste.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:58:03 AM by Tusayan »

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 10:41:04 AM »
One of our members has a Motus and rode it to the KY Rally last year.  I was a bit surprised that a motorcycle that's touted as a long distance touring machine wasn't equipped with an electronic cruise control.  IMO, that accessory should be "Standard" on a bike that's expected to be ridden long distances.

It also had a chain drive which also seems out of character.  That alone would have been a show-stopper for me but maybe not others.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 11:55:08 AM »
So will the value of "used" Motus' soar or plummet?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:28:07 PM by oldbike54 »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »

Nobody "needs" a $7,000 motorbike, for that matter.  :violent1:   Who decides what a "need" is when it comes to bikes .... ?   :huh:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
Motus Corp, just took a dirt nap...
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 03:47:30 PM »
Disappointing to be sure, not a big surprise, but man it's sure looks hard to break in with a new bike these days.

Reason to be thankful they still make Moto Guzzi!!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 03:51:56 PM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Charlie

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 04:03:17 PM »
A friend on here just bought one a month ago, says it's a hoot!!
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Litre1000

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 05:54:59 PM »
$30K+ HDs and Hondas and BMWs sell.
They could have produced a cheaper model but would have still most likely failed 'cause they didn't have the infrastructure to support the machines like the others.

Modus was a engine company trying  to sell motos to promote the engine.

Bad business plan and way under capitalized. Done much differently it ,(maybe?) could have worked in a very limited way.

That engine was originally designed for aviation use but that project ran out of funding and it ended up in a moto. I've done business w/the folks that designed and produced the prototypes.

My .02c
:-)
Not in N. IL they don’t. My local HONDA dealer closed. The next closest dealer hasn’t stocked a gold wing in years! Nor have they stocked a one litre sport bike! The local Guzzi dealer can’t give them away!

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 09:49:27 PM »
One of our members has a Motus and rode it to the KY Rally last year.  I was a bit surprised that a motorcycle that's touted as a long distance touring machine wasn't equipped with an electronic cruise control.  IMO, that accessory should be "Standard" on a bike that's expected to be ridden long distances.

They all have electronic cruise control.  It is standard. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 10:48:23 PM »
My local Polaris Indian, Slingshot, Victory service center picked up Motus about a year ago. A Motus is a tough sell in that it seems to be a very small market with such an expensive motorcycle. I've never ridden one as I never cared to when they were offered. I thought it seemed like a Honda ST1300 that went into a Ducati performance shop and a Motus was the result. Yes, $25K to $30K+ H-D's sell fairly well, even in a small market like Chattanooga. But that's because they're H-D. Motus, not so much.

I certainly hope for the current owners and dealers that funding can be found to bring Motus back. But IMHO, they'll need a product with a much broader target audience to have a chance. With the same failed business plan, I don't see it happening. 

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 11:19:24 PM »
Guess I'm not surprised. As I understand it, 15 of the original 16 dealers dropped them.
That says a ton.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 12:55:41 AM »
That's very sad.  It's a hell of a nice bike.
I was seriously considering one for my next bike.

The noise was a mechanical damping system in the flywheel.
Nothing wrong with it; it just made that noise, so as to smooth out the power pulses from that 125 lb-ft of torque.
Kind of like the dry clutch on old Ducatis; sounds funny, but it's a feature, not a bug.

PhilB

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 04:22:21 AM »
They all have electronic cruise control.  It is standard.   

Thanks for picking me up Alan.  Guess I missed that feature when I looked it over.  Will check it out more closely if he rides it to this year's KY Rally.

Ride safe.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 05:37:03 AM »
That's very sad.  It's a hell of a nice bike.
I was seriously considering one for my next bike.

Nothing wrong with it; it just made that noise, so as to smooth out the power pulses from that 125 lb-ft of torque.
Kind of like the dry clutch on old Ducatis; sounds funny, but it's a feature, not a bug.

PhilB

The Ducati dry clutch rattle is not a feature, it's poor engineering   :grin:

Offline wyrtyr2

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 05:50:29 AM »
I looked and came close on a leftover '15.  Chain drive and no ABS chased me off.  Would love to own one--Less than $20K, A real dealer and shaft w/ ABS.   Sounds like my BMW RS, which I love

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2018, 07:26:42 AM »
Incredible bikes that are a blast to ride, loud, aggressive with lots of torque. Met Lee Conn when they had demo rides at the local dealer, very nice guy. We talked about his dad which I haven't seen in years.

Sad to read that this happened but maybe they can re-group with a bike in a lower price range. That engine is amazing, should be in a Guzzi.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2018, 09:12:47 AM »

PhilB

I don't care if it is "normal" or a "feature", I still wouldn't buy any motorcycle that sounded like that, much less spend $30k for it!
Charlie

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »
Thanks for picking me up Alan.  Guess I missed that feature when I looked it over.  Will check it out more closely if he rides it to this year's KY Rally.

Ride safe.

No matter how close you look, you won't find it.  The cruise is activated by pushing the starter button when your speed is over 40mph and there are no increase or decrease controls.  Push starter button again to disengage, or it disengages automatically with clutch or brake actuation.  There is absolutely no visible sign that the bike has cruise control.  There is a light on the dash to indicate that it is active, but you'll never see it by just looking at a bike sitting still.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:31:55 AM by davevv »
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline beardog

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2018, 07:25:24 PM »
Yes the cruse is not easy to find on the bike. I bought mine and got a five year warranty two years ago. Well I guess that is gone also.... oh well I still like the bike.
ride whenever you can
2003 stone� 
2008 1200 sport
2012 Yamaha super tenere
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
2020 v85 tt
2005 Yamaha fjr
2017 Motus mst
2008 ktm super duke

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2018, 09:47:41 PM »
These would be like our Guzzis but 100 times more aggregating to own, no offense intended to anyone owning one, just saying.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:26:38 PM by Ncdan »

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2018, 07:08:58 PM »
Yes the cruse is not easy to find on the bike. I bought mine and got a five year warranty two years ago. Well I guess that is gone also.... oh well I still like the bike.

Yes, I bought my 2014 Victory Vision in January of 2014.  Great touring bike, especially for two-up. 

Bought a 2-year extended warranty ($500) 2 weeks before Polaris announced the discontinuation of the model line.  They say parts and service good for this bike is still good for 10 years....but who knows?

"Moby Dick", aka "The Great White Whale" :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2018, 08:18:56 AM »
Dan:  I would not be concerned.  Since mechanically, the Indian and Victory are basically the same and since Polaris is a large, well funded entity, you should not have any problems.  Motus on the other hand, will not continue to be a going concern in any other motorcycle guise.  I expect that the parts that are out there are all that there are going to be.  Hopefully many of the maintenance parts are off the rack parts and filters you can get from the auto parts store.
Blue Guzz

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2018, 08:33:17 AM »
Dan:  I would not be concerned.  Since mechanically, the Indian and Victory are basically the same and since Polaris is a large, well funded entity, you should not have any problems.  Motus on the other hand, will not continue to be a going concern in any other motorcycle guise.  I expect that the parts that are out there are all that there are going to be.  Hopefully many of the maintenance parts are off the rack parts and filters you can get from the auto parts store.
Blu: I don't own a Victory just a guzzi but I agree that Victory owners are much better off with their  bikes and an out of business company, than us guzzi owners, are as far as accessories and readily available parts at times. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1400 tourer but it can be frustrating trying to get some much needed and desired add on's.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here