Author Topic: Magni Australia.. (UPDATED)  (Read 27602 times)

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Magni Australia..
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 04:07:42 AM »
What a beauty, ride it in good health John  ;-T

2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 08:28:04 AM »
Hi Muschi

I just had mine out on her first shake down run. I have a bevel box seal leak but apart from that it's all looking good so far.

I've never seen that bike, it's strange it looks like a Sfida frame but the tank, unit and fairing although close don't look quite right to me. Oh and these don't look like Forcelli Italia forks, its a nice nice bike all the same.

Here is U tube clip of a guy I stay in touch with and he's coming back to Scotland soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1udSSYsaLTg

The one he's talk's about getting restored is mine  ;D

All the best

John
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 08:29:51 AM by Old Jock »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 08:56:21 AM »
The Magni machines are great but I would prefer a street tuned MGS/01.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

JohninVT`

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
The Magni machines are great but I would prefer a street tuned MGS/01.

That's because you know better.  I don't ;D 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 07:43:50 PM »
Here is a stripped "street-fighter" MAGNI custom I saw back in May at Cruise Night. :)  It belongs to one of the local Phoenix Guzzisti. :) 8) ;-T

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

crc

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »
I like the look of the stripped down Sfida JJ. I believe 4 valve Sfidas were built in very limited numbers?

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2011, 07:36:19 AM »
I dunno why but these are my absolute favorite Guzzi.  If I had my choice between an Australia and a MGS-01, I'd take the Magni. 

I want both, just need to find the finances for an Australia! Well actually need a more sensible bike first, the most sensible thing in the shed is a carbed 1100 sport with FCR's and a quarter turn throttle :o .

michman82

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 07:51:49 AM »
I own a '97 Magni Oz (RS Daytona).  It came from the seller (2nd owner) with open air box, extended velocity stacks and carbon fiber exhausts.  However, it didn't run very well.  My friend (and restorer/master mechanic) who works on my bikes finally got around to trying to tune it and discovered, after trying every trick he knew, that it had the original ECU in it.  He contacted Giovanni Magni to find out if the engines were ever modified in the original Australia's -- they weren't.  So Giovanni suggested that he contact Raceco in the UK who used to race Guzzi's.  The guy at Raceco was extremely helpful and agreed to scrounge through his old stock to see if he had a spare racing ECU; luckily he had one left.  After installation of the new ECU and tuning, my friend reports that it is a "rocket ship", wanting to "wheelie" in 4th!  The bad news is the bike is in AZ and I am in PA for the summer.  But, it is coming to me with several others in a couple of weeks, I can't wait to test it for myself . . .

Hartwig

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2012, 02:26:16 PM »
Hello.
In case you have not sold the bike please send me a message hartwig1968@googlemail.com
HArtwig

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2014, 06:32:56 AM »
Hi chaps

Two years have passed since I first asked for info. on the Magni Australia, and I've only now got around to buying one!  Anyway, I began stripping it for refurbishment last week, and I found one or two items of interest beneath the bodywork (see photos).  It looks to have had a sump spacer fitted - is this a common mod. on the Daytona engine?  If so, why?  An oil cooler & temp. gauge have been added, too.  Does the stock bike have a problem with overheating?

Opening the ECU, I found what looks to be a chip from the Daytona 'C'-kit fitted.  As yet I've no idea what state of tune the engine's in, but I doubt the chip would have been fitted for use with an otherwise stock motor.  Would there be any point?  The bike does have the 'X' crossover pipes beneath the engine, and although it came to me wearing standard Guzzi silencers, a set of race cans are boxed and just waiting to go on there.  What should I be looking for to help me identify the engine's spec?  Will I have to open it to know for sure?

Cheers
Steve

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Magni Australia.. (UPDATED)
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2014, 10:50:47 AM »
Congratulations on the find / purchase. More :PICS!: please!   ;D
1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »
Magni bikes are parts bin bikes to some degree. The Magni bikes were precursors to Moto Guzzi productions units.  The spine frames were built by Magni and then by Moto Guzzi.  Magni is still in business.  I get a news letter from them about once a month.  I would believe that Magni has build records for your bike. 
Magni still owns the patent on the swing arm design that is used on both Moto Guzzi and BMW and some old Kawasakis.  While not exactly the same design, the concept is the same. 

I have the long version of the Magni swing arm on my bike.  It totally change the riding characteristics of my Tonti frame. 

Keep us posted on what you find.  There is very little here on WG about the bikes. 

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »
I think history was different Orange Guzzi.

To know what the engine tune is you would need to open it up a bit.

There were 3 kits for the daytona

Kit A
Termignoni complete exhaust system
Eprom
foam air intakes and aluminum intake extenders.

Bit B is kit A +
Carrillo rods
forged pistons

Kit C is kit B +
C kit Cams
fuel pressure regulator (4 bar)
C kit eprom.

TO see if it has carrillos get the oilpan off.
MAybe the pistons you can see too. I''m not shure if that is clear from bottom.
The cams might be visible when you take headcovers off. The c kit cam has A: C into it.

Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »
Congrats! Happy rides

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2014, 01:39:13 AM »
Congratulations on the find / purchase. More :PICS!: please!   ;D

Here's a pic. taken before the strip-down started:

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2014, 01:44:43 AM »
I think history was different Orange Guzzi.

To know what the engine tune is you would need to open it up a bit.

There were 3 kits for the daytona

Kit A
Termignoni complete exhaust system
Eprom
foam air intakes and aluminum intake extenders.

Bit B is kit A +
Carrillo rods
forged pistons

Kit C is kit B +
C kit Cams
fuel pressure regulator (4 bar)
C kit eprom.

TO see if it has carrillos get the oilpan off.
MAybe the pistons you can see too. I''m not shure if that is clear from bottom.
The cams might be visible when you take headcovers off. The c kit cam has A: C into it.

I took off the R/H cam cover yesterday, but the cams can't be seen from there: the rockers are all that's on view.  I'll be changing the oil & filter soon though, so will have a look from beneath.  Thanks for the info.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »
That is one sexy beast!  :drool
1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2015, 12:18:45 PM »
Hi chaps

Here's another quick update on my Magni:

She's been stripped, fettled, serviced and reassembled, and is now ready for MOT testing.  I've booked a slot for the test tomorrow at 1pm, and in order to get there I'll be riding her for the first time.  With luck I'll come back with a certificate, and I'll be ready then to apply for DVLA registration.  I hope to be fully road-legal within a week or two.  (..the registration plate you can see in the video is off another bike: I'm merely using it as a jig in order to drill the mounting holes accurately).

A quick couple of questions with regard to the deep sump:  How much extra oil capacity should I expect with this fitted?  I've put in four litres of oil with a filter change - does this sound about right?  Secondly, what should I expect the oil temp gauge to read when fully warmed?  It barely moves when I've run the engine in the yard!

Here's a closer look at the bike as she is now:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPLa7yaimvE

Steve    

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:23:13 PM by weevee »

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2015, 01:24:24 PM »
Stunning machine... enjoy and thanks for sharing.  ;-T
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »
A quick couple of questions with regard to the deep sump:  How much extra oil capacity should I expect with this fitted?  I've put in four litres of oil with a filter change - does this sound about right?

If the intention of fitting a sump extension to your engine is the same as my LM2, then the engine oil capacity should stay the same as original.
The main reasons, as far as I'm aware, for fitting one are to increase the internal air volume in the engine and hence decrease oil exiting via the breather, and to allow the crank to rotate clear of the oil sitting in the sump.

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2015, 05:27:21 PM »
If the intention of fitting a sump extension to your engine is the same as my LM2, then the engine oil capacity should stay the same as original.
The main reasons, as far as I'm aware, for fitting one are to increase the internal air volume in the engine and hence decrease oil exiting via the breather, and to allow the crank to rotate clear of the oil sitting in the sump.

That's interesting, Stevex.  This sump was fitted prior to my buying the bike, so I'm unsure as to exactly why it's on there.  However, it came with an oil-cooler and the associated piping on it too, so I'd expect a little extra oil to be needed.  I've put in approx. half a litre more than is recommended for the standard Daytona.  Anyone have a 4-valve with a deep sump extension?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here