Author Topic: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles  (Read 236220 times)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »
Dusty, I guess it should have been obvious to me, but It wasn't.  Interestingly, neither of the two friends I wrote about above ever bothered to get a motorcycle endorsement on their licenses.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

MarkIIITom

« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2013, 02:32:57 PM »
Oooh.  I got one!

Was riding bicycles with some buddies, and we stopped for coffee.  Redneck walks out of the coffee shop , ses our bicycles, and asks me "Why don't you get a Harley?"

My response:  "Don't need one, I have a real motorcycle."

cimbian

« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
I told my wife I was getting a bigger bike and she said I had to up my life insurance to ensure the kids would have an inheritance!  :wife:

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2013, 02:03:50 AM »
This is such a target rich thread!
When I worked for the Guzzi dealer:
Them: What kinda Hondas are these?
Patient Employee: Moto Guzzi
Them: Cool! I like Jap(anese) bikes.
Patient Employee: They are made in Italy.
Them: Where in Japan is Italy?

Have you forgotten the guy who insisted the Ducati 750 on the floor would sound better with "a fo-in-wun and philosophy stacks"?    ::)
1990 MilleGT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2013, 02:03:50 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »
Have you forgotten the guy who insisted the Ducati 750 on the floor would sound better with "a fo-in-wun and philosophy stacks"?    ::)
Ah, fo-in-wun , the little known Chinese philosopher , usually Kant remember him .
Dusty

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2013, 10:08:29 AM »
A new one..
I was picking up sandwiches on my scooter (a Stella), and as I was getting ready to head out, a drunk (I assume) was sitting in a car making remarks about how slow the thing was, and muttering snide remarks about the rider.

I had on my modular helmet, and I heard him say "You look like an idiot". I ignored him, and he said, louder, "YOU LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT!".

So I said-"You sound like one". Then I rode away. Probably should have ignored him altogether.

Red Dog

« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »
Him: "You like that motorcycle"?

Me: "No. hate the damn thing".

Him: "Why you riding it"?

Me: "Cause I don't have time to steal a different one".

oldbike54

« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »
Here is one most of us have heard , usually from a complete stranger , or an inebriated acquaintance , " Hey , can I ride it "?
Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2013, 03:58:07 PM »
Yeah, I've gotten that a few times when out on my H2.  That's one case when I'm not shy about just saying that I don't think that would be a good idea.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2013, 04:36:49 PM »
"Loud pipes are safer." I just roll my eyes at this one. It's like listening to people who have long, complex explanations why they are lousy tippers.

It's just a rationale for being a jerk (or another term, if you're a fan of the classic South Park episode "The F-Word.")

--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

tat2guy

« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2013, 05:44:10 PM »
...The ancient charge nurse in the Ortho Ward says:
"Do me a favor, next time you decide to ride a murdercycle (yep, she used that word) go
a hundred miles an hour."

"Why?"

"So you'll get killed, and I won't have to take care of you again!"

...a doctor....suggested riding without a helmet to make sure I killed myself in the next crash rather than end up with a broken body that he would have to treat.

And that's the problem with health care today... Lazy bums with no work ethic that don't wanna do their jobs!

tat2guy

« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »
This wasn't actually a *stupid* thing to say to me, but it was based on a wrong assumption that I was English....

I was in England once, 10 or 12 years ago now, and heading into a pub. Outside this pub were a dozen or so Harleys. Not a very common sight in England. So I'm looking at 'em- nothing crazy there, all no more than 10 years old, fairly stock, lots of chrome- when one of the owners comes out of the pub. He sees me lookin at the bikes and says, with a huge grin and puffed out chest, "bet you've never seen that many Yank bikes in one place before, 'ave ya?"

So I answer, completely truthfully, and in my very American accent, "actually I was just at the Harley Davidson final assembly plant in York, Pennsylvania, about 2 weeks ago... LOTTA Harleys there..."

"HOLY $---e, YOU'RE AMERICAN!" We went inside the pub, where he introduced me to the rest of the folks in his English Harley Owner's Group, and I was suddenly EVERYONE'S best friend... Didn't pay for a single beer. That was pretty cool.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2013, 06:28:35 PM »
This wasn't actually a *stupid* thing to say to me, but it was based on a wrong assumption that I was English....

I was in England once, 10 or 12 years ago now, and heading into a pub. Outside this pub were a dozen or so Harleys. Not a very common sight in England. So I'm looking at 'em- nothing crazy there, all no more than 10 years old, fairly stock, lots of chrome- when one of the owners comes out of the pub. He sees me lookin at the bikes and says, with a huge grin and puffed out chest, "bet you've never seen that many Yank bikes in one place before, 'ave ya?"

So I answer, completely truthfully, and in my very American accent, "actually I was just at the Harley Davidson final assembly plant in York, Pennsylvania, about 2 weeks ago... LOTTA Harleys there..."

"HOLY $---e, YOU'RE AMERICAN!" We went inside the pub, where he introduced me to the rest of the folks in his English Harley Owner's Group, and I was suddenly EVERYONE'S best friend... Didn't pay for a single beer. That was pretty cool.

We spent three weeks in England, and were treated royally. I love the English people.. ;-T My thought is they were more "civilized" than the average 'Merican..  ;)
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »
I was gonna wait until the 15th to refire this , got impatient , sorry . We have lots of new members who can contribute , and most have had a riding season to gather new stories , so have at it .
Dusty

KENF

« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2013, 06:44:04 PM »
Ok, try this one for size.  It is the late 70s and I was working at a large Honda dealership.  A young lad strolls in the door and in response to my "May I help you?"  he says "Yeah man I want to see one of those Dohacks.  Somewhat confused I said "A what?''  You know man a Dohack.  I saw one on the street yesterday.  I apologized for not knowing exactly what model he meant and then he says "You need to find another job man!  This one right here."  He then leans over to 750, points to the side cover, shakes his head and disgustedly crosses his arms.  By god, he was right.  On the burgundy sidecover in bold chrome script were the letters DOHC.  Whooda thunk?!!

oldbike54

« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Now we are going . Here is my most recent . Parked at store when a fella about my age walks up and says , "Well , I usta have a MC , got too old " . When I enquired as to his age he says " Hell boy , I'm 58 , too old for a MC " . Never told him I am older  ;D
Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #166 on: December 24, 2013, 07:46:22 PM »
Bump . Nothing on TV and too cold to ride , some of our new members might have a story , or some older members have had another season .
Dusty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #167 on: December 24, 2013, 07:54:04 PM »
I had a Gas Gas TXT280 trails bike in the truck one Sunday on the way to the woods and stopped for fuel.

Some HD riders pulled in and started looking the bike over and said "I bet that's one un-comfortable SOB to ride!"

ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #168 on: December 24, 2013, 08:54:07 PM »
2 air cond. techs were working on my AC last summer. 1 of them walked into my open garage to get into the house and saw my Triumph Sprint which was hooked to a Battery Tender. He looked at the bike then at me and said "is that one a them new 'lectric bikes? I was speechless.
V7C (gone to a good home),'04 Coppa Italia (Oh my!), OSSA Explorer Street Tracker,'17 KTM 690 Duke, Monster 900S,  KTM 790S Adventure, Speed Triple 1050S (yow!)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #169 on: December 24, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »
One day on my Tiger a guy told me he had the most badass speed 4 Triumph in the whole G-D state. needless to say, I was impressed. ;D
2 air cond. techs were working on my AC last summer. 1 of them walked into my open garage to get into the house and saw my Triumph Sprint which was hooked to a Battery Tender. He looked at the bike then at me and said "is that one a them new 'lectric bikes? I was speechless.

oldbike54

« Reply #170 on: December 24, 2013, 09:09:04 PM »
One day on my Tiger a guy told me he had the most badass speed 4 Triumph in the whole G-D state. needless to say, I was impressed. ;D
There actually was a speed 4 , I think . Seems like it was based on that 4 cylinder 600 cc sport bike built for a couple of years . Badass , well maybe
Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #171 on: December 24, 2013, 09:13:36 PM »
I learned something this evening then, Dusty.  98 hp and 375 lb (dry) is nothing to sneeze at.  I hadn't even heard of it before.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #172 on: December 24, 2013, 09:19:11 PM »
Pretty sure he was refering to the speed triple, mentioned nekkid bike
There actually was a speed 4 , I think . Seems like it was based on that 4 cylinder 600 cc sport bike built for a couple of years . Badass , well maybe
Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #173 on: December 24, 2013, 09:21:43 PM »
I learned something this evening then, Dusty.  98 hp and 375 lb (dry) is nothing to sneeze at.  I hadn't even heard of it before.
Yeah , fairly powerful , but it suffered the same fueling issues and wonkiness as the repli racer it was based on .
Still , w/o the 4 cylinder 600 being not so great , we would not have the 675 .
Dusty

Offline 1Sourdough

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #174 on: December 24, 2013, 11:17:28 PM »
Three or four years ago I pulled out of the church parking lot behind an elderly couple, the wife driving.  The roadway was a four lane turned into one wide lane each way with a left turn only lane between, express purpose of slowing traffic below the 45 mph limit.  It works well during the week.  On Sundays the traffic is very light until noon or so.

It was a nice day and I was perhaps five or six seconds behind the couple I was following, weaving, dodging the tar snakes.  Not trying to agitate them, just enjoying the freedom to weave back and forth.  Turned out they were headed to the same sandwich shop where I was, and when we got there the woman began to quote page and paragraph, telling me how naughty I was to be causing her such terrible distraction while she was driving!  I was stunned, and all I could come up with was to ask why she was watching someone way behind her rather than looking forward?  She replied that my headlight flashed in her mirror every time I turned, and it frightened her to think I had fallen.

She never really got over it, either.
1993 Strada 1000, 1996 R1100RT, 1999 V11 EV
                            -30-

Offline jabberwocky

• Gosling
« Reply #175 on: December 25, 2013, 08:33:10 AM »
^I wouldn't have said anything to you about it like she did, but I find it pretty annoying when riders weave like you're talking about. I'll occasionally do it when approaching an intersection and I feel like I'm not being seen, but just doing it to entertain yourself is sure to annoy others and propagate the general public's dislike for bikers. How would you feel if I followed you in my car swerving back and forth within my lane? You'd think I was crazy, erratic and a danger to others. It's really not any different.

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #176 on: December 25, 2013, 10:39:24 AM »
Never say to a do-raged Harley rider, "Nice scooter you got there". I almost got my ass kicked for saying that, out side of a bar in Phoenix, by the fellow while he explained to me in very graphic terms that it was a motorcycle not a scooter! Even though I was standing next to my R90s, so he could see I was a rider not a wannabe. Gee those fellows just don't know how to take a compliment.
You hit them in the ci department.  Fightin words.  (My son's name is Leander, what's Leander TX like?)
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

oldbike54

« Reply #177 on: December 25, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »
You hit them in the ci department.  Fightin words.  (My son's name is Leander, what's Leander TX like?)
So does one go for a putt on their scooter , or a scoot on their putter !
Dusty

biking sailor

« Reply #178 on: December 25, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »
Years ago, naked HD cruisers were referred to as "scooters" and faired touring HD cruisers as "sleds", at least around the OKC biker scene.

Don't want to know what the Metric bikes, which I was riding at the time, were called!   ;D

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #179 on: December 25, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »
Years ago, naked HD cruisers were referred to as "scooters" and faired touring HD cruisers as "sleds", at least around the OKC biker scene.

Don't want to know what the Metric bikes, which I was riding at the time, were called!   ;D

Uhhhh Darren, I think that would be "Rice Burrner" :D

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here