Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: V7 Crank Failure. Engine Replacement Options?
« Last post by Muzz on Today at 01:39:24 AM »
Is this the model where they were sent out with only half the complement of thrust bearings fitted?
General Discussion / Re: rethread broken brake nipple?
« Last post by redrider90 on June 27, 2022, 10:16:48 PM »
I love these little bleeder repair kits , come in various sizes and have a brass NPT seat so no worries about destroying the seat when drilling,  You could probably find a core bit that would drill right around that hardened mess in the center.

The one photo you posted is not for a 6mm nipple. It's a great design.  I will look and see if I can find one smaller. I am not sure there is enough room to drill out for even a smaller diameter NPT. Even as I think of going to an 8mm I am concerned about how much material I have available without weakening the caliper in that area. That is maybe why they used a 6mm:
« Last post by redrider90 on June 27, 2022, 09:38:41 PM »

Next time you have a stuck nipple in a brake caliper put the caliper in a vice, place a box end wrench of the correct size over the nipple, take a brass hammer and slowly and without too much force tap down on the top of the nipple, over and over while applying slight pressure to the wrench, eventually the nipple will come out but the nipple will be junk by the time you are done.

This sounds like I wish I had thought about that when I had the caliper in the vise slowly working it with a box small wrench but I still ended up breaking it off. I have tapped on stuck bolts while applying torque to bolts that are tight but didn't think of trying it on a nipple.  I would gladly have trashed the nipple and bought a new one if I had this idea at that time. I did manage to reinstall the caliper and bleed the air out of the caliper and brake line by slowly taping the caliper with a rubber mallet while I slowly repeatedly  pulling on the brake handle. It took a bit to slowly get the air out but it worked. But I really need to fix it.
« Last post by redrider90 on June 27, 2022, 09:26:19 PM »
Left hand drill bit?
Or new caliper from MGcycle go for about $150.

The 2 versions of F09 that MC Cycle carries will not fit the right side behind the axle caliper on my Mille. At least that is how they advertise it.
General Discussion / Re: V7 Crank Failure. Engine Replacement Options?
« Last post by LowRyter on June 27, 2022, 08:29:44 PM »
this is unacceptable under any circumstances (unless it was run out of oil).

I thought the small blocks were robust, under stressed.  No?
General Discussion / Re: NGC Electrical help needed
« Last post by Don G on June 27, 2022, 07:43:38 PM »
I wonder if a brake switch from an early 70s snowmobile would be similar? DonG
General Discussion / Re: Mandello stuff
« Last post by Huzo on June 27, 2022, 07:42:05 PM »
You will be easy to spot! A fellow from my town is going as well, he is renting a Guzzi from the same dealer in Rome and will be traveling with me for at least part of the trip. I met a couple riding rental bikes out of Barcelona, will be looking to meet up with them as well in Mandello.
I am heading to Alaska on July 24th for a couple weeks, then get back to recharge for a couple weeks before Italy on September 2nd.
Really looking forward to meeting up over a glass of fine Italian red wine

Cheers

Jim
Yes Jim.
You may have seen that I cannot now arrive until the 8 th.
The guy Iím meeting in Paris cannot get away until then, but we will waste no time in getting there.
If it isn't much play just put in new stuff. Parts are cheap. Block comes apart in pieces, like an Asian motor.
Not a bad job, I'd charge a grand. But that's me, I done my share of smallbock blocks.
I would press the warranty issue if he found the part that fell out on assembly.

It had nearly 1/4" end float. The flywheel was grinding away at the engine case it was so bad. Mark already has it apart, along with another one or two that he bought with the same issue.

Moot point anyway since Mark's customer doesn't want to fix it now.
General Discussion / Re: Official California 1100 picture thread
« Last post by Ncdan on June 27, 2022, 07:10:38 PM »

02 Stone, dressed out in Givi luggage.
General Discussion / Re: 1973 V7 Sport Cylinder Relining Millenium
« Last post by Canuck750 on June 27, 2022, 06:57:28 PM »
I have many years experience in the area of automotive repair, especially in engine rebuilding. If this was my engine I would start out by pulling it completely apart and assessing the total condition of all the components. At the moment you are focusing on only one area that needs attention, sure the cylinders need to be repaired, but how about everything else? You are starting in the middle and that is a mistake, take the engine out and strip it down, you may find that it needs everything or if you are lucky, very little. In any event you should pull the crank and clean the sludge trap, while there measure the journal dimensions etc., inspect the oil pump as well as the cam and followers and be prepared to spend some cash.   DonG

Don is 100% on this advice,

just replacing the cylinders / pistons does not solve the problem(s). If the crank journals, main or shell bearings and/or the oil pump are worn the cylinder replacement will not forestall a failure.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Harper's Moto Guzzi : Go Ride , Break Parts, Call me!
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here