Author Topic: Considering getting a Bilt modular helmet  (Read 20189 times)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Considering getting a Bilt modular helmet
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:18:20 PM »
I'd like some feedback from owners of what they like about them but have never seen a write up on their +s, -s from owners.  I know some Guzzisti use them.  Therefore I'd like some feedback about them besides what shape head they fit.  I don't live near a Cycle Gear store, but will be able to check them out on my next bike trip coming up Wednesday.  Up to now I've worn Nolan mod. helmets.  Please advise.   :)                    

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Considering getting a Bilt modular helmet
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:08:23 AM »
I've been riding my Bilt modular helmet for @ 2yrs now.  Previous was a Nolan.  I liked the Nolan, and I like the Bilt.
I am not so sophisticated to articulate the nuances of the Bilt.  It is a price point product, but I like it.
The face shield is an easy on, easy off affair.
I will probably replace it with another Bilt.
It works for me.

kjf
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:09:18 AM by ken farr »
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

oceanluvr

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 05:34:55 AM »
I ride with a Nolan Trilogy and love the versatility.

REVIEW SNAPSHOT by PowerReviews of the BILT Modular Helmet
(based on 155 reviews)
93% of respondents would recommend this to a friend.
PROS
Comfortable padding (68)
Good visibility (65)
Adequate ventilation (62)
Fits snug (62)
Lightweight (44)
CONS
Noisy (34)
Prone to fogging (28)
Heavy (13)
Poor ventilation (9)
Poor visibility (3)
BEST USES
Everyday rides (80)
Protection (47)
Poor weather (25)
Passenger (15)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:36:41 AM by oceanluvr »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 07:45:52 AM »
I'd like to try a Bilt, if only on price, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to trust a $50 helmet - and a lot of Bilt gear feels like it is "built" to the price.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 07:45:52 AM »

Offline Darell

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:12:33 AM »
Same here.  Just replaced a Shoei faceshield, $45 is ridiculous for that little piece of plastic.  There surely is a point where there is a good product at a fair price.  I've considered the Bilt helmet and wondered if that is the point.  But then I think about my head on the pavement.  So I too am interested in any real-world experience with the Bilt.  I appreciate the review summaries posted by oceanluvr.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 08:13:52 AM »
I was literally looking at one last night - in response to some of the helmets I saw in the Open Face helmet thread.

On the Cycle Gear website a lot of the reviews talked about how cheap the sun-visor was and how it scratched just from raising and lowering it.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

redrider

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:26:31 AM »
I bought the "Jet" style to use on the range. (We wear our lids for an hour or so at a stretch while walking and talking in the C2 position). Nice enough for the task but the lining is scratchy even in cooler weather. Bell has been the best for me since the 70's. Shields are the easiest to change of any and I have used Fulmer, Shoei and AGV as well.

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 08:37:50 AM »
The old, "How much is your head worth?" question.  My general rule of thumb, with most any product, is never go cheapest, rarely go highest.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline guzziknight

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't tryst them. I don't have an issue with inexpensive helmets, as long as they come from a reputable company. I've bought other Bilt products: boots, gloves and jackets, and they haven't held up well. Boots basically fell apart in less than 1 season. Not sure I'd trust my head to their helmets.
Blue Knights Georgia VII
Iron Butt Association #18342
Moto Guzzi National Owners Club #L-773

Four Wheels Move the Body. Two Wheels Move the Soul.

Calling an Illegal Alien an "Undocumented Immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "Unlicensed Pharmacist."

Atlanta, GA

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 09:54:26 AM »
  My general rule of thumb, with most any product, is never go cheapest, rarely go highest.

That's a good rule of thumb!   ;-T
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Baloches

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »
I have a Shark EvoLine series 2, I like the chinbar swinging all the way back, and the fact that it won't twist your neck if you go down with the chinbar open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
Bilt offers value.  I picked up a Pilot helmet for summer riding.  Since it was $60, nice to have a spare. I could say the same about HJC and other bargain brands.  It does seem like the Bilt products are among the best value/lowest cost.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
I have a Shark EvoLine series 2, I like the chinbar swinging all the way back, and the fact that it won't twist your neck if you go down with the chinbar open

Cool helmet!

I tend towards having an oval head and wear an XL. 

Can you offer up some insight on how it fits?
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

biking sailor

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 03:33:22 PM »
I bought a Bilt modular with the internal flip down shade.

Won't be buying another one as it was noisy, loosened up very quickly, and the optics of the shield and shade bothered me.  Nothing really broke on it but I only wore it for a month or so.  YMMV as I am a bit of a helmet-ophile.  Got at least a dozen on the shelf that are lightly used.  Other modulars (4 or 5 from different brands) that I have seem to catch too much wind when I turn my head at speed.

Currently got a Joe Rocket (made by HJC) std FF from Motorcyclegear.com that was on closeout.  Worn it for two seasons and bought another just like it for when it wears out.  Small, light and simple seem to be the best for me.

Darren

barenekd

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 05:49:06 PM »
I had a Bilt. It was noisy, but the worst thing I found about it as that it got up against the exhaust pipe whilst hanging on the handlebar and the pipe actually melted a hole through it. I'll definitely pass on any more Bilts!
Bare

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 06:00:02 PM »
The old, "How much is your head worth?" question.  My general rule of thumb, with most any product, is never go cheapest, rarely go highest.

Some of the reviews of helmets I've read conclude that a higher priced helmet doesn't necessarily mean better protection. What you get for more money, according to those tests, is a more comfortable, lighter, better finished helmet. But not necessarily a safer one. There also has been some dispute over the meaningfulness of safety standards.

Rich A

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Re: Considering getting a Bilt modular helmet
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 06:09:10 PM »
Some of the reviews of helmets I've read conclude that a higher priced helmet doesn't necessarily mean better protection. What you get for more money, according to those tests, is a more comfortable, lighter, better finished helmet. But not necessarily a safer one. There also has been some dispute over the meaningfulness of safety standards.

Rich A

Agreed that is what some articles have concluded.

But "lighter" is an interesting point, no?

Do any helmet tests/certifications attempt to quantify the potential effect on safety the weight of the helmet has?

I would think lighter is potentially safer.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »
Some of the reviews of helmets I've read conclude that a higher priced helmet doesn't necessarily mean better protection.
Rich A

For sure.  But I've sold enough and purchased enough helmets to know that the cheapest ones simply are not made of the stuff I trust for my head.  The subtle and not so subtle difference between plastic fasteners and metal fasteners, or just between different plastics for that matter, not to mention overall comfort, noise levels, etc, etc.  There is a ton of quality to be found between the cheapest of the cheap and the priciest options, and that's where I tend to spend my money.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 08:20:48 PM »
I'd love to find a $50 - $100 - $200 helmet that fits my head like an Arai. Wish Arai would make a modular.  The Schuberth almost accommodates my long oval head [but the cost!]  I'll keep looking for a bargain out there but there must be a reason I keep my old Signet, Signet GT and Profile on the shelf for spares.
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Baloches

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 08:24:17 PM »
Cool helmet!

I tend towards having an oval head and wear an XL. 

Can you offer up some insight on how it fits?

I fit the arai signet and corsair perfectly, this has a bit of forehead pressure, similar to what a shoei RF1000 felt for me.
 I worked the foam with  me fingers and that helped. I feel it lacks ventilation when closed, and wearing sunglasses can be a pain depending on the design, but the built in sunshade takes care of the sun anyway

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »
As far as helmet weight..........of course a modular helmet weighs more than a conventional full face helmet.   It has more parts in it and the same goes for it being noisier(w/o ear plugs), it has more openings(cracks) in it.

A minus of light helmets is it can cause your head to bounce around more in turbulent wind.  So that and what speeds you ride at can  make all this subject variable.  I don't ride behind a barn door windshield so these complaints I don't find important in my use of a full coverage helmet.  I have a half helmet but only use it for short trips to/thru town.  

As stated earlier, the price of your helmet has nothing to do with the protection you get when it really counts.  If all the helmets are DOT approved, that's as far as your protection goes in an accident.  Yes, more expensive helmets can be more comfortable/convenient to use for protection.  But that's as far as accident protection goes comparing the different priced helmets.  The more demanding you are the more your desired helmet is going to cost.  ;)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 08:05:25 AM »
As far as helmet weight..........of course a modular helmet weighs more than a conventional full face helmet.   It has more parts in it and the same goes for it being noisier(w/o ear plugs), it has more openings(cracks) in it.

A minus of light helmets is it can cause your head to bounce around more in turbulent wind.  So that and what speeds you ride at can  make all this subject variable.  I don't ride behind a barn door windshield so these complaints I don't find important in my use of a full coverage helmet.  I have a half helmet but only use it for short trips to/thru town.  

As stated earlier, the price of your helmet has nothing to do with the protection you get when it really counts.  If all the helmets are DOT approved, that's as far as your protection goes in an accident.  Yes, more expensive helmets can be more comfortable/convenient to use for protection.  But that's as far as accident protection goes comparing the different priced helmets.  The more demanding you are the more your desired helmet is going to cost.  ;)

I think you completely missed my question.

It's been a while since I read anything about helmet test standards, but I seem to remember they are about dropping a weight onto the helmet to see how it absorbs the impact.

If that's all they do, then it doesn't sound like they've looked at what effect the weight (and shape) of the helmet might have on neck injuries or other possible negative effects in an accident.

IF that's the case, then some of those magazine studies that suggested cheaper might be "just as safe" may have missed something that might make some of them "less so". Just a thought.

Also I'm not sure I buy that a heavier helmet helps to keep your head from bouncing around in turbulent winds (or even if true that unless you have a particularly bad windshield/fairing/screen/riding position that you should HAVE to deal with "turbulent" winds all the time.

I would think that helmet shape would have a huge impact on comfort in those conditions either way.

This thread has really got me thinking of upgrading helmets again - Jenn really needs a decent replacement for her old and heavy HJC FF - I think we're gonna look at some Arai's - but maybe also some other brands if they can match or come close in comfort.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

redrider

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 09:01:25 AM »
www.sharp.direct.go v.uk has comparative tests for helmets. Model names are Euro but the data is interesting. Price may not indicate protective ability but we knew that, right?

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 10:53:31 PM »
I think you completely missed my question.

It's been a while since I read anything about helmet test standards, but I seem to remember they are about dropping a weight onto the helmet to see how it absorbs the impact.

If that's all they do, then it doesn't sound like they've looked at what effect the weight (and shape) of the helmet might have on neck injuries or other possible negative effects in an accident.

IF that's the case, then some of those magazine studies that suggested cheaper might be "just as safe" may have missed something that might make some of them "less so". Just a thought.

Also I'm not sure I buy that a heavier helmet helps to keep your head from bouncing around in turbulent winds (or even if true that unless you have a particularly bad windshield/fairing/screen/riding position that you should HAVE to deal with "turbulent" winds all the time.

I would think that helmet shape would have a huge impact on comfort in those conditions either way.

This thread has really got me thinking of upgrading helmets again - Jenn really needs a decent replacement for her old and heavy HJC FF - I think we're gonna look at some Arai's - but maybe also some other brands if they can match or come close in comfort.

I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you. I've ridden(50) more years than you on more bikes than you and have crash tested more bike helmets than you.  :-*  You live life as you wish I am too.

I finally got to a Cycle Gear shop and saw the Bilt modular helmets they sell I tried on 2 of their models and have decided to order the newest version.   I didn't find it overweight and was impressed with the quality.  Only time will tell if I stay satisfied.  They have a 5 year warranty so will take my chances.   Since I was out of State they said there was no problem ordering it to be delivered to my house.  The employees were more than accommodating.  ;-T

Offline Damnyankee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 03:30:29 AM »
I own a Bilt modular. It's okay for around town use but I wouldn't use it on a long trip cause it's noisy at highway speeds. It also runs a bit big. I bought the small and it is a tad too large but for the price I'm not complaining. I used my HJC on the Italy trip instead of packing the Bilt which took up more room in my luggage, it's a big mutha'.

Going back to Italy this month for another month, renting a car this time. Gathering paperwork for citizenship and looking at rental property to see what's available for us to rent till we find the house we like  :)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Re: Considering getting a Bilt modular helmet
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 06:28:31 AM »

I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you. I've ridden(50) more years than you on more bikes than you and have crash tested more bike helmets than you.  :-*  You live life as you wish I am too.

Wow, what was that for?

Not a pissing match, just posing some thoughts that weren't addressed by your position on the subject and that also seem not to be addressed by helmet crash studies.

No need to take a quest for knowledge personally, I certainly didn't mean any offense or insult by the innocent discussion.

Perhaps more fiber in your diet will help. ;)  :P  :BEER:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:36:07 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 07:22:18 AM »
 I tried on the Expoler helmet (bought a XT350 so I have to look the part ;D) and looking through the face shield ,it was so distorted I couldn't wear it riding I would have a headache in 10 minutes, other then that for a $100 on sale (seems it's always on sale) it looked okay, I wouldn't pay more then that though.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 04:24:38 PM »
While trying on/looking @ the Bilt mod. helmets I bought a pair of Bilt waterproof/insulated gloves w/gauntlet for $20 that ARE waterproof !!!   ;-T  :BEER:

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »
Competition Accessories is having a sale on Shoei Multitec modulars right at $300.  You can't go wrong at that price.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 05:26:39 PM »
If I wanted to spend $300 for a new helmet I'd just go head and buy another Nolan mod. helmet.  I used to have $50 head.  ;)  My head is worth $200 max, IMHO.  :BEER:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here