Author Topic: I've had it. Seriously considering throwing in the towel.  (Read 19789 times)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I've had it. Seriously considering throwing in the towel.
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 09:35:17 PM »
. Sadly, the fuel line blowing off in the tank only took about 7 years for the factory to find out it needed fixed.  :embarassed:

I have never had any fuel hose issues yet and believe those that do can blame EPA in the USA as they require different fuel blends(49) in different parts of the USA depending what time of year it is.  :rolleyes:  to keep our air cleaner.  I figure in some parts of the USA they're using a fuel blend that MG is not familiar with and thusly some bike's fuel hoses have a chemical reaction to the MG fuel hoses.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:43:27 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 09:39:27 PM »
Seems the black helicopters caught up with him.

canuguzzi

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 09:47:12 PM »
There is no doing it themselves if the owner doesn't want to or else what MG needs to do is make sure they market to only those who want to fix the bikes themselves.

Many of the problems are realized because the bikes leave the factory in a  state of being put together in a less than acceptable way and I'm sorry but the purchaser should not be the one doing diddly squat to make it run correctly. We can say that this is the current state of affairs but there is a reason for that, in part because it's acceptable to fix the small things yourself and not say much about it.

It might be a simple O-ring. Then by golly, the customer is entitled to have it fixed right the first time, on time and not have to think about it for longer than it takes to sign the work order.

HardAspie

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:04 PM »
There is a world wide epidemic of "I don't give a damnitis'.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:04 PM »

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 10:35:29 PM »
You're hard on those clutches.  :boozing:
Wayne, I can understand why you think that but, my LeMans powered sidecar rig has 47000 miles on the original clutch. I don't baby that bike!
Joe Walano

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 06:24:28 AM »
For me the hardest part of running a service department (Kaw/Suz) was finding and keeping decent mechanics. Most of them I had to deal with wouldn't make a pimple on an aircraft mechanics ass. Then there is the time component where they try to beat flat rate so it's fast,sloppy work. Took a lot of supervision which I didn't have time to do. I was happy to get back to aviation. I feel your frustration, Bob and I wonder if you are dealing with some good guys and some idiots and it's impossible to tell them apart.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

bpreynolds

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 06:26:35 AM »
Carolina Bob, the answer here is quite simple.  You need to find a new dealer with a good mechanic and helpful staff.  Part of Guzzi ownership is sadly understanding that, in fact, the very dealer where you purchased the bike - the same place you'd expect to get the best treatment - may in truth be lousy.  I have many backstories of my own on this topic and I understand your pain.  For years I took my Guzzis 4 hours out of the way just to get serviced properly rather than the local dealer who in 4 months of promises couldn't get me one single part and then later refused to do warranty work (they are now out of business and have been for some years).  Later, when I purchased my then new Stelvio in 2014, I wouldn't let the dealer I got it from near it and for good reason, taking it instead to good ol' Cwiseman and the folks at C and D in Robinson, IL.  Yeah, I know.  It's a pain.  Welcome to Moto Guzzi.

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 06:43:05 AM »
I wouldn't give up on the bike.  I would take it to Guzzi Steve or Ian at Riders Hill (both in GA).  Guzzi Steve is now working part time for the Atlanta dealer but works on bikes out of his home when he's not there so he has access to parts.  Both Steve and Ian have worked on bikes that I've owned and they do quality work and don't cut corners to get it done too quickly.  You've given your present dealer enough opportunities to sort out this bike so do yourself a favor and switch mechanics.  Once the bike is sorted, you'll be a total convert to Moto Guzzi.  Good luck
NO longer can ride

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 06:54:56 AM »
Would someone please elaborate on the supposed cause of this oil leak?  Breathers? A part number or fiche reference would be nice.

I have no problems of this sort but a Good Friend with a '12 Norge has put his in the dealer shop more than once for an oil leak on the left side.  The dealer shop is apparently having trouble making a reliable fix. This is all based on the accounts of The Friend.

This friend is now seriously on track to sell the Norge and go elsewhere.  He is very non-mechanical.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:56:34 AM by leafman60 »

Offline bobbyfromnc

• Gosling
    • Bobby Writes
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 08:08:55 AM »
Carolina Bob, the answer here is quite simple.  You need to find a new dealer with a good mechanic and helpful staff.  Part of Guzzi ownership is sadly understanding that, in fact, the very dealer where you purchased the bike - the same place you'd expect to get the best treatment - may in truth be lousy.  I have many backstories of my own on this topic and I understand your pain.  For years I took my Guzzis 4 hours out of the way just to get serviced properly rather than the local dealer who in 4 months of promises couldn't get me one single part and then later refused to do warranty work (they are now out of business and have been for some years).  Later, when I purchased my then new Stelvio in 2014, I wouldn't let the dealer I got it from near it and for good reason, taking it instead to good ol' Cwiseman and the folks at C and D in Robinson, IL.  Yeah, I know.  It's a pain.  Welcome to Moto Guzzi.

Yes Sir you are correct, I have been more than patient because I knew They are the only ones around (200 mile round trip) I am so frustrated I am seriously considering getting out this purchase, not because of the brand mind you, but gosh this should have been a simple thing to figure out. It's not like a crank shaft is shoved out the side of the motor. I just can't honestly say I trust them in the future even if they get it right. Lets just say I have a very bad opinion of things now. That's sad because I like the brand.

Offline bobbyfromnc

• Gosling
    • Bobby Writes
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 08:10:25 AM »
I wouldn't give up on the bike.  I would take it to Guzzi Steve or Ian at Riders Hill (both in GA).  Guzzi Steve is now working part time for the Atlanta dealer but works on bikes out of his home when he's not there so he has access to parts.  Both Steve and Ian have worked on bikes that I've owned and they do quality work and don't cut corners to get it done too quickly.  You've given your present dealer enough opportunities to sort out this bike so do yourself a favor and switch mechanics.  Once the bike is sorted, you'll be a total convert to Moto Guzzi.  Good luck

I will consider this.

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 08:19:48 AM »
I would consider getting your paperwork and notes in order with details of dates, what they told you,etc...mention 'lemon law' and see what kind of response you get. Make sure you cc the contact I PMed you if you go that route...you may not want to get rid of the bike, but a dealer ~really~ doesn't want to buy it back.

NC lemon law basics:
The problem occurs in some part of the vehicle that is covered by the manufacturer's warranty and you are within the warranty period. It does not need to be something that keeps you from being able to drive the car. For example, faulty air conditioning or peeling paint could be considered defects under the Lemon Law.
You tell the manufacturer about the problem in writing and give them a reasonable period, but not more than 15 days, to fix it. 
The manufacturer makes a reasonable number of attempts to fix the vehicle. This means that the car has been repaired for the same problem four or more times, or that it has been out of service a cumulative total of 20 or more business days during a 12 month period of the warranty. 
The manufacturers efforts to fix the vehicle fail. Under the law, they must either replace your car or buy it back. You get to decide between a comparable new car and a refund.

I get the whole 'just fix it yourself'. It's sound advice, but could cause the dealer to not back up a warranty claim if you mucked it up yourself (or there is a bigger problem). The guy bought a $15,000 bike and would like to be treated like he bought a $15,000 bike. Sometimes you have to play hardball or go around the dealer to get results (like I did).

My Stelvio suspension recall was waiting for parts for months. I went to the NTSA site, found the Piaggio paperwork, contacted the gentleman on the paperwork explaining my situation. He called the dealer and my bike was fixed 1-2 weeks later. I gave that contact info to the OP.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:26:22 AM by kirb »

Offline bobbyfromnc

• Gosling
    • Bobby Writes
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 08:22:53 AM »
I would consider getting your paperwork and notes in order with details of dates, what they told you,etc...mention 'lemon law' and see what kind of response you get. Make sure you cc the contact I PMed you if you go that route...

NC lemon law basics:
The problem occurs in some part of the vehicle that is covered by the manufacturer's warranty and you are within the warranty period. It does not need to be something that keeps you from being able to drive the car. For example, faulty air conditioning or peeling paint could be considered defects under the Lemon Law.
You tell the manufacturer about the problem in writing and give them a reasonable period, but not more than 15 days, to fix it. 
The manufacturer makes �a reasonable number of attempts� to fix the vehicle. This means that the car has been repaired for the same problem four or more times, or that it has been out of service a cumulative total of 20 or more business days during a 12 month period of the warranty. 
The manufacturers� efforts to fix the vehicle fail. Under the law, they must either replace your car or buy it back. You get to decide between a comparable new car and a refund.

Thanks for taking the time for this info.

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 08:27:46 AM »
Thanks for taking the time for this info.

NP...I made some changes after you quoted my message.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 08:37:54 AM »
Having been to the shop in question I think it's a good shop and is an asset to the Guzzi community.  The service department is just new to the Guzzi scene.

Had he bought the bike from Carl (Union Cycle) when it showed up leaking he wouldn't have thought anything about pulling out one of his hammers and "fixing" the problem.  Even under warranty because he would have known that waiting on Guzzi for parts could cost him a customer.  These guys instead are learning a hard lesson by trying to identify the faulty part, looking up the proper part number, placing an order, and expecting the part to show up on Tuesday.  Sometimes that even happens, it's a lot better than before, but to count on it?

I had a dealer who sells Triumph and Guzzi tell me that the Triumphs never come back under warranty but his shop was full of them out of warranty.  The Guzzis on the other hand came in all the time for the first 5k then he never saw them again.  That's The Problem! 
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2015, 10:14:47 AM »
When I bought my Stelvio it was missing the relay to the charging system.  Or something like that.  My battery went dead 50 miles from home.

The shop, Empire Cycle in Spokane, found the problem and sourced a relay locally.

That's how it should be done.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

bpreynolds

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2015, 10:16:59 AM »

I had a dealer who sells Triumph and Guzzi tell me that the Triumphs never come back under warranty but his shop was full of them out of warranty.  The Guzzis on the other hand came in all the time for the first 5k then he never saw them again.  That's The Problem!

:1: So true on so many levels with regarding new Guzzis.  The basically new Stone Touring - my first Guzzi ever - required 2 recalls and a clutch replacement.  First year of ownership spent six months in the shop; yet, once finished the bike was bulletproof.  It's cliche to say bikes need sorting but among all the brands I've owned, this has been most common with the Geese, MG's most reliable for me personally after that sorting. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:18:12 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2015, 10:27:30 AM »
When I bought my Stelvio it was missing the relay to the charging system.  Or something like that.  My battery went dead 50 miles from home.

The shop, Empire Cycle in Spokane, found the problem and sourced a relay locally.

That's how it should be done.

Yes, that is how it should be done.

A local Norge rider lost the bolts (2-socket head 12X35's) to his kickstand and instead of getting them locally they were ordered from Piaggio which took a week.  Total head scratcher.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2015, 01:41:23 PM »
I'd like a local source for 12x35 bolts.  I need some to replace the long bolts holding the lower crash bar to the frame.  It looks like they'll be a special order from someplace.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »
A local Norge rider lost the bolts (2-socket head 12X35's) to his kickstand and instead of getting them locally they were ordered from Piaggio which took a week.  Total head scratcher.

Yes, that is odd that they could actually get parts in one week.

:boozing:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2015, 02:03:42 PM »
I'd like a local source for 12x35 bolts.  I need some to replace the long bolts holding the lower crash bar to the frame.  It looks like they'll be a special order from someplace.
I've got 12mm socket head bolts in stock 30, 35, 60mm all are fine thread, white zinc and 12.9 hardness. The run 2.50 ea for the 30 and 35 and 3.50 for the 60mm.
Joe Walano

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2015, 06:43:50 PM »
Wayne, I can understand why you think that but, my LeMans powered sidecar rig has 47000 miles on the original clutch. I don't baby that bike!

Didn't they suggest you didn't know how to shift a guzzi?
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2015, 07:27:35 PM »
A friend here in Vancouver bought a brand new Stelvio, straight out of the crate it used 7 liters of oil in 1,000 km, it took the dealer 2 months to get a new cylinder head (leaky valve guide), he tried many times to get in touch with MG USA (Piagio) but they never had the courtesy to return a message.
When the head finally arrived they replaced it and did the first service. On the way home he smelt something stopped and found the back wheel saturated with oil from the CARC.

He is not a happy camper.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2015, 07:36:55 PM »
Didn't they suggest you didn't know how to shift a guzzi?
Yes they did, the president of Guzzi NA was there, it's a long story why, and he said to me "It appears as though you were shifting into 3rd gear without using the clutch." I asked why would I pick on just 3rd gear? Anyway, they fixed in, had to airfreight a trans from Italy. I'll tell you the story about that dealer some time.
Joe Walano

canuguzzi

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2015, 07:45:22 PM »
I don't get it, people will have a bike, new, under warranty in service for months on end and they keep the bike. Every state has a lemon law (bummer for those living where such laws are very limited or don't exist).

As soon as the bike hits the threshold for a return, make them take it back. If you really like it that much, get another.

If you don't value your own time and person, no one else will. It might be a hassle to go the lemon law route but not letting the factory know it is on the way back just lets them treat you like a financial resource.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2015, 09:37:27 PM »
Yes, that is how it should be done.

When I worked at a Triumph/Ducati/Moto Guzzi shop years ago, I had a Ducati customer insist I order some "Ducati bolts" for his bike instead of sourcing them at the local bolt supply house.  Some cad-plated M5 or M6 bolts!

Total head scratcher !!!

(true story)
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

bpreynolds

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2015, 06:17:38 AM »
When I worked at a Triumph/Ducati/Moto Guzzi shop years ago, I had a Ducati customer insist I order some "Ducati bolts" for his bike instead of sourcing them at the local bolt supply house.  Some cad-plated M5 or M6 bolts!

Total head scratcher !!!

(true story)

Wahahahahahahahaaha ha (where's that laughing until I'm crying emoticon?).   I know we are not supposed to stereotype certain owners around here but this is so exactly Ducati.  And this from a previous 2 time Ducati owner. 

Offline Gootsz

• Gosling
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2015, 06:40:49 AM »
All

Am I the only one who HASN"T had any major problems?

My 2000 Jackal has been virtually flawless.

My 2009 Griso has had the rocker conversion but that was a recall i had done.
Oh yes the breather tube up at the neck leaks due to the fact that the breather tank is poorly molded and would never seal. So a glob of goo and good to go.

2014 Custom (only 2k mikes) but again NOTHING.

Guess i will wish on my lucky stars.

Micky
Gootsz
Satellite Beach, FL
2009 GRISO
2014 CUSTOM
1975 BMW R90/6
THERE ARE NO WINNERS IN ROOM FULL OF LOSERS

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2015, 07:53:11 AM »
All

Am I the only one who HASN"T had any major problems?

I've had six Moto Guzzis and they've all been relatively trouble free.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

kirby1923

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2015, 08:20:09 AM »
I bought a '81 CX a couple of years ago with unknown history. I think its had a rough life but for a 34 year old machine I suppose you can expect that its been run hard as the Ago pegs were ground down pretty good.

After about 15K miles and some long trips it has been dead reliable.

Of course the older machines are less complicated.

mike

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here