Author Topic: Jackal Instrument cluster light replacement  (Read 2643 times)

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
Jackal Instrument cluster light replacement
« on: July 02, 2015, 07:36:40 AM »
found out the hard way that the low fuel light is out on my bike. In tandem with that, I'm definitely not getting the mileage I should, as I track my odometer at fill ups and I only went 142 miles on the tank!! now I do know that half that tank was run at idle, at Chicago stop lights. Before I freak out, I want to run another tank on these central Indiana roads and see what she calculates. Performance is good, headers are a bit dark....we shall see.

In the interim, If any o' ya'll know a part number for the replacement bulbs in the cluster, or have any other knowledge to share related to that job, I'd be much obliged.

Related....I sure wish I had a tachometer on this bike. I know Speedhut sells a nice single can that fits the mount that has both speedo and tach, but don't know what would be involved in getting proper data to the unit...is there a thread out there where someone has done this job?

for reference

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:48:24 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Jackal Instrument cluster light replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 08:46:54 AM »
bump

in other (related) news, knocked out a nice Sunday ride, and got 37 mpg for 102 miles.....proves it was all the city idling that was the culprit.

Still want to replace these bulbs though.....
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:37:19 AM »
I'd be surprised if the fuel light is burnt out, it gets such an easy life, turns on slowly and never to full brightness.
Its more likely to be the thermistor sensor burnt out.
Unplug the sensor and short out the two pins on the loom side, the lamp will light if it's ok.
Measure the resistance of the sensor, I think it's about 1,000 Ohms, I have it written down somewhere.
When the sensor (thermistor) gets uncovered the current through the lamp warms it up, the resistance drops and it pulls more current until it's limited by the lamp resistance.

150 Miles on a tank full sounds about right, as low as 130 around town with hard riding,

I replace all my lamps with LEDs, throw the lampholder away.
I sent you a PM
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:52:47 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:37:19 AM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 09:57:45 AM »
I want to add a +1 to what Roy said.
The bulb is powered (slowly) through a NTC thermistor. I've never heard of one burning out.
The sensor is about 1k ohm normally.
Have you had the tank off, and maybe messed the connection?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 10:20:06 AM »
I want to add a +1 to what Roy said.
The bulb is powered (slowly) through a NTC thermistor. I've never heard of one burning out.
The sensor is about 1k ohm normally.
Have you had the tank off, and maybe messed the connection?

For sure, the tanks been off a couple of times since I've owned it. Is this sensor a common item that can be easily sourced, if it is burned out, as Roy suggests?

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 10:37:59 AM »
You can probably get the sensor but for $20 bucks you can hook up a bicycle speedo that is far more accurate and has several other functions like 2 trip meters, time vs miles calculation, top speed etc..
you don't really need a tach once you get used to the bike, don't lug it around like a Harley, these motors like to rev.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 10:39:14 AM »
For sure, the tanks been off a couple of times since I've owned it. Is this sensor a common item that can be easily sourced, if it is burned out, as Roy suggests?

It is a Guzzi only part and gor some reason very high dollar.

Check the connector at the tank first.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
  • The BEST looking Jackal in Singapore.
    • ZDK Elite Karate & Kickboxing
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 10:59:31 AM »
I'd be surprised if the fuel light is burnt out, it gets such an easy life, turns on slowly and never to full brightness.
Its more likely to be the thermistor sensor burnt out.

Maybe not so complicated. My oil light wasn't working. It was just the bulb holder, it is like a spring - clamp, that came loose so the bulb wasn't connected. Just remove the bulb, squeeze the two contacts together so there is a tight, constant contact on the bulb. Easy, simple solution. Costs nothing to try. Hope it works for you.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 10:59:54 AM »
MG Cycle sell them for $100+, I found a similar sensor by Panasonic for about $15 but you have to adapt it.
http://industrial.panasonic.com/lecs/www-data/pdf/AUD0000/AUD0000CE2.pdf

I think they burn out because guys mix the plug with the petcock putting 12V direct on the sensor, it's ok until the fuel runs low then they quickly get red hot and burn out. I tried experimenting with regular thermistors but would be too dangerous without the metal can.

I don't see the thermistor type on MG Cycle any more.
I would be willing to adapt one of these, they use a reed switch with a magnetic float
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30&products_id=1066
I made something similar to try but the trouble is finding something light enough for a float
Here's a few pictures of the sensor
http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/Kiwi_Roy/slideshow/Fuel%20Level%20Sensor

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 04:57:56 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 07:49:22 PM »

Related....I sure wish I had a tachometer on this bike. I know Speedhut sells a nice single can that fits the mount that has both speedo and tach, but don't know what would be involved in getting proper data to the unit..
the main wiring harness has the tach wiring even tho your Jackal didn't come with a tach.. I might have the sub harness to the tach when/if you need to wire in something else.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 06:46:40 AM »
Fantastic feedback, and generosity on display here, thanks guys. I'll do the base inspection and sensor inspection first and see what comes of it.

THANK YOU!
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 07:16:19 AM »
couple of 12 hr days have kept me from pulling anything apart. Gonna do a hundred miler Sat, so I'll break into after that, and keep ya'll posted.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 07:24:19 AM »
couple of 12 hr days have kept me from pulling anything apart. Gonna do a hundred miler Sat, so I'll break into after that, and keep ya'll posted.

I'm at the Iowa rally this weekend, but i have a couple of spare sensors (tits up, of course) if you want to modify the Panasonic one that KR posted.
Many people just binned the float type and put a conventional reserve petcock on the carbed bikes. The light flashes as fuel sloshes around in the tank, so I probably wouldn't go that way.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here