Author Topic: GPS for phone question  (Read 9947 times)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: GPS for phone question
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
Thanks to those who recommended Copilot.  I installed it this morning, and am downloading maps for all of North America now.  That solves the problem of having to cache maps along my route if I don't want to have to use "data" while out riding.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 05:17:53 PM »
FWIW, the only two drawbacks to CoPilot that I have found

1.  It does not show speed limits on secondary roads, only interstates and some major US highways.  I wish this covered all roads like my Garmin GPS unit.  I also like the custom speed limit warning set point (I wish my Garmin would allow this).

2.  The two windows at bottom that show speed/eta/distance/altitude/etc are hard to see cause they are so small.  I've tried writing to CoPilot about this but no change.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:18:29 PM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 05:45:34 PM »
I also like the custom speed limit warning set point (I wish my Garmin would allow this).

I took advantage of that last year. When towing the camper across the US, with the headwinds I would get horrible fuel economy at 'ludicrous speed'.   :copcar:  So I set it warn me when I was not paying attention and getting carried away. The lower speeds got me another 25 - 35 miles per tank.  :boozing:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2015, 08:12:47 AM »
I downloaded CoPilot bit it looks free to me. Did I download thenwrong app? I see premium versions thatbrun $28-$35 but they are all for foreign countries.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2015, 08:12:47 AM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2015, 08:41:38 AM »
As of yesterday, Copilot GPS was free.  Copilot Premium was $4.99 for the US version.  As you said, other countries were higher.  I believe there is currently a 1/2-off sale for the US version, which brought the price down to $4.99.

From their site, it looks like the premium version gives you voice features, so if you don't need that, the free version is fine.

The Google app store was the only place I found the premium version.  I read that Amazon also had it, but when I tried, all I found was Copilot GPS.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 08:43:01 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2015, 08:45:18 AM »

OK. Thanks!

-AJ

As of yesterday, Copilot GPS was free.  Copilot Premium was $4.99 for the US version.  As you said, other countries were higher.  I believe there is currently a 1/2-off sale for the US version, which brought the price down to $4.99.

From their site, it looks like the premium version gives you voice features, so if you don't need that, the free version is fine.

The Google app store was the only place I found the premium version.  I read that Amazon also had it, but when I tried, all I found was Copilot GPS.
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
... When I put the phone in Aircraft mode. it looses it's navigation...
Actually, since iOS 8.3 (current version is 8.4), the iPhone GPS receiver stays on in Airplane mode.  However, the maps might or might not show up, depending on whether the particular App allows for storing downloaded maps.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:26:19 AM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2015, 10:25:05 AM »
I have the CoPilot Premium USA with traffic and offline maps (it was $15-$16 a couple of years ago) and it fully works on airplane mode. (8.4)
Nick

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2015, 11:38:08 AM »
I found it. It is an in app purchase in CoPilot. $7.99 for unlimited voice directions.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »
How does a paper map, or even a simple compass, fix this issue?

A smartphone at least has more potential to warn you.

Yeah , but paper maps are free at most welcome centers  :laugh: Dunno , we all complain about how young folks are way too reliant on technology , can't think for themselves , blah blah woof woof , ( what dogs say ) , and we seem not to be capable of finding our way
W/O the use of some "lectronic device  :shocked: :grin: Once , a GPS told me to go North , when my destination was due South  :huh:

Dusty

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »
Yeah , but paper maps are free at most welcome centers

So paper maps at welcome centers automatically have all road construction updates?

I suspect many GPS maps have the potential to be more up to date. Online maps do for sure. Something like Waze will let you know a lot about the road ahead.

Not sure how people that are afraid of a GPS as a tool, ever got away from the stone tablets and a chisel.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

oldbike54

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2015, 02:36:42 PM »
So paper maps at welcome centers automatically have all road construction updates?

I suspect many GPS maps have the potential to be more up to date. Online maps do for sure. Something like Waze will let you know a lot about the road ahead.

Not sure how people that are afraid of a GPS as a tool, ever got away from the stone tablets and a chisel.

Not afraid of GPS , well maybe a little bit  :laugh: Just not very satisfying compared to a paper map . Yeah , personal preference comes into play here , still prefer a paper book to a reader , and a real MC to a video game . Probably a good thing I won't be around in 2050 , yee gads , will virtual reality be actual reality  :grin:

"Ughh , pass me that stone tablet , Aghh here needs directions to Smggh's cave "

Dusty

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2015, 03:18:52 PM »
You could do as I do on a trip.  Carry paper and electronic.

I love paper maps and always have one on my tank bag.  I wish I had anough room to carry 1:50k USGS maps, but, I don't (if I am going off roading I will get them for the area I will be in)  I keep the GPS cause road signs can be deceptive, or small, or hidden, or non-existent, or I am not paying attention as I pass by the intersection  :)

FWIW, I rarely used a compass when navigating by map, even at night.  Only got me in trouble once, when the fog was so thick I could not see the front of my vehicle.  :)  (no, I never had to navigate in the middle east)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

190 Octane

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2015, 03:30:54 PM »
I've used a mix of paper maps and cell phone GPS on trips before.  We've planed route out as group while looking at a paper map, then entered way poinst on the GPS to fallow the route plotted on the map.

GPS does have one big advantage, it knows where you are even when you don't.  It gets hard to use a map if you wind up of course and can't determine your location.

nunzio

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2015, 08:58:17 AM »
I prefer OSMand+ (not to be confused with the free OSMand), but yes, the routing engine is weak. I usually only use it to display a map.

Try HERE maps from Nokia. It is FREE right now.

On long trips where I really do want to follow a route, I like CoPilot. It is not free.

I haven't used it, but there is a version from Tom Tom called Route 66 with a free trial.

Thanks for the Co-Pilot tip!
We loaded it on my wife's new Samsung Tab A.
We are using it on our trip to the Iowa Rally.
It works great and is easy to learn(For My Wife)

Alan & Joni

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2015, 10:45:02 AM »
Car GPS units can be had for $60 and mounted to the motorcycle.

I do not need or desire voice, music or anything but a moving map with turn here directions.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2015, 11:44:59 AM »
I do use a car GPS mounted to the bike for longer trips.  I killed one and am on my second (it has lasted for three 3000mi trips).  When it dies will buy another.  Having a cheap one mounted means I don't mine leaving it on the bike when I go in to eat or such.

I have also been known to have my map in the tank bag, the dedicated GPS zoomed in to show me curves ahead, and the phone GPS zoomed out to show the general route and upcoming items of interest.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2015, 03:24:37 PM »
Sbaker, another interesting discovery from playing with the tracking app:  My wife's phone is older and slower than mine.  When it sends position information back to my computer, more than half the time it falls back to the cell system based tracking, and when it's in the house, most of the time it can't get GPS position data.  I seems to have a much less sensitive GPS receiver, so it often can't get a fix on its own.  Something similar might be happening to your phone. 

Mine is a non-cutting-edge Samsung Galaxy S3, but it sends back accurate GPS derived position information at least 95% of the time, even when it's inside the house.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here