Author Topic: 2003 hydro for sale in my neighborhood  (Read 4736 times)

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
2003 hydro for sale in my neighborhood
« on: July 08, 2015, 09:54:05 PM »
I don't know anything about the bike or the seller, but it's less than an hour from me if anybody wants me to take a look for them. My brother emailed me the link in an email titled " Backup Ride For You ".

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/5111402094.html
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline T in NC

• Gaggle Hero
  • non e il rumore, e la musica
Re: 2003 hydro for sale in my neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 10:40:03 PM »
Lifter Recall ?

Dusty
My first thought was at <3000 no recall done yet.

Steve Stamilio

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 04:54:52 AM »
Thats the "Aluminum" model.  Nice Stornello in the garage too - go get that!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:21:29 AM »
Do those have tubed or tubeless wheels?  Nice bike, and only a few hours away.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:21:29 AM »

190 Octane

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 11:01:59 AM »
Do those have tubed or tubeless wheels?  Nice bike, and only a few hours away.

Tubed wheels and nonadjustable forks.  Other than that and the foot pegs they are pretty much the same as an EV.

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:36:01 AM »
AFAIK, Guzzi will still take care of the recalls on those bikes.  I know my local dealer did one just last year.  He wasn't sure he'd be able to get the parts when he ordered them, but they showed up about two months later. 

I've owned an '03 Titanium and they are really sweet machines.  I actually liked the hydro better than my '99EV.  If that bike was close to me, I'd definitely buy it if the recalls are already done.  If they weren't I'd have to check with my dealer first and see what Guzzi had to say.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
  With the VIN# you can find out if the lifter/cam recall was recorded being complete.  We have done a few bikes that the recall was claimed but never done.  There is a set of TOOLS that Guzzi will send with the kit that makes the job much easier.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline chaoselephant23

• New Egg
  • Livin
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 06:11:02 PM »
AFAIK, Guzzi will still take care of the recalls on those bikes.  I know my local dealer did one just last year.  He wasn't sure he'd be able to get the parts when he ordered them, but they showed up about two months later. 

Whether Guzzi will take care of the recall depends on when the bike was first sold. As far as federal regulation goes as per NHSTA, Guzzi only has to provide recall work up until ten years after original sale of the vehicle. After the ten years are up, they don't have any obligation to perform the work.

I just went through this BS. Have a 2003 Stone Touring Hydro I inherited from my uncle whom purchased the bike in June of 2003. Sat for a long while with a broken clutch waiting for me to get up the courage to tackle, what I would find to be a most excellent starter, project. After I installed the clutch, I tried to get the recall work done in April of 2015. Guzzi denied the recall work on their dime because it was over ten years since the initial sale. Guzzi even denied me access to a free recall parts kit. Instead they wanted me to pay the $1800 list price for the recall parts kit.

If anyone is interested in the bike, call MPH Cycles to make sure they still have a recall kit available. When I got mine about 2 months ago, there were 4 parts kits left after mine went out the door. MPH will part with the kit for $125 + shipping. Then do some Googling of Wild Guzzi to find someone willing to lend you the tool kit. I am currently borrowing brlawson's tool kit. I'm almost done with the install. Were I not an inexperienced (meaning I take my sweet molasses time) mechanic and 40 hour wage slave with a girlfriend, the install would have been done a while back.
2003 California EV Touring
2003 California Stone Touring

MGNOC #22970

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 09:41:42 PM »
I talked to the owner today.  He bought the bike new, and the recall has been done by the San Franciso dealer shortly after the recall was announced.   He bought the Stornello new also, it was his first bike.  He now rides a DLR, it fits his tall body frame better.  He loves the Aluminum, but never rides it. 
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 10:00:12 PM »
Hey, that's what I was gonna say. Just got this email response from him:

" Hi Norman, Yes, the Hydraulic lifter recall was done by Monroe Motors in San Francisco within a year or so after I bought it.  i bought it new from a dealer in Orange County, I'm the original owner.  Please call me with any questions.  I also have a 1967 Moto Guzzi Stornello 125cc I'm selling. "
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 12:42:03 AM »
Hey, that's what I was gonna say. Just got this email response from him:

" Hi Norman, Yes, the Hydraulic lifter recall was done by Monroe Motors in San Francisco within a year or so after I bought it.  i bought it new from a dealer in Orange County, I'm the original owner.  Please call me with any questions.  I also have a 1967 Moto Guzzi Stornello 125cc I'm selling. "

The Orange County dealer of the time was Orange County Triumph.  They sold my 04 Stone Touring new in early 07 and did the recall on the hydraulics.  It was done properly and I never have had a problem.  I believe they no longer sell Guzzis, however.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Online cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 04:43:00 AM »
Since the recall's been done, someone ought to jump on this one!

I have eight bikes in my garage (BMWs, Harleys, new Ducati, Kawasaki KLR) and the Aluminium gets more positive comments than any of the others.

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 12:30:26 PM »
I've owned an Aluminum. Really good cali. Those hydro's are super smooth and I can feel more power than in my jackal.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

canuguzzi

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 12:59:16 PM »
If someone were interested, they can call Munroe Motors with permission from the owner and get the service history for the lifters and any other work they've done, they are good about that.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here