Author Topic: Foot warmers  (Read 2627 times)

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Foot warmers
« on: July 09, 2015, 12:11:41 AM »
My feet have some unknown problem that makes them go painfully cold.  It might be that I froze them once too often.  My IR thermometer confirms that it's in my feet, not my head -- there's a 'dead zone' in the top of each foot that can become up to 15º colder than the immediately adjacent areas.  It's not a constant thing, but even in this hot weather it's becoming a daily bore to deal with.  Wool socks don't help because there's no heat in the feet to capture and contain.

I'm looking for some sort of heated device -- like slippers maybe -- that will warm up the piggies to their nominal operating temperature.  My criteria are:  They must have their own heat source, be two pieces (one for each foot) and preferably not battery operated.  Washable is good.  Walkable is good.  A built-in massager would be good too, but lack of such is not a deal breaker.

What have you folks seen/used/seen used, and how did they work out?

oldbike54

Re: Foot warmers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 12:19:42 AM »
 The only thing I can think of are those little catalytic foot warmer thingies , unfortunately they are one time use only .

Dusty

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 12:24:40 AM »
I need easy in/easy out like slippers or mukluks.  The intent is at my office desk or while lying down.  So a wall plug would be good.  Extra points if the power cords unplug at both ends.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 03:39:01 AM »
Why not some Girbings?
http://gerbing.com/
Socks or just insoles
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:46:38 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 03:39:01 AM »

Offline neverquit

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 07:34:58 AM »
I have heard of doctors prescribing some sort of blood pressure medicine to help conditions like that.  That's where I would start.  It is probably some sort of circulation problem.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 09:16:22 AM »
Down booties?

Rich A

Offline BrianK

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 12:41:01 PM »
Airhead BMW!  Your feet will stay toasty.... :grin:

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 12:49:04 PM »
The doctors haven't come up with a good reason for the problem yet.  They've ruled out diabetes and plugged hoses.  Blood pressure is not a problem yet (although it's always high when it's a lab visit -- I HATE needles).

Looked over the Girbing line, thanks for the link. -- this is all 'activewear'.  I'm looking for 'restwear' -- something to use at home, while sitting or lying down.

I'm expanding the search to include small heating blankets that I might be able to fold over and make a wide 'envelope' to put my feet in.  I see some bootie things that fit both feet into one unit.  Those would make my feet 'claustrophobic'.  I need more freedom to move my feet.  Too restrictive = foot and leg cramps.  I can't use a 'mummy bag' sleeping bag anymore because of the restrictive taper to the feet.

Brian, I have an airhead BMW on the back porch.  I piped the exhaust into the house on your recommendation.  Aside from killing all the inside spiders and improving the smell in the kitchen it was useless.  Maybe it was the E-10?

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 01:06:42 PM »
 David , you are supposed to vent the exhaust into a neighbors house , just run the primary head pipes through your own . Works kinda like a wood stove pipe  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 02:42:50 PM »
I had good luck with ThermaCell insoles. They are rechargeable and--get this--have a remote control. They are designed for hunters but I found them to be great on cold rides. But all that convenience means they are expensive, over $100 at Bass Pro Shops.
Or here, I found them on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-THS01-S-p-ThermaCell-Rechargeable/dp/B0089VUGQA

PS I see that a lot of Amazon reviewers didn't like them. But the manufacturer clearly says on the instructions that the insoles are meant to make your feet feel normal, not feel warm. Otherwise you get sweaty feet, which is a huge hassle when it's cold.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:45:26 PM by segesta »
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here