Author Topic: Most likely cause of driveline backlash? Short video for diagnosis included.  (Read 2515 times)

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
Hi all,

hope someone can confirm my suspicions or tell me I'm way off base.

Riding the '77 LeMans at around 3.5-4.5k rpm I could hear a rattle in the driveline that was causing me concern. If I get on the berries up the rev range I don't notice it at all. I'm guessing when everything is under load it's fine but when revs are near constant there's some lash in the uni-joint (or possibly the splined shaft?).

I've ordered some parts expecting the uni joint will need swapping out sooner or later regardless.

If you can spare a moment to look at my video of the bike running in first on the stand & throw in your opinion about the knock I'd appreciate it. If running it in first on the stand in itself is a bad idea you can scold me for that too! I'm posting as I'm guessing but some of you will know!

Thanks

https://vimeo.com/133110362
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

oldbike54

Get ready for the scolding , I did that once , and almost half the board told me to never do that again , and that was the nice half  :laugh:
Probably a U joint , push on the boot around it .

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Probably at least the u-joint.   To monitor the condition of the u-joint before it get's this bad, rotating your wheel back/forth when the bike is off, the more slop doing that the more your u-joint is worn.  :wink:  After you get a new u-joint in there you will know what doing this feels like as a reference.  I do this same test on my 750 Breva.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:55:28 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Vasco DG

Is it making a noise when you are riding it or just on the stand? If it's doing that when you're riding it you have a problem. If it's only doing it on the stand? Well? Just don't.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
Get ready for the scolding , I did that once , and almost half the board told me to never do that again , and that was the nice half  :laugh:
Probably a U joint , push on the boot around it .

Dusty

Thanks Dusty, I figured it wasn't designed to run without load. I hope the board considers me thoroughly scolded!

I'll give the u-joint a prod later to see if anything feels odd.

Probably at least the u-joint.   To monitor the condition of the u-joint before it get's this bad, rotating your wheel back/forth when the bike if off, the more slop doing that the more your u-joint is worn.  :wink:  After you get a new u-joint in there you will know what doing this feels like as a reference.  I do this same test on my 750 Breva.

Thanks Wayne, I did try feeling the 'slop' at different parts of the wheel rotation but couldn't tell the difference. I used my other LeMans as a reference (runs beautifully on the road) but couldn't notice a difference!

Is it making a noise when you are riding it or just on the stand? If it's doing that when you're riding it you have a problem. If it's only doing it on the stand? Well? Just don't.

Pete

Yes Pete, when I'm riding but not all the time. When sitting on 3.5-4.5k rpm I can usually hear it but if I wind on the power I can't notice it. When I say can't notice it I can't hear or feel it & the bike feels great.

Because it was only at a certain RPM & specific load I was thinking the uni-joint or splines must be worn unusually.

I did find  pieces of teeth in the rear drive sump when I changed the Dif oil (850T dif). I can add a pic when my internet is working better

850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Vasco DG

If it sounds like a helicopter is following you down the road when you're riding it the UJ is buggered.

Pete

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
broken cush drive spring can cause driveline slop

run it on the centerstand but drag the rear brake for load...     (donning asbestos suit)
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here