Author Topic: Adelaide Heatwave  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
Adelaide Heatwave
« on: January 15, 2019, 02:35:16 AM »
A tad warm in Adelaide South Australia
This was at the traffic lights on the way home from work
Got to 51c a few hundred metres up the road

Offline wyno

• Gosling
Re: Adelaide Heatwave
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 03:15:59 AM »
Had 33 in Geelong today and expecting 25 tomorrow. We usually get Adelaide's weather but not this time.
Wyno

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 03:59:27 AM »
I was down there last week visiting my daughter and have previously lived in Adelaide.
I'm now back in South East QLD, the thermometer may read lower but the humidity sucks the life out of you.

I think I would prefer the Adelaide heat as a fan actually cools you own.

It looks like you need fuel, at least it is cheaper than up here.

Steve

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:44:30 AM »
Woah.. 50C *is* a mite warm.. even JJ would probably stay inside.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:44:30 AM »

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 01:36:09 PM »
Got to 51c a few hundred metres up the road

:shocked:  I think the warmest I've seen is around 45 and that was more than I cared to see again.  Wow.

Any warm weather tips other than riding early/late and getting ventilated gear?

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 01:52:16 PM »

Back in 1990 they had to shut down Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix because the temp hit 122f and the air was too thin and hot for the jets to take off in. I now live in a cooler climate :evil:

Paul B
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

pete roper

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 02:00:57 PM »
It got to just shy of 40*C here yesterday and they're promising us 42* today. I has a 1200 Sport in yesterday that the owner bought in at 9.00AM. I'm doing the valves this morning as it was still too hot at 2.30PM when I spat the dummy and buggered off to the pub! Today's job is a big service on a Stelvio NTX but at least the owner left it with me last week so I won't burn myself on anything I touch!

The workshop is in a brick and tin shed with a tin roof. It gets murderously hot in this sort of weather. I would of drunk three litres of water before mid day yesterday and didn't pee until mid afternoon! Gotta go get some of that electrolyte replacement stuff before I start work this morning. I'm getting too old for this shit.

Bleargh.

beetle

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 02:53:57 PM »
44° here yesterday. Expecting 44° again today. It was 36° at 10pm. I hate summer.  :violent1:

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 03:05:51 PM »
I was down there last week visiting my daughter and have previously lived in Adelaide.
I'm now back in South East QLD, the thermometer may read lower but the humidity sucks the life out of you.

I think I would prefer the Adelaide heat as a fan actually cools you own.

It looks like you need fuel, at least it is cheaper than up here.

Steve

Unleaded is as low as$1.04 a litre at the moment
Even diesel is being discounted

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »

It looks like you need fuel

Steve
Need fuel...?
I'm no longer familiar with that concept...
Not an 8V perchance is it.. :evil:

Hey, while we're on the topic of temperature...
The ambient temperature guage on my Norge is very accurate, I always check it against those big digital thermometers you see up on buildings and such.
Up under the instruments though there is a small plastic block connected to the loom and with a protruberance about the size and shape of an adult male nipple of all things.
Is that the probe ? It just hangs there and always has, should it plug into the back of the instrument cluster or something ?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:17:22 PM by Huzo »

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 03:11:56 PM »
:shocked:  I think the warmest I've seen is around 45 and that was more than I cared to see again.  Wow.

Any warm weather tips other than riding early/late and getting ventilated gear?

I’ve survived a 56c day at Woomera in the South Australian Outback
Yesterday’s (and today’s) heat is very dry so a long sleeved t shirt under a BMW “Airflow” jacket and matching jeans is usually enough to keep cool on the bike. Traffic jams are just a matter of sit and sweat.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 03:31:06 PM »
Need fuel...?
I'm no longer familiar with that concept...
Not an 8V perchance is it.. :evil:

Hey, while we're on the topic of temperature...
The ambient temperature guage on my Norge is very accurate, I always check it against those big digital thermometers you see up on buildings and such.
Up under the instruments though there is a small plastic block connected to the loom and with a protruberance about the size and shape of an adult male nipple of all things.
Is that the probe ? It just hangs there and always has, should it plug into the back of the instrument cluster or something ?
That lil male nipple is the probe & wire goes to dash plug
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 03:39:34 PM »
Thank you Guzzisteve.
I couldn't see where it fitted, but will check again next time I'm in there for some reason.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 04:30:02 PM »
now it is def hot...

now bears the question...

Do you want hot & dry or do you want cold & wet (here is in Vancouver BC)  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:52:20 PM by TimmyTheHog »
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 04:49:50 PM »
So does it just hang there like a spare appendage, or does the block fit into a recess as well as the plug ?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:50:17 PM by Huzo »

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 08:14:12 PM »
    Huzo, on my 2012 it fits inside of the right fairing, held in place by a phillips sheet metal screw.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 05:46:52 PM »
    Back in 1990 they had to shut down Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix because the temp hit 122f and the air was too thin and hot for the jets to take off in. I now live in a cooler climate :evil:

Paul B

I was on a B-737 in Phoenix that day, last stop before LAX, on my way to acceptance testing a piece of equipment we were buying in Rancho Cucamonga.   June 26th, 1990 it was.   We must have burned half a tank of fuel sitting on the runway waiting for the heat to go down so the plane could take off from that altitude (1,135 feet) at that temperature ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 01:22:03 AM »
    Huzo, on my 2012 it fits inside of the right fairing, held in place by a phillips sheet metal screw.
Mine is an old rattletrap '07, but I will investigate further.
Thank you.. :thumb:

Offline Bigtime

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 04:01:29 AM »
It got to just shy of 40*C here yesterday and they're promising us 42* today. I has a 1200 Sport in yesterday that the owner bought in at 9.00AM. I'm doing the valves this morning as it was still too hot at 2.30PM when I spat the dummy and buggered off to the pub! Today's job is a big service on a Stelvio NTX but at least the owner left it with me last week so I won't burn myself on anything I touch!

The workshop is in a brick and tin shed with a tin roof. It gets murderously hot in this sort of weather. I would of drunk three litres of water before mid day yesterday and didn't pee until mid afternoon! Gotta go get some of that electrolyte replacement stuff before I start work this morning. I'm getting too old for this shit.

Bleargh.
    Pete, Totally understand the drinking tons of water and not having to pee. I'm an electrical lineman and doing energized work in rubber gloves and sleeves in the summer has the same effect. Drink a gallon of water and not pee all day. Winter time is a different story, having to pee ten times a day. A gallon of coffee probably has something to do with that. :grin:

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 11:14:18 AM »

Paul B
I was stuck there for two days. Operations called me at 2 am to head to the airport for takeoff at 530 am. It really wasn't that it was too hot for the jets to fly, it was that Boeing and Douglas wanted a couple of million for the takeoff data charts that went above 112. (I think that was the temp.)
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 01:07:54 PM »
    Pete, Totally understand the drinking tons of water and not having to pee. I'm an electrical lineman and doing energized work in rubber gloves and sleeves in the summer has the same effect. Drink a gallon of water and not pee all day. Winter time is a different story, having to pee ten times a day. A gallon of coffee probably has something to do with that. :grin:
Not from Wichita perchance..?

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »
44° here yesterday. Expecting 44° again today. It was 36° at 10pm. I hate summer.  :violent1:
Brings back memories of us working on the Calvin last year at this same time. Hot as Haties there and cold as a witches tit here:)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 10:46:59 PM »
NZ getting that heatwave now.  Being surrounded by ocean we don't usually get as hot as Oz, but today was supposed to hit 28C (it's 31.8 at my keyboard) but tomorrow is supposed to hit 31C.  Prefer it somewhat cooler.

I bet Motomoda must be unbearable during heatwaves Pete.  Bad enough in the son's workshop.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

pete roper

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 10:55:25 PM »
It's 37*C here at the moment. I knocked off after servicing and mapping a Griso and fixing up a bloke who's bike had been 'serviced' by a mob in Albion Park. Ever since when he took it out it blurted gearbox oil everywhere. Unsurprising really as it was a V7-II with a six speed box and they'd put at least a litre of oil in it. :violent1:

Six speed takes 1/2 a litre tops. :rolleyes:

beetle

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2019, 11:41:36 PM »
Brief thunderstorm here has made the temperature plummet from 43 to 37! Oh frabjous day!

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 12:01:43 AM »
 We had several days of 50C in July of 2011 over here in the NE part of of Oklahoma . The 24 hour a day average for the month was almost 90 F , and the first week was a bit below the average , which meant the last 3 weeks were hell . When the low is 88 F at 5:AM , you know that the best course of action is to not go out  :tongue:

Dusty

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here