Author Topic: Opinions on corbin seat.  (Read 9935 times)

Hymes Inc.

Opinions on corbin seat.
« on: January 18, 2019, 09:38:42 PM »
Hello people. Been a very long time since I've been on here. Mostly because I only have internet on my phone now and I hate this tiny screen. Anyways I'm probably going to buy a Corbin seat for my 2013 V7 Special. Wanted to hear some opinions. I have no issue with the stock seat but my wife hates it. I'm also looking to get some riding pants. Never had any other then chaps. Don't know whether I should get over pants or ones you wear as pants. Whatever I get will be waterproof. Opinions are welcome.

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Opinions on corbin seat.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 10:00:27 PM »
Corbins are heavy and clunky - they should use less resin, but that's kind of how it is with chopper guns. They're very firm, but somehow comfortable. Don't know why that is. Never bought one new, they've come to me on used bikes and wound up leaving them. I've had them on the GSPD, R65LS, R100RS and now on the 1000 LeMans.

I've got MC pants intended not as over-pants. I never wear them. It's always much easier and quicker putting on the leathers with full side zips or the Aerostich. The bike is my main transportation so I might put on the gear two or three times a day. I always ride with all the gear.

Offline Rebochi

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 10:21:42 PM »
  Corbin seats are very comfortable after they break in. The first thousand miles you will think that you wasted 500 bucks, after 10,000 miles they are just right.

1200 GS
1200 Sport
1100 Griso
2003 Rosso Corsa
Ducati Multistrada
Indian FTR 1200

Offline jim_W

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 10:28:01 PM »
And they look good too.  My first trip on this seat was from Phoenix to Oklahoma City, Nearly  a thousand miles that day

. Somewhere in Texas at a fuel stop a fellow at the next pump asked me how I liked the Corbin. That was the first time I had thought about the seat all day. I was over 800 miles into my trip at that point.   Guess I like it

"There are a few must-haves in life. They are (1) air, (2) food and drink, (3) clothing, (4) shelter, and (5) a good revolver. Everything else is optional."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 10:28:01 PM »

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 10:49:03 PM »
I like Corbin seats very much. Have one on my '08 1200 Sport and also on a '74 Norton Commando. Previously had one on a '96 Triumph Thunderbird. They are very firm, well made seats. I agree with the comments about break-in and it can take some time for these seats to form to your butt. Some people find them too firm. May be related to weight. I am 6' 1" and about 220 lbs and stock seat on 1200 Sport was way too soft for me. Made for someone 150 lbs and it had little side support. Has made the Sport all-day comfortable for me which is important because it is my main touring bike currently. The side support is really good. One potential negative of the Corbin is that because of the ergonomic shape and side support, it does increase saddle height to a certain extent. Your legs have to go out and over the side supports when feet are on the ground. This can become an issue for shorter riders on really tall bikes like the Commando.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:23:34 AM by tpeever »
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 10:57:02 PM »
Corbin makes a good saddle. It is comfortable and long lasting. I have one on my California Vintage as well as my BMW. However, they can be a little arrogant to work with after the sale. The seat cover on my Beemer’s seat was installed poorly...the rear was misaligned and the stitching made the error very obvious. “Sorry dude...it’s a handmade item,” was all they could say when I asked that it be fixed. I took it to a local auto interior shop and they removed and properly re-installed my seat cover for $50. My Guzzi seat was perfect as delivered.

Something else to consider is Corbin’s use of leather seating surfaces. It looks great and feels super, but requires some care. Waterproof covers are available. The Corbin backrests are nice also. For many Guzzi’s, a Corbin backrest is a rider’s only option if a top case is not desired. Photo below:

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 05:36:57 AM »
I speak with a lot of Corbin owners as many order my waterproof seat covers to use with them.
Of all the custom seat owners I speak with (BMS, Russell, Laam, and such) Corbin seems to be the most 50/50 love/hate when I ask folks how they like their seat.

In the course of my business I will buy, test fit, use, and then sell dozens of custom seats.  From the big names to the small local guys.  I've only kept one Corbin and strangle enough it's for my V7.  Not because it's all that comfortable but because I love the custom flag detail on the tail!  It gets a lot of looks on day rides.  When I go away for more than one day I use something else.

Maybe kevm will chime in-he bought a Corbin for his white V7 from me last year which I got fro another forum member prior to that.
Seats and screens are so very individualist.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:09:56 AM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 07:18:54 AM »
Sure I can chime....

I like Corbins. They are among the best mc seats I've ever had. But when they are breaking in they feel like torture. Also sometimes the initial fit sucks.

But they are still my go to with aftermarket seats most of the time.

I really like the look of the one in my Stone too.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 07:45:21 AM »
Have owned CORBIN's and SARGENT seats...both good, after they break in.   :wink:

Agree with the fact that seats are an individual's preference as everyone's butt is different. :thumb: :cool:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 07:59:32 AM »
I love the corbin on my Breva1100 but I was able to get is cheap(er) on ebay from someone who didn't get it broken in before deciding to sell it.  To me, it's too low and I'd be happy to pay to have it built up... Corbin is not an option for that tho, the price the quoted to raise it 1" was equivalent to about 80% of the cost of a brand new one...

One custom seatmaker told me they don't work on corbins because of the rivets.. But I found an excellent custom seat maker right in my town who says she'll do it (she rivets her own customs anyway)

as for the riding pants, I prefer the ones you just WEAR, as the overpants seem way too bulky for me. (granted i am an aging hipster who wears slim/skinny/tight cut pants in general)

Idk what size you wear, but I bet there are enough guys here that have extra unused pants.. put out the call, I bet there are tons of us with new/lightly use riding pants we'd love to sell... you can get several pair/styles for the price of one new pair and try a variety to see what you like
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 08:31:16 AM »
Firm but comfortable.

Alot depends on what you wear when you ride. I usually wear leathers which provide far more support than jeans. They tend to make most seats more comfortable.

Had a corbin on a Guzzi LeMans. Could go 8 hrs easy.
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 08:49:51 AM »
I like Corbin seats on Cruiser Style bikes because of the bucket they create.  On any other riding position they just feel awkward to me.

Save your money and contact Terry at https://www.terryscustomseats.com/ and get an all day comfortable seat for about half the money of a Corbin. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 10:49:33 AM »
I have a Corbin on my Buell Ulysses and it has never broken in (10,00+ miles)  Love the looks but way too hard.  Looking for someone to upgrade the foam on it.  The Corbins on a Norton look amazing.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 10:56:43 AM »
As many seat opinions as there are butts. I have corbin on the CX100 and Sargent on the III Like 'em both after a good break in. But the Corbin is more firm.

ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 11:23:56 AM »
Love all of my Sargent seats, Endured my Corbin.
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 11:41:37 AM »
I have a Corbin on an SP/Lemans clone and like it a lot.

I prefer an over pant that I can remove if necessary. It is cool even in the Summer in Seattle and the extra layer works for me. If you are in a hot or humid climate, it may not be a good option.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 12:39:21 PM »
I've not ridden them for any distance but sat on a few.  All of them were dished against riding in a tuck, more like they were designed for a cruiser.  It made for a longer reach to the handle bars and changed the foot peg geometry.  None of the owners seemed to notice that and liked riding them.  I suppose that is first impression vs distance riding?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 12:56:22 PM »
Not so sure the Corbin breaks in so much as your butt does. To me a firm seat is a must for more than a couple hours in the saddle!! YMMV

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 01:43:39 PM »
I've not ridden them for any distance but sat on a few.  All of them were dished against riding in a tuck, more like they were designed for a cruiser.  It made for a longer reach to the handle bars and changed the foot peg geometry.  None of the owners seemed to notice that and liked riding them.  I suppose that is first impression vs distance riding?
+1.  Definitely for the taller and "heavier" rider.  Push you further back.  Found them to be as hard as a rock, and i prefer the Sargents much better.  Personal preference though...

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 02:23:57 PM »
At 250lbs I'm very satisfied with my Corbin as the stock seat conspired to drive my cheeks in opposite directions after 70 miles or so.
The Corbin is firm but doesn't seem to be doing the "break in" thing (10k miles+).
This is not a complaint, just an observation..
Adds to the seat height over stock approx 3/4". This is another plus as I have made 1" bar risers, so the combination has opened up the bike for more comfort.
Love the fabric, red welting, and flying Italian colors on the seat tag.
Fit-to-bike was spot on.

Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 04:19:04 PM »
At 250lbs I'm very satisfied with my Corbin as the stock seat conspired to drive my cheeks in opposite directions after 70 miles or so.
The Corbin is firm but doesn't seem to be doing the "break in" thing (10k miles+).
This is not a complaint, just an observation..
Adds to the seat height over stock approx 3/4". This is another plus as I have made 1" bar risers, so the combination has opened up the bike for more comfort.
Love the fabric, red welting, and flying Italian colors on the seat tag.
Fit-to-bike was spot on.

so are the inch risers needed to accommodate the dished seat?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 04:55:05 PM »
Well, for me, one complimented the other.
The risers where less necessary than opening up my knee angle as the Corbin accomplished. Risers are just icing on the cake :boozing:
Addition of Knight Design lowered pegs made 650 mile days doable.

Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »
Not so sure the Corbin breaks in so much as your butt does. To me a firm seat is a must for more than a couple hours in the saddle!! YMMV

To address this. My first Corbin was custom ordered and built to spec in 96 for my first RK.

In the first few hundred miles I called their customer service to curse them out they'd made my RK more uncomfortable than a stock solidmount Sportster seat. And at the time I knew more than I wanted to about that.

Anyway, they explained that the closed cell foam they used would slowly take a set to the particular mold of the user, thus equally distributing the weight and eliminating spots of higher pressure.

After a few thousand miles it was like a completely different seat. It still felt as stiff as a board everytime I sat down. But I could put in 10+ hour/500+ mile days, back-to-back-to-back-to-etc without ever being uncomfortable again.

Honestly the only seat I've ever had that matches or beats it is the police seat on the current RK.

My ass is still quite uncomfortable on a bunch of other bikes....Duc, OEM seat on my V7, the OEM seat on the Jackal before it....etc.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 06:57:24 PM »
To address this. My first Corbin was custom ordered and built to spec in 96 for my first RK.

In the first few hundred miles I called their customer service to curse them out they'd made my RK more uncomfortable than a stock solidmount Sportster seat. And at the time I knew more than I wanted to about that.

Anyway, they explained that the closed cell foam they used would slowly take a set to the particular mold of the user, thus equally distributing the weight and eliminating spots of higher pressure.

After a few thousand miles it was like a completely different seat. It still felt as stiff as a board everytime I sat down. But I could put in 10+ hour/500+ mile days, back-to-back-to-back-to-etc without ever being uncomfortable again.

Honestly the only seat I've ever had that matches or beats it is the police seat on the current RK.

My ass is still quite uncomfortable on a bunch of other bikes....Duc, OEM seat on my V7, the OEM seat on the Jackal before it....etc.

I have heard they don't use that formula for foam anymore and the foam now stays more flexible than hardening over time.  Back then when you got a new seat you needed to ride it alot to get it to form to your needs. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 07:17:55 PM »
I have heard they don't use that formula for foam anymore and the foam now stays more flexible than hardening over time.  Back then when you got a new seat you needed to ride it alot to get it to form to your needs.

Anything's possible.

My new V7 Corbin seems just as firm though.

Maybe it is conforming quicker or instantly, who knows.

I'll let you know at the end of next season if I'm as impressed, though my V7 isn't really my 500+ miles a day go to. But we'll see
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 08:15:13 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 08:09:30 PM »
I have had good Corbins and bad Corbins.  The best were the ones I rode in and had the seat made to fit me at the Corbin factory.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2019, 08:44:37 PM »
It's closed cell foam.  The break-in is simply rupturing the cell walls until it shapes to your form.  Nothing magic about it.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Gappy

• New Egg
  • StLouis MO
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2019, 10:09:10 PM »
I have Corbins on 2of my bikes because they came with them. I also have Russel Daylongs on another 2 machines. As soon as I can afford it, I will have Russel Daylongs on 4 of the 5 of my bikes. My butt and Corbin do not get along very well, maybe for about 3-4 hours. They are just too hard for me, but it beats sitting on the frame. Although the Corbin saddle is just ok on my sport touring bike , the k75s. Maybe it is because of the riding position.
2003 Suzuki burgman an650
1994 Moto Guzzi California 1100
1992 BMW k75s
1983 Harley Davidson FLHT
1981 BMW r100rt
1981 Honda 650/4

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 08:38:20 AM »
The two seats that I have pictured in post #5 are both recent builds and are very comfortable, but the Corbin Gunfighter that I bought for my CB750F back in the 90s was hardly any better than the sacked out stocker. In addition to better foam, I believe they have refined the shapes and heights of their seats to suit riders who want more than something that just looks cool. The longitudinal stitching helps fight the dreaded "sweaty butt" and the leather surfaces just feel better. If your last Corbin is older than ten years old, you may wish to check out their newer offerings.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 04:36:13 PM »
It's closed cell foam.  The break-in is simply rupturing the cell walls until it shapes to your form.  Nothing magic about it.
And don't have anything in your back pockets.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here