Author Topic: V7 sport...a question regarding patina and originality  (Read 1487 times)

Offline harrytief

• Gaggle Mentor
V7 sport...a question regarding patina and originality
« on: January 21, 2019, 02:53:55 PM »
The new to me '73 v7 sport is in terrific shape considering it is 46 years old. The chrome fenders and headlight polish up like new and the wheels, forks, and shocks look like they where taken from long term storage and mounted on the bike just prior to its sale, which they were. The gas tank and side covers are dent free but the paint is chipped and faded with some minor surface rusting on the interior of the side tool boxes. So what is my problem?
I will not "restore" this bike but want a rider without destroying it's historical or fiscal value. If anything, I want to enhance these attributes. Where do I draw the line?
So far, I have partially stripped the bike and asked Greg Bender for a new harness including relays to replace the slashed and burned original. The frame is original showing no sign of crash damage but the paint on the front and other exposed areas is worn off in several places. As part of addressing the wiring issue I'd like to replace the original coils with current replacements, the alternator with an upgrade from a T3, and the voltage regulator with a solid state unit. The bike was purchased in Italy and fitted with right side shift. I have a left side shift kit to fit.
I'd like some feedback as to where I might be crossing the "line"? I know it is my bike to do as I like but these bikes deserve some respect.
Harry

canuck750

Re: V7 sport...a question regarding patina and originality
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:03:08 PM »
Hi Harry, please post us some pictures!

As far as preservation I would cut polish the painted tank and tool boxes and then use a liberal coat of past wax. This is the cut polish I used restoring Luca's 750 S3 gas tank and side covers, most NAPA stores can get it for you, I use a professional foam pad polisher to cut polish the parts, and use lots of fresh water!

Minor frame touch ups can be achieved with a brush application of POR 15 gloss coat. POR 15 is an epoxy paint that can go over top of rust but I knock the rust off with a flap wheel 1st. I just used it to clean up a Benelli 175 Enduro frame.

I don't see any harm in replacing the wiring or electrical components, to me they are consumables.

Cheers

Jim

Online Rolf Halvorsen

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 09:29:59 AM »
If you want a rider - you should think about changing the cylinders from original chrome coating internally to the Gilardoni with Nicasil. Also to open the crank hidden sludge chamber and clean it. The rest can stay as is.

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 09:39:52 AM »
Swap out the cylinders & pistons and check crank as suggested.  Mine was stuck (pistons) when I got it.  I did the top end, but didn't know enough to do the bottom end at the same time.  So it required attention a couple years later....  The rest is up to you.  bolt on stuff is easy to change/remove/install as you want.  Things that are not as simple to undo, like paint- if you have reservations about doing it, wait until you don't. 

many people think nothing about getting a brand new bike and swapping parts as they see fit and then critique an older bike as being sub-par because it isn't "original."   In the end, it's your bike now.  Enjoy it the way you see fit.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 09:39:52 AM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here