Author Topic: Would you buy an MV Agusta?  (Read 5486 times)

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
Would you buy an MV Agusta?
« on: January 21, 2019, 03:07:16 PM »
I think I'll probably buy another bike next year when I retire. I like Italian bikes and I've been seeing some leftover MV Agusta 3 cylinder bikes at deep discounts.

It looks like MV's dealer network is even worse than Guzzi's. As Guzzi owners, I know you guys don't put a lot of weight to the dealer networks but would this be a deal killer for you?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:07:50 PM by flip »
North Carolina

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
Re: Would you buy an MV Agusta?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »
I would not. I've seen one being worked on, and it does not look like fun. If I were in the market for a smaller triple, I'd be at the Triumph dealership.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 06:04:25 PM »
The Kid had the hots for an MV "dragster" a few year back. Being a dutiful parent, I went and looked at it with him.   :smiley: Beautiful thing, and it just fit both of us. We are Italian sized.
I looked at him and asked if he trusted that pimple faced kid that cross threads your spark plugs to trouble shoot it when an electrical gremlin showed up? "You *won't* be able to fix it, you know.."
He walked, as would I.. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 08:14:27 PM »
No.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 08:14:27 PM »

Offline TDF

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 08:55:05 PM »
Cant speak to the triples, but I own a 2002 F4 750.  Bought it in pieces spread out all over a garage floor.  Spent the next 5 months putting it back together.  Ended up becoming intimately familiar with an MV in the process.  Excellent service manuals are available for the four cylinder.  You might look into that for the triple.  I was quite impressed with build quality and though it's obviously more cramped to work on than a Guzzi.  It still beats any car I've ever worked on.  Its 2 years newer than my Guzzi V11 and has maybe 6000 fewer miles at 14k, but ive had way more electrical gremlins, poor running issues, speedo cable issues, overheating issues with the goose.  Other than one fuel line that gave up due to ethanol fuels I presume, I've had no other issues.  Dang things are a work of art and I put it in my house for the winter.  Just enjoy looking at it.  Plus the soundtrack when on full song is worth the price of admission.  I enjoy the MV for much of the same reasons I enjoy my Guzzis.  I also do all my own work so lack of dealer network has never been an issue.

TDF
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:01:50 PM by TDF »
2000 V11 Sport
2002 MV Agusta F4 750
2000 KTM 640 Duke II
1966 Ducati Sebring 350
1965 Ducati Bronco 125
1958 MDS Super Dart 70
1966 Honda CL77
1949 Ariel VB 600
1983 Husqvarna WR430
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star
1973 Suzuki TS125
68 & 73 CT90's
Plus a whole herd of parts bikes
Emerald NE

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 09:47:07 PM »
No.  For reasons stated.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 10:38:42 PM »
 There is an orthopedic surgeon in the OKC area who owns two of them . He also owns at least two Japanese sport bikes , in other words , he has a large reserve of money . He told me that owning an MV Agusta required either being a master mechanic , or a large wallet . They are lovely things to look at , and the trips sound wonderful . Buy the Triumph .

Dusty

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 12:19:06 AM »
why not?
they are work of art  i would love to own one
a friend has one with over 70000 miles on the clock  with hardly any issues
if you want a sensible bike  get a 10 year old k100 or a yam 900 diversion 
motorcycles are not sensible! 
so buy you dream and live with the consequences

Offline 12SCraig

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 01:09:24 AM »

Go for it !!

I used to own a F4 750 Brutale. It was awesome! Light, Very fast, and brakes and handling a guzzi rider could only dream of.
(very sexy too)

I wouldn't think twice about buying another one.

Offline Smithy

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 01:32:12 AM »
Go for it !!

I used to own a F4 750 Brutale. It was awesome! Light, Very fast, and brakes and handling a guzzi rider could only dream of.
(very sexy too)

I wouldn't think twice about buying another one.

Me too..great bike.
2021 BMW GS 1250
2015 California Custom - Sold
1976 KTM Jackpiner
1929 Rudge 500

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 03:36:25 AM »
If you were to spend some time on the MV forums reading the (3cyl-related) tech pages, I doubt you'd even consider one.  They've persistent issues with the (starter) sprag/clutch, battery & electricals, overheating, vibration-induced cracking to the subframe/No. plate support - and more recently, multiple dropped-valve/cyl-head failures.  Offer me one @ half price, and it's more than I'd pay (..and this from a - former! - MV enthusiast, and MV forum member for many years).  If I had to have a Cagiva/MV, it would be something they built before they cut their costs to the bone: ie. an early F4.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 07:36:15 AM »

I would.

You only live once.

:bike-037:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 08:32:49 AM »
The thing that would discourage me from buying a Cagiva-built MV is frequent changes in design since ‘98, combined with relatively poor parts supply that is traditional for the manufacturer.  I don’t know anybody including the people from whom I’d be buying parts who is intimately familiar with the changes from year to year... 

Otherwise they are interesting bikes, just about the only Italian built bike that hasn’t succumbed to commercial pressure and lost its Italian, artistic character.  I would buy one in the right circumstances, for the pleasure of owning it, but not as my only bike, nor for daily use.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 08:40:53 AM »
If you were to spend some time on the MV forums reading the (3cyl-related) tech pages, I doubt you'd even consider one.  They've persistent issues with the (starter) sprag/clutch, battery & electricals, overheating, vibration-induced cracking to the subframe/No. plate support - and more recently, multiple dropped-valve/cyl-head failures.  Offer me one @ half price, and it's more than I'd pay (..and this from a - former! - MV enthusiast, and MV forum member for many years).  If I had to have a Cagiva/MV, it would be something they built before they cut their costs to the bone: ie. an early F4.

On the other hand, if you spent some time on the Moto Guzzi forums (including this one), you'd never buy a Moto Guzzi either.

Problems, problems, problems - Startus Interruptus, ungreased bearings, flaking chrome bores, broken generator mounts, failing dashboards, failing oil pumps, flaking engine paint, single-plate-clutch failures, flat-tappet failures, hydraulic lifter failures, the list goes on.

You'll probably find the same for ANY model of bike.   

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 08:47:59 AM »
Cant speak to the triples, but I own a 2002 F4 750.  Bought it in pieces spread out all over a garage floor.  Spent the next 5 months putting it back together.  Ended up becoming intimately familiar with an MV in the process. 
TDF

You sound (very positively) like a friend of mine.   I used to ride a motorcycle to work every day, and he got interested.   He'd never owned a motorcycle before.   He asked some advice about what kind to get, and I gave him the usual "start slow" advice.

He went out and bought a non-running Yamaha V-Max!

He bought a set of manuals and about $200 worth of critical special tools, and slowly and methodically took it down to every component piece it had, crankshaft-out.   He cleaned and repaired every bit of it, brought everything up to spec, and slowly and methodically put it back together.   

When it was done, it was like a new bike, started on the first turn, AND he knows everything there is to know about a Yamaha V-Max.

This definitely isn't for everyone, but he had a great time with it, learned a lot about an esoteric subject, and had something fun to do every free evening for 6 months ..... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Rusnak_322

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 08:48:29 AM »
Me? No way.

My wife on the other hand is probably going to get a Brutale this summer or next. It is either that or a used Ducati 1098 Streetfighter, but they seem to be holding their values way to well.
1975 Moto Guzzi 850T - café racer in progress
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 08:54:30 AM »
No, probably not.

If I were tempted to pick up an Italian triple, I'd get the best Laverda RGS or SFC 1000 I could find. Pretty straight forward, easily maintained.

Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 09:21:23 AM »
If the money is free and clear, and you want it... then go for it.

So, it needs a ton of work and black thumb. Big deal... so does almost every single vintage bike in existence now. Bikes aren't about logic. If it calls to you, and you really want it, and you're going into it eyes wide open, then do it.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 09:26:31 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.

A while back, I visited my local MV Agusta dealer. I sat on a new 800 3 cylinder Brutale and a 2012 4 cylinder Brutale R 1090. The 3 cylinder Brutale felt tiny, really too small for me. The 4 cylinder Brutale felt small also but not cramped like the 800. The 800 Rivale and Stradale look to be much roomier than the 800 Brutale so they are what I am more interested in. I saw an 800 Rivale at Deals Gap last year. It looks even better in person than in photos.

Though I must say, a used 4 cylinder Brutale, whether 750 or larger might be worth considering. But, I've never owned a 3 cylinder bike so...

I think a Triumph would be a more logical choice. A new Yamaha 3 cylinder would be a "no brainer" if logic was most important. But, there is just something special about Italian motorcycles that appeals to me.
North Carolina

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »
Negative, Ghostrider.  Never.  Ever.  Nor would I buy a newer Laverda or Benelli.  Any of the three will spend more time gathering dust in your garage or a shop being worked on then you will ride them. 

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 09:38:54 AM »
On the other hand, if you spent some time on the Moto Guzzi forums (including this one), you'd never buy a Moto Guzzi either.

Problems, problems, problems - Startus Interruptus, ungreased bearings, flaking chrome bores, broken generator mounts, failing dashboards, failing oil pumps, flaking engine paint, single-plate-clutch failures, flat-tappet failures, hydraulic lifter failures, the list goes on.

You'll probably find the same for ANY model of bike.   

Lannis
+1.  Lol..and my Guzzi V7 was the only new bike I'd ever purchased that came with an oil leak. 

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 09:47:00 AM »
No.  For reasons stated.

Agree 100% - A beautiful, Italian motorcycle for sure,  :thumb: :cool:(...like a two wheeled Ferrari), but highly impractical...and expensive to own and maintain.  :shocked: :rolleyes: :wink:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:48:56 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 10:37:08 AM »
A friend bought a new F4. It is drop-dead gorgeous and a joy to ride. He's only on his second set of tires, so still enjoying that new-bike experience and under full warranty. Sadly, the beast does a lot of commuter duty and only the occasional sport ride.

I would buy an F4 as a toy... but not as a primary rider. I went out with him a while ago on my Ducati ST3. I think the ST3 is a superior bike for "real-world" conditions - more comfortable and more capable of dealing with the irregularities of less-then-track-quality asphalt.

I think that between an F3 and the Triumph triple, I would go with the Triumph.

My bottom line advice: if the MV calls to you (and you have the "play money" available), buy a used one and enjoy it for a while. I'm sure you can resell it without losing too much if you decide that you don't like it.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline poorBob

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 10:43:16 AM »
Would I buy an Italian motorcycle that required patience to sort but once sorted, made me smile when I rode it?

If it was made by Moto Guzzi, yes.

If it was made by MV Agusta, yes.

I rode a Rivale in the mountains last year and it was a hoot! Terrific exhaust note and sharper handling than even my Aprilia. If I had the cash, YES!

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 11:15:14 AM »
NO!

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »
Yes!  The things are so beautiful I would would just be happy looking at it.  I may even keep it in the house so that I can look at it when I am not riding it. 
Of course, the wife would move out or throw me out... :laugh:

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 11:59:50 AM »
Not again but liked the one I had.
Mine was an SR 750, which is an SPR but with the nice red and silver paint.
Had no dramas whatsoever.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2019, 03:31:37 PM »
I'd buy one if I were in the sporty bike market. Almost did-early F4. I sometimes wish I had.

Offline TDF

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2019, 03:48:55 PM »
Yes!  The things are so beautiful I would would just be happy looking at it.  I may even keep it in the house so that I can look at it when I am not riding it. 
Of course, the wife would move out or throw me out... :laugh:

What he said.  Of course I'm not married. 
TDF

2000 V11 Sport
2002 MV Agusta F4 750
2000 KTM 640 Duke II
1966 Ducati Sebring 350
1965 Ducati Bronco 125
1958 MDS Super Dart 70
1966 Honda CL77
1949 Ariel VB 600
1983 Husqvarna WR430
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star
1973 Suzuki TS125
68 & 73 CT90's
Plus a whole herd of parts bikes
Emerald NE

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2019, 03:54:23 PM »
That is awesome!!! 
TDF

TDF

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here