Author Topic: Like button  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
Like button
« on: February 11, 2024, 06:26:57 AM »
In soliciting suggestions for modifications in 2024, a suggestion was the addition of a "like" button. Kinda 'Facebooky", but the premise of it is to show support for a post without posting something.

We had it here a few years ago but it was chastised into oblivion for various reasons. It was also supported for various reasons.

So, to keep my word and actually look into all of these suggestions, I'd like to know your thoughts on bringing the like button back.

Thanks,
Luap
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Like button
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 06:38:30 AM »
I like the "like" myself. You might not have anything to say about a post, but gives a way to show support of it. We went through the same thing at a site I help run, and got a lot of flack at the start. We got a lot of the "its like facebook"commonts, but once people saw that it didnt really take away anything, the posts were still coming, just less of the basic one or two word replies. Only really difference on that board was the poster did get a notification, that really turned out to be not a huge deal. I don't think we had a complaint on it in years.
Paul B

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 06:44:29 AM »
Likes or +1s can also help trim down unnecessary comments and ultimately the length of threads. Facebook does have some good things about it. Plus, why NOT have a feature that shows a stupidly simple sign of support?
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 08:10:18 AM »
Likes or +1s can also help trim down unnecessary comments and ultimately the length of threads. Facebook does have some good things about it. Plus, why NOT have a feature that shows a stupidly simple sign of support?

:thumb:

(To add to the post)
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 08:10:18 AM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 08:35:53 AM »
i LIKE it

The Like button here was really shortlived! I feel like we had it less than a month? but it has its uses and a place.  Just please dont send an email to me anytime someone 'likes' my post and I would love to see it back
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 08:40:01 AM »
"LIKE" button? Sounds like something left over from a grade school student's need of validation provided by his peers.

But if you must simplify a post response to a simple push of a button instead of an author generated response please make it least binary and add a "DISLIKE" button as a second option.

And since life isn't always black or white there could be a "MEH" button to reflect the fact the posters work was read and considered of no significant value whatsoever.

(Or everything could be left as is and anyone who felt strongly about a post could type so and why. Excess Bytes of text certainly are not a problem in this terabyte world.)
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 09:04:27 AM »
Oh
I got smacked down for liking the like button last time! I like the idea of bringing the like button back. I like it!

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 09:09:18 AM »
I like the LIKE button!  Many times is seems redundant and tiresome to post that you approve or like something a WG member has posted.  The option to like the post would be great. 
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Craig in Alabama

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 09:16:35 AM »
22 V85TT Travel
98 V11EV
05 Suzuki DL-650

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 09:19:10 AM »
I too,like the “ Like “ button idea.
I use it on other forums to agree with an answer.
Instead of repeating what 5 other people just said.
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 09:20:08 AM »
Another benefit to the LIKE button besides trimming the responses and overall thread length—the threads aren’t continuously bumped to the top just for simple nods of approval.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 10:32:31 AM by Dirk_S »

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 09:22:18 AM »
Like button is a nice feature...most forums have it, subtle and easy way to show support.

Other forums have little Icons you can use:
Laugh
Confused
Sad

Probably too much, but a Like button would be nice!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2024, 09:30:55 AM »
Like it  :thumb:
inditx

This is the day.....

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2024, 09:40:14 AM »
As a spokesman for the Button family, I fully endorse the addition of the Like Button to WildGuzzi as a logical component of our quest for total world domination.   

There are persistent rumors of attempts to add a Like Smith or Like Patel to various websites.  No proof of such efforts, much less successful examples of implementation, have yet to be verified.  Instead, the Like Button has set the standard for showing support and positive reinforcement or lack thereof.  It is our great privilege to contribute some level of logical function to forums around the world.

Thank you.

Respectfully, AC Button

P.S.  Please refer to our comparable success with our On & Off Button, A/C Button (my favorite- very cool…),Panic Button and Easy Button programs as needed.

Seriously,  another (relatively small) forum I enjoy went through transition to tapatalk.  Non-text Responses including Like Button were added.  It’s gone well.  There is a small notation under a member’s avatar showing how many likes they’ve given, along with how many posts they’ve made.  I don’t think the Likes counter is necessary, but that’s just my opinion.  Being able to click a like vs typing support is a plus imho.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Online Zenermaniac

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2024, 09:49:13 AM »
I agree with Mayor_of_BBQ. Bring back the like button but don’t email me every time someone clicks it. I get a couple hundred emails a day to weed through as it is.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2024, 09:51:40 AM »
i LIKE it

The Like button here was really shortlived! I feel like we had it less than a month? but it has its uses and a place.  Just please dont send an email to me anytime someone 'likes' my post and I would love to see it back

I just clicked the like button.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2024, 09:54:12 AM »
easier than typing a smiley face ;  :>)!!

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2024, 09:55:36 AM »
"LIKE" button? Sounds like something left over from a grade school student's need of validation provided by his peers.

But if you must simplify a post response to a simple push of a button instead of an author generated response please make it least binary and add a "DISLIKE" button as a second option.

And since life isn't always black or white there could be a "MEH" button to reflect the fact the posters work was read and considered of no significant value whatsoever.

(Or everything could be left as is and anyone who felt strongly about a post could type so and why. Excess Bytes of text certainly are not a problem in this terabyte world.)

Amen!  I REALLY LIKE this response!

But, in the name of "added value," and simulating the actual complexity of life, how about a numerical score?  0 thru 100?

Kinda "like" you are back in school taking a test!

100 is a really "LIKE" score, 0 is a really "DISLIKE" score, and 50 is a "MEH" score!

In all seriousness, I don't have any strong opinions on this, other than I suspect it may cause more headaches for the moderators.  I would suspect the reduction of effort to post a response increases discord on the internet.  If everyone had to pay a dime, or do 5 pushups, each time they post, I think all internet forums would be much nicer.

I think the emoji's already have enough "instantaneous responses" covered.

Hopefully, most members here are posting to share knowledge or gain knowledge than to seek approval.  It's a tough world out there!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 10:02:38 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2024, 10:00:02 AM »
As a spokesman for the Button family, I fully endorse the addition of the Like Button to WildGuzzi as a logical component of our quest for total world domination.   

There are persistent rumors of attempts to add a Like Smith or Like Patel to various websites.  No proof of such efforts, much less successful examples of implementation, have yet to be verified.  Instead, the Like Button has set the standard for showing support and positive reinforcement or lack thereof.  It is our great privilege to contribute some level of logical function to forums around the world.

Thank you.

Respectfully, AC Button

P.S.  Please refer to our comparable success with our On & Off Button, A/C Button (my favorite- very cool…),Panic Button and Easy Button programs as needed.

Seriously,  another (relatively small) forum I enjoy went through transition to tapatalk.  Non-text Responses including Like Button were added.  It’s gone well.  There is a small notation under a member’s avatar showing how many likes they’ve given, along with how many posts they’ve made.  I don’t think the Likes counter is necessary, but that’s just my opinion.  Being able to click a like vs typing support is a plus imho.

Since I just knocked out 5 pushups as preemptive penance.....

How about an E-STOP button?

Or a "button your lips" button?  No offense intended to the Zipper family...... 
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline motogoro

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2024, 10:06:15 AM »
 :thumb:  <----  this is all I need.   A "like" button may cut down on inane discourse.  However, aren't we here to 'discuss' Guzzi topics.  Tangents and off topic comments can be very entertaining.   :wink:
Steve M. in SE WI
WMGR 193
MGNOC L-553

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2024, 10:31:33 AM »
I like like!
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2024, 10:47:04 AM »
:thumb:  <----  this is all I need.   A "like" button may cut down on inane discourse.  However, aren't we here to 'discuss' Guzzi topics.  Tangents and off topic comments can be very entertaining.   :wink:

I don’t think it cuts down on discourse. It cuts down on redundant :thumb: responses that tend to populate a thread and can over time make some of the topics annoying—perhaps unbearable—to read through at a future date; it can be bad enough with overly generic or misleading subject lines like “What are your Thoughts” or “Oh No I Did It Again…”, but while related to inefficiency of our attention, I suppose that’s more a friendly reminder on forum etiquette. Besides, a thread does NOT need to be bumped over other, potentially more engaging, topics, just because someone wanted to add a “+1” comment

It’s kinda like nodding your head while someone is talking, rather than interrupting them just to tell them that you agree, “…now please continue talking.”

Or reviving a 5 year old topic with an unnecessary “Thanks for this!”—hit the Like button on someone’s comment; no need to revive the post for something so menial.

…And it would probably (maybe) cut down on my own responses, which is a positive for EVERYONE.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 10:55:31 AM by Dirk_S »

Online faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2024, 11:15:27 AM »
I like i like, or thumbs up, function. It can also be a useful indicator to a person posting if the content is of interest to others, or not. Often, you can post something many like (or not) that does not naturally lend itself to replies or comments, but that could be easy to give feedback to with a like button.
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline guzziboy66

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2024, 11:26:01 AM »
The younger (slightly) Eric in NJ
Frenchtown, NJ

'14 GRiSO 1200 8V SE (I got her back!)
'14 Norge 1200 8V GT
'97 SPoRT 1100 (My first Guzzi has come home to me)
'98 Ducati 900 SS FE
'96 Sport 1100 Carbi (Gone but still in the family)

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2024, 11:47:00 AM »
I like i like, or thumbs up, function. It can also be a useful indicator to a person posting if the content is of interest to others, or not. Often, you can post something many like (or not) that does not naturally lend itself to replies or comments, but that could be easy to give feedback to with a like button.

'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2024, 12:02:37 PM »
There is a downside to a like button. If someone doesn't get many likes, they could get their feelings hurt. Most wouldn't care, but some would.

I do like the like button. Quick and easy way to say I agree to a post. The " :thumb:" also works just fine.

Just sayin',
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline coast range rider

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2024, 12:45:04 PM »
There is a downside to a like button. If someone doesn't get many likes, they could get their feelings hurt. Most wouldn't care, but some would.

I do like the like button. Quick and easy way to say I agree to a post. The " :thumb:" also works just fine.

Just sayin',
Tom
Tom, "feelings hurt" from too few likes on a forum??? Really? This proves we need a dislike button too, for inane posts like yours. Why should I have to quote a dumb post just to post this:  :violent1:

Tom, I'm sorry I had to use your post as an example. Please grow some if I've hurt your feelings. And don't worry about my agression with new buttons here because I tend to be more of a laugh button guy on other forums.
2017 Stelvio
2002 V11 LeMans

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2024, 01:10:56 PM »
CRR: Did anywhere in my post say that "I" get my feelings hurt if people don't click a like to one of my posts? NO I didn't.

There are some that would go crying to mommy that nobody likes my posts. Those people might give very good answers to questions, but don't get the likes they think they should. So they leave that board.

I look at likes 2 ways. It's nice to see that someone appreciated what I had to say. And also I don't give a rats rear end if someone likes my post or not.

I would think that most people here have been around the block and have thick enough skin for a like to not matter.

Tom
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 01:19:06 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Online ridingron

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2024, 02:49:34 PM »
I'm on about a half dozen forums (not facebook). And although I may agree with, approve of, find useful, interesting or maybe even like, I do not recall ever hitting the "like" icon for any post. Even on joke threads.

If it makes you feel good, go for it. Just wondering what it'll cost/take to add it.

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2024, 03:51:31 PM »
Whichever is less worrying/work for moderators? So…a period of using it to found out. 90 grace period to see if it blows up with issues?
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here