Author Topic: Riding a Pan America  (Read 9169 times)

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
Re: Riding a Pan America
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2021, 06:28:02 PM »
I stand up occasionally on all my bikes. Usually to stretch my legs and back after a bunch of miles and also to rest my backside. I actually think it is a comfortable position on my GS and dirt bikes.

I just sold my GS to downsize on the adventure bike tool. If I was in the market for another big one (had a 1200GS and a Stelvio) I would definitely look at the PA (other than the Griso, I'm going all Blue). Was happy to read Timmy's ride report and impressions of the bike. Sounds like the bike is as good riding as it is on paper.

After having a GS for 6 years and 50,000+ miles and 4 Guzzi's for over 100,000 miles combined, I understand the "cost of ownership" thing. I don't think a new HD owner has that much to worry about.

Here's to HD for getting this bike right, so far!   :bow:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2021, 07:00:52 PM »
Your point?

You've never walked into any other type of dealership in your life and been blown off by a salesperson?  Ever? 

Did you ask where the owner was?  If a salesperson doesn't want to do their job, I ask for the owner or general manager. That is where you get the true feel for the business.  Not some person that might not even ride.  Sounds like you weren't really that interested.

Wait!

You're point was just the opposite

I have never been ignored at a dealership, unless I want to be.

That's what you said the first time.  Now you say that you've been blown off.  WTF????? ??

Get out.  Not wasting time with you.    :whip2:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2021, 07:02:24 PM »
I stand up occasionally on all my bikes. Usually to stretch my legs and back after a bunch of miles and also to rest my backside. I actually think it is a comfortable position on my GS and dirt bikes.

I just sold my GS to downsize on the adventure bike tool. If I was in the market for another big one (had a 1200GS and a Stelvio) I would definitely look at the PA (other than the Griso, I'm going all Blue). Was happy to read Timmy's ride report and impressions of the bike. Sounds like the bike is as good riding as it is on paper.

After having a GS for 6 years and 50,000+ miles and 4 Guzzi's for over 100,000 miles combined, I understand the "cost of ownership" thing. I don't think a new HD owner has that much to worry about.

Here's to HD for getting this bike right, so far!   :bow:

c'mon,  790 Tenere or 790 KTM or Honda Africa Corps? 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Solorider73

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2021, 07:40:08 PM »
I'm not surprised that it handles well and hides its weight.  Manufacturers are getting better at lowering weight and hiding the weight of modern bikes.  Harley has sufficient cash flow and resources to make any kind of bike they want, so it's not surprising that they were able pull it off.
Current Stable
2019 MG V7 lll Stone
2020 MG V85TT Adventure
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2021, 07:40:08 PM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2021, 07:42:54 PM »
I stand on the pegs rarely but occasionally while at slow speeds, like going through a town while on a long ride. The only reasons for this riding position is to either cool and relieve my butt, stretch my legs, or pull my britches legs back down. I could care less if it impresses or offends anyone else as long as it fix’s my issues at the time.
As far as the PA HD I’ll definitely take a serious look at them in June when my local dealer says they’ll be out.

Zackly! I stand on the Tiger quite a bit. Soreness begins when blood flow is restricted, standing relieves that. I'm way beyond trying to impress anyone. And I've done plenty of riding on the pegs on trials bikes. It's pretty natural feeling to me.

Glad to see a good report on the Harley, I like dual sport bikes. Functionality makes more sense than looks on these machines.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 07:45:26 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2021, 08:19:16 PM »

Here is a good article.  Of course because I am an addict, I have the low boil interest in my blood, 'but then I see her face (and pricetag)'  :cool:

https://www.cycleworld.com/breaking-down-harley-davidson-pan-america-frame-by-frame/
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2021, 08:30:29 PM »
Wait!

You're point was just the opposite

I have never been ignored at a dealership, unless I want to be.

That's what you said the first time.  Now you say that you've been blown off.  WTF????? ??

Get out.  Not wasting time with you.    :whip2:

So my phone turned I'd into I, but play your games.   :violent1:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2021, 08:37:46 PM »
Jeez. Harley brings out the worst in everyone  :evil:
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2021, 08:41:37 PM »
The point is, don’t ride a Harley, no matter how ugly it is.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Solorider73

• Gosling
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2021, 08:43:51 PM »
  I just can't make some of you happy , first you complain I'm to serious , then you complain when I attempt to be funny .

Dusty

It's the internet.  Everyone turns into your bipolar cousin.

Also, I keep having to relearn that sarcasm doesn't translate well in text.

Keeping it on topic, I hope the Pan America becomes one of HD's best sellers.  It would give them more freedom to step out of the cruiser box.  A company like HD can do both.
Current Stable
2019 MG V7 lll Stone
2020 MG V85TT Adventure
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2021, 08:46:46 PM »
Only a Harley thread can go three pages in a day.  I’m not a huge fan, nor am I a fan of pure sports bikes or big touring rigs.  I do like watching what HD is doing, and they and Royal Enfield seem to be really working at getting interesting bikes out there.  Good for them.  As for standing on the pegs, I thought everyone did it.  I’m guessing those of who learned in the dirt are more likely. It’s pretty handy when the road gets wonky.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2021, 05:09:22 AM »
You know, I find the look of the PanAm to be almost refreshing compared to all the bird beak bikes.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2021, 05:42:41 AM »
Back to the point of the original post, that the bike is FAR BETTER than expected is a revelation. It's possible that HD has finally had a real paradigm shift and is now building real performance motorcycles on their own? I'm looking forward to seeing some additional road tests and one at my local dealer.

Looks like the Pan America is just the first step in a long overdue diversification of their lineup. At $20K it had better be.  They'll need some additional models at lower price points if they really expect to lure more riders to the brand to address their aging demographic problem. Wishing HD all the best with their attempt to remain competitive and a viable US based manufacturer.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2021, 07:57:52 AM »
and I have ridden litterally thousands.

Hmmm, that sounds like a stretch. I've ridden a *lot* of bikes over the last 60 some years, but I seriously doubt I'd crack 100.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2021, 08:11:19 AM »
Hmmm, that sounds like a stretch. I've ridden a *lot* of bikes over the last 60 some years, but I seriously doubt I'd crack 100.
  I ridden maybe a few dozen, none newer than 2006 and  one Japanese road bike, yet I could comment on junk new Harleys .... :grin:

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2021, 09:03:45 AM »
I don't know... can I stick a batwing on there?   :grin:  Seriously, though, I am ready to ride one of these!
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline timmythecop

• New Egg
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2021, 09:04:06 AM »
There is a bike repair shop in the family.
I am a retired police motor sergeant.
I test ride motorcycles for a living now.

Thousands.
1980 1000SP
1978 850 T3
2000 VFR800Fi
2015 Harley FLHTPi
2005 Harley XLH1200R
1995 BMW R1100GS
1992 BMW K75S
1981 Suzuki GS450T

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2021, 09:15:08 AM »
I'm not as concerned about the bike as I am their new CEO.  He's indicated (with his so-called "rewire" plan) he wants to double-down on Harleys core constituents, and sell big expensive bikes with high margins.  The first thing he did as CEO was drop (or at least slow way down..time will tell) the Bronx and other models based around the new engine.  I seriously suspect he would liked to have killed the Pan America, but development was too far along. He's cut lots of other mainstay models from the air-cooled line up as well.  I think his turn-around plan of "sell less-and-less for more-and-more" is absolutely the wrong way to go, but the board of directors didn't ask me.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2021, 09:24:45 AM »
I'm not as concerned about the bike as I am their new CEO. >SNIP<

Primary reason why I sold my HD stock. Doesn't sound like they're looking much beyond the next quarter's profits despite rolling out a revolutionary (for them) model. Hoping the Pan Am is a HUGE success and it wakes the big wigs up.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2021, 09:39:53 AM »
I'm not as concerned about the bike as I am their new CEO.  He's indicated (with his so-called "rewire" plan) he wants to double-down on Harleys core constituents, and sell big expensive bikes with high margins.  The first thing he did as CEO was drop (or at least slow way down..time will tell) the Bronx and other models based around the new engine.  I seriously suspect he would liked to have killed the Pan America, but development was too far along. He's cut lots of other mainstay models from the air-cooled line up as well.  I think his turn-around plan of "sell less-and-less for more-and-more" is absolutely the wrong way to go, but the board of directors didn't ask me.

I think I disagree. I’m not a business expert, so the numbers game and where dollars are allocated is ultimately beyond me, so consider this only as an abstract understanding...

From what I read, the CEO wants to focus on high end bikes, rather than economical budget bikes. They’re not saying they want to go all cruisers, but rather bikes made of quality. So no more Street 500/750, no more entry level, no more...Sportster? No more sub-$10k bikes. These bikes are American-made, and American-made products aren’t known for being cheap, so why bother trying to cut corners? Let the Royal Enfields and Japanese bikes et al compete for the budget bikes. Harley’s in it to save themselves, and they’re biggest competitor for what they do - American V-twins - is Indian. Polaris/Indian has been gaining due to both styling and performance, as well as a successful track-inspired bike. Harley’s looking to compete with them, because if they focus on budget bikes (and let’s be honest - standard/neutral-seating-positioned bikes are the bikes you’ll find in that economical category), they won’t gain ground. Focus on quality, less quantity. ADV bikes are still hot. They may be a hair late to the game, but they’re ahead of Indian. The ADV crowd likes to spend money on products they don’t really need... or don’t mind paying a higher price for. They put out a quality product in this in regards to parts, electronics, and engineering. This is the first platform for the engine. More will come. I’m willing to bet that Bronx will come into action, but they can’t go show all their hand right away.

I’d LOVE to see Harley go cheaper, but it just doesn’t make sense unless they direct manufacturing to a cheaper labor force. And I don’t think the U.S. government or HD employees will be all too happy if they do that. They best be smart to think “well, if we’re not gonna out out cheap product, we best put out really GOOD product.” Nobody asks for a budget-friendly MV Augusta.

Stream-of conscience rant over. Feel free to tear apart.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:51:43 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2021, 09:55:27 AM »
I don't get all this gushing over HD?  Maybe the Pan Am is a very good adventure bike, it should be.  Why are so many surprised that it's possible?

Really, the idea that its a huge weight off their shoulders to show they can do something on par with others in the industry is dumb.  HD has huge resources to pull from, they can buy anyone they need to make a good adv bike if needed.

Some of you are getting carried away in a river of Kool Aid, "a Paradigm shift"???

One guy apparently rode one, the guy who "literally has ridden "thousands" of motorcycles" :rolleyes:   Think about that, how long would it take to ride just 2000 motorcycles?   But hey, Timmy said so, so who are we too question? He says it so incredible  it can't possibly weigh well over 500, must only be 400 and some change!   
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2021, 09:57:21 AM »
The point is, don’t ride a Harley, no matter how ugly it is.

Now that there’s funny I don't care who you are...  :smiley:
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline timmythecop

• New Egg
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2021, 10:17:51 AM »

One guy apparently rode one, the guy who "literally has ridden "thousands" of motorcycles" :rolleyes:   Think about that, how long would it take to ride just 2000 motorcycles?   But hey, Timmy said so, so who are we too question? He says it so incredible  it can't possibly weigh well over 500, must only be 400 and some change!   

Well. If i rode 5 bikes a day(i do)......there are 260 work days in a year, so in 2 years that would be 2600 bikes. 

But that is beside the point. The real point is you are so smart, that you uncovered my diabolical plan to come onto an obscure italian bike forum to lie about riding an american bike, then lie about how many bikes I have been on. For good measure, I embellished how good it was. You got me.

The bike wieghs 534 pounds with fuel. I stated that above.

The point some lesser folks are getting is Harley Davidson has made a fantastic, potentially industy leading bike, after decades of good ideas with terrible execution and missing the plot.
1980 1000SP
1978 850 T3
2000 VFR800Fi
2015 Harley FLHTPi
2005 Harley XLH1200R
1995 BMW R1100GS
1992 BMW K75S
1981 Suzuki GS450T

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2021, 10:19:12 AM »
You know, I find the look of the PanAm to be almost refreshing compared to all the bird beak bikes.

Sarah

Agreed.

On the ADV bike homeliness scale, with the fetching V85 being a 1 and the googley-eyed GS being a 10, I'd say the PA rates maybe a 4.

The KTMs are an 11.

Glad to hear the good review. Someone at Harley knew they needed to hit it out of the park in order to have a snowball's chance. No one is gonna cut them any slack on this.

Even so, it'll be an uphill climb, I fear. Will Harley be willing to shepherd this thing into a solid market position? They haven't always demonstrated that kind of patience in the past.

I'd say both prior viewpoints discerning HD Corporate's strategy have merits, but the incentive to just "run home to mama" with the big cruisers must be considerable.
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2021, 10:21:26 AM »
Boy Harley really gets people riled up!

I'll just be over here standing on my pegs and letting the wind gently rustle my nards
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2021, 10:25:46 AM »
I suspect the Bronx was held back to prevent it from stealing the spotlight from the PA. If (when) they release it next year after the death of the Sportster, H-D will have remained in the headlines for two years strait.  Most of the advertising they are getting now is free and comes in the form of online reviews, You-Tube videos and forum discussions like this. It would be wise to capitalize on it and spread it out a bit.

Also, announcing the death of Sportster now would make selling current inventory that much more difficult. 

With that being said, I'm not sure I'd call the Tiger 800 "feathery". Triumph said the 800 was 474lbs. H-D has the base PA at 530lbs. The OP's guesstimate that it "feels 100lbs lighter than it is" seem pretty accurate to me when you consider that it has 50% more horsepower than the 800. Enough HP will make almost anything feel feathery.

I've been visiting lots of dealers lately and there is virtually nothing in stock. Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda are all having supply/production issues. I've been looking at V-Strom 1050's but at this rate the PA may arrive first. My Versys will never be worth more than it is right now. I'm getting very excited about the PA. .

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 10:50:33 AM by Seventy One »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2021, 11:27:28 AM »
Boy Harley really gets people riled up!

I'll just be over here standing on my pegs and letting the wind gently rustle my nards

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2021, 11:50:18 AM »
Thanks for posting you first hand account of riding the bike. First on I have read. :bike-037:
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2021, 11:52:18 AM »
I agree with Sarah on the looks.

As for H-D, well, THAT'S quite a conversation, but remember:  they sell over 200,000 bikes a year.  The issue isn't all about sales-it's about a horribly bloated corporate structure that can't make money selling 200,000 bikes a year.  ANY CEO should be aware of that.  That Levitich couldn't show the board how his plan would accomplish that they (the board) booted him and are trying a new plan.  They HAD to.  There is no way the Bronx experience won't show up in some form or fashion in the next few years for The MoCo.  Unknown is what it will be.  Sportster replacement, American sport bike?  For sure the motor work done on a wee bit smaller engine will surface in the near future.  They won't be able to meet EURO regs for that much longer and the twin cooled bikes have been accepted in great amounts by the faithful.  I know dozens of guys who have ridden or purchased the new motors and like them just fine.  More than not they like the motor more than what they have.  Not ALL-ok?  I know your brother-in law's brother -in -law won't be caught DEAD on no stinking water cooled bike-but hey, we know what happened to the dinosaurs!

It'll  be interesting for SURE and will be a classic business school example years out no matter which way it goes.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2021, 12:04:23 PM »
Back to the point of the original post, that the bike is FAR BETTER than expected is a revelation. It's possible that HD has finally had a real paradigm shift and is now building real performance motorcycles on their own? I'm looking forward to seeing some additional road tests and one at my local dealer.

Looks like the Pan America is just the first step in a long overdue diversification of their lineup. At $20K it had better be.  They'll need some additional models at lower price points if they really expect to lure more riders to the brand to address their aging demographic problem. Wishing HD all the best with their attempt to remain competitive and a viable US based manufacturer.

It's pretty ironic that the bike has gotten praise as a great design but they replaced the CEO that was responsible for it and killed some of the resulting follow-on models. 
John L 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here