Author Topic: Removing Textured Engine Paint - Aircraft Paint Remover?  (Read 556 times)

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
Removing Textured Engine Paint - Aircraft Paint Remover?
« on: August 14, 2022, 06:01:55 PM »
Thinking about giving it a try to remove the black textured engine paint on my Cali Stone.  Anyone tried it?  Should it work?  What would I use to scrape down into all the “cups” on the engine, screwdriver? 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Removing Textured Engine Paint - Aircraft Paint Remover?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 07:54:18 PM »
Aircraft stripper should work. If you can get the Methylene Chloride stuff it will work for sure. The new stuff will just take longer. Its just paint, not powdercoating.

Pete
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 08:45:19 PM by PeteS »

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 08:09:24 PM »
Aircraft paint stripper- the good stuff- works. Use plastic style scrapers of different sizes and a non metal bristle brush,  but most of the paint will come off by blasting it with a hose after the paint stripper has been on it for a while. Trial and error but you can’t really mess it up. It doesn’t take long to strip off the paint.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 02:58:42 AM »
I tried aircraft stripper on the wrinkle black engine paint on my first Guzzi. A 2001 Rosso Mandello. Guzzi would let you choose from new black engine cases under warranty, or a "settlement" of some carbon fiber accessories. I could not see tearing apart the engine , just for the cosmetic issue, so I chose the CF accessories.

I was able to pressure wash most of the wrinkly stuff away, a few stubborn areas came clean, with aircraft stripper applied by brush, then scrubbing with small brass brushes, and more power washing
I spray painted the engine cases, after carefully masking off where I didnt want paint, and then painted it with satin black rattle can paint made by VHT, that was chemical, and heat resistant.
It came out real nice, IMHO, looking like the newer smoother finish Guzzi applied to the 03-04 bikes.

"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 02:58:42 AM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 05:51:09 AM »
I was involved with carcinogens in the tool room at GM.   :rolleyes: Probably the cause of 2 different cancers I've dealt with. Aircraft paint stripper used to have methylene chloride..
https://saferchemicals.org/get-the-facts/toxic-chemicals/methylene-chloride/
but it has been banned. It *used* to work very well. Don't ask me how I know.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 05:55:35 AM »
I was involved with carcinogens in the tool room at GM.   :rolleyes: Probably the cause of 2 different cancers I've dealt with. Aircraft paint stripper used to have methylene chloride..
https://saferchemicals.org/get-the-facts/toxic-chemicals/methylene-chloride/
but it has been banned. It *used* to work very well. Don't ask me how I know.

Very sorry, Chuck. 
I see/hear “complaints” all the time about the new stuff not working as “well” as the old stuff but maybe sometimes that’s for the best. 
2020 T120 Bonneville

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here