Author Topic: Engine Noise (whining/squealing) after V7 Stone Oil Change?  (Read 13864 times)

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Engine Noise (whining/squealing) after V7 Stone Oil Change?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2015, 10:14:27 PM »
You are aware there are two drain plugs on the engine oil sump?  One in front, and one in back that's obscured by the evap cannister.  You didn't accidentally drain the tranny thinking that was the rear engine sump plug?  It's too much of a coincidence given your recent oil change.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Vasco DG

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2015, 02:00:29 AM »
If needs be I'd get a couple of unimpeachable witnesses and drain the gearbox while videoing it.

I had a Cali 1100 'Aniversary' edition that came to me for its first service, when it's gearbox drain plug was removed nothing came out, so when I drained the bevelbox I took a vid. Nothing came out of it either.

Owner called the shop he'd bought it from, they called me and said it couldn't of left their shop like that and anyway it was a warranty issue so it was my problem. Things went downhill rapidly from there but eventually they sent an apprentice up from Melbourne with a ute and took it away. I was asked to "Just put oil in it and see what happens." No way in the world was that gunna happen.

After it was eventually returned to the owner the bloke who worked on it called me and said "It didn't look too bad." I have no idea if they replaced anything or even did anything. Scared the shit out of me. Gladly it hasn't been back to my shop because I don't want to ever lay a spanner on it, as soon as I do it becomes 'My' problem. f*** that!

Pete

Offline Peter from Sch'dy

• Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2015, 06:43:18 AM »
When entering into a dealer agreement does Piagio certify the prowess of the dealer techs? "Factory trained" means distributor trained or, does the dealer certify the wrenches have been trained by a responsible party? Try to be nice but firm with the dealer. The first time they try to blame you or anyone else would be the last time I deal with them in any way. Point is dealer, in this case, apparently did this with poor to no prep but in my view Piagio is ultimately responsible for making this right. They will help you. They must!

Best,
Peter

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 07:39:02 AM »
It is a training put on by Piaggio to familiarize the techs w/their product. Usually 2-5 days depending on which products the dealer is selling. It does not teach you HOW to be a mechanic or give you ethics.
It also costs $, the main reason why dealers don't send anyone, or the owner of the shop goes not the wrenches.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 07:39:02 AM »

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »
You are aware there are two drain plugs on the engine oil sump?  One in front, and one in back that's obscured by the evap cannister.  You didn't accidentally drain the tranny thinking that was the rear engine sump plug?  It's too much of a coincidence given your recent oil change.

Shades of Mr. Nevada.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline ackattak

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2015, 07:17:12 PM »

Yes, I'm aware and I'm 99.9% sure I didn't drain the tranny by accident. It's in a different location and not directly connected to the sump. I found it afterwards and it wasn't the one I unscrewed.

It's low, and I'l drain and replace. It couldn't have been that bad because of the nearly 5,000kms without issue. I highly doubt 170mL ended up in there. I would've noticed that immediately.

Thanks, gents.

-A
Currently:
'14 MG V7 Stone

Previously:
'75 Honda CB360

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2015, 07:28:29 PM »
Yes, I'm aware and I'm 99.9% sure I didn't drain the tranny by accident. It's in a different location and not directly connected to the sump. I found it afterwards and it wasn't the one I unscrewed.

It's low, and I'l drain and replace. It couldn't have been that bad because of the nearly 5,000kms without issue. I highly doubt 170mL ended up in there. I would've noticed that immediately.

Thanks, gents.

-A

How would you have noticed it?

'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2015, 07:30:17 PM »
When entering into a dealer agreement does Piagio certify the prowess of the dealer techs? "Factory trained" means distributor trained or, does the dealer certify the wrenches have been trained by a responsible party? Try to be nice but firm with the dealer. The first time they try to blame you or anyone else would be the last time I deal with them in any way. Point is dealer, in this case, apparently did this with poor to no prep but in my view Piagio is ultimately responsible for making this right. They will help you. They must!

Best,
Peter

I've looked into doing local, 3rd-party work for a number of remote companies.  Many of them 'certify' their subcontractors by having the candidate pay for drug/criminal/deadbeat/financial/background checks.  If you pay for and pass those you qualify.  Technical expertise is often in the form of an 'open book' test on-line where the answers are literally spelled out for you.  Sometimes technical skills are not even mentioned. 

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2015, 07:30:52 PM »
Listen to Pete's experience.

If he says it could have survived 5k that low, and we've definitely seen "dealers" screw that up, make sure you have some witnesses and VIDEO THE DRAINING and MEASURING to make sure your warranty isn't jeopardized.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ackattak

• New Egg
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2015, 02:44:54 PM »
Listen to Pete's experience.

If he says it could have survived 5k that low, and we've definitely seen "dealers" screw that up, make sure you have some witnesses and VIDEO THE DRAINING and MEASURING to make sure your warranty isn't jeopardized.

My bad, missed the part where he mentioned it could have survived 5,000km that low.
I've got my hands on some proper gearbox oil and will set it right this evening.
Thank God I was close to home when the noise started. Probably only travelled a max of 2km to get her back to safety.
Currently:
'14 MG V7 Stone

Previously:
'75 Honda CB360

canuguzzi

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2015, 04:57:38 PM »
Have the bike trailered to another dealer, any dealer certified by the state to do repairs and have it drained there with video running.

If Moto Guzzi authorizes a dealer to sell and service, it doesn't matter one bit who got trained or who read the manual while sitting on the toilet, what matters is the reasonable expectation of a reasonable person buying the product and purchasing the service. MG is on the hook and everyone can dance until midnight, the bike gets attention and repaired. Who pays for it is irrelevant so long as the customer does not pay.

If someone suspects a failure and the bike is under warranty, digging around yourself is not smart.

It is possible for an owner, having a bike under warranty, to screw up things so much that they end up owning a mess too.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2015, 05:46:19 PM »
My bad, missed the part where he mentioned it could have survived 5,000km that low.
I've got my hands on some proper gearbox oil and will set it right this evening.
Thank God I was close to home when the noise started. Probably only travelled a max of 2km to get her back to safety.

If you add oil and don't document the current level, you may be on the hook of the transmission fails suddenly out of warranty.

Wasn't Pete of the opinion you should push to get it replaced NOW if it is low in order to prevent s possible catastrophic failure in use later?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ackattak

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2015, 05:56:11 PM »
If you add oil and don't document the current level, you may be on the hook of the transmission fails suddenly out of warranty.

Wasn't Pete of the opinion you should push to get it replaced NOW if it is low in order to prevent s possible catastrophic failure in use later?

Yes, he was.

But upon further inspection, I think whoever asked me earlier if I mistakenly drained the gearbox oil instead of my sump was entirely correct. That's what I did. Because I'm a n00b. I went to drain the box and it was empty so that was definitely the issue. Rookie mistake! Those empty valves are very close together!  :tongue:

I filled it up with a full litre of 85w90, took her out, and the noise is totally gone + the bike runs exactly as it did before.

Thanks again for the troubleshooting help, gentlemen. I learned some stuff!
Currently:
'14 MG V7 Stone

Previously:
'75 Honda CB360

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2015, 06:20:06 PM »
Oh goodness!  Another reason to know the difference in smell between engine oil and trans oil.  Don't tell Luigi as even he'd scoff at this one.   
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2015, 06:26:35 PM »
Oh goodness!  Another reason to know the difference in smell between engine oil and trans oil.  Don't tell Luigi as even he'd scoff at this one.
And the taste.  I hate gearbox oil in my salad, engine oil, not so bad.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2015, 07:02:54 PM »
Well, maybe you'll be lucky and it won't be an expensive lesson..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here