Author Topic: Aprilia Pegaso, have one now or in the past?  (Read 1783 times)

actwin

Aprilia Pegaso, have one now or in the past?
« on: November 27, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
 Been kicking around the idea of getting a smaller lightweight bike. Mostly for grins and some to work and back riding, being a Guzzi owner would like to have something out of the norm. Anyone here have experience with the Pegaso? Thanks

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
Re: Aprilia Pegaso, have one now or in the past?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 05:52:05 PM »
I too have been thinking of lightweight single lately. I test drove a early Pegaso a long time ago and liked it apart from the slight fork twist when applying the front brake.
Lately been thinking of the SWM RS650R -a reincarnation of the old Husky TE630. (Should be available in the states next year)

it should be fun, not sure about reliability though
http://www.swm-motorcycles.it/en/models/enduro/rs-650-r/

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 05:54:25 PM »
Are you talking about the '99/2000 Pegaso Cube? Those were the only ones sold in the US as far as I know.

I put 9k miles on my brother's Pegaso Cube and enjoyed it very much. Once we got some lean jetting issues squared away, it was great fun. Very good handling, good brakes, very compliant long travel suspension for a great ride, perfect ergonomics for a guy my size, gas mileage usually in the mid-50s. I never felt comfortable "off-road", even on graded forest roads. Could have been the tires on that particular bike, but the weight was a factor also.

Oil change is a bit of pain, if you ever need to remove and reinstall the carburetors you use every swear work you know.  :grin: Some parts interchange with the BMW Funduro, but a bunch don't.
Charlie

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 08:17:10 PM »
Fantastic motorcycle.

I had one for about 2 years and sold it about 3 years ago because I also have a much later BMW 650 single.

Aprilia made the 650 singles for BMW until about 2010.  Part of the deal gave them a cousin bike to the original 650 Rotax-motored BMW Funduro.  The Aprilia version was the Pegaso. It had a 5-valve head and hotter tuning than the BMW.  The bodywork was also sleeker. Sumbich ran like a much bigger bike.

The Pegaso is a 650 single with dual carbs and dual exhaust headers that carry through to true dual mufflers.

Again, mine ran like a raped ape. I used both on-road and off-road. The suspension was better than the 650 BMW GS models that I rode.

The Pegaso had a few small glitches. Some folks had trouble dialing in the carbs.  Mine were spot-on. Also, the voltage regulator was under the seat and would overheat for lack of cooling air.  Some people relocated them to an open location.  I left mine under the seat but installed a small 12V IC cooling fan on top of mine.  Never gave me trouble.

One of the nicest, best performing bikes I've owned.

Alas, it is 17 years old now. Engine parts can often be had but, if you ever drop it,  getting new plastic may be very difficult.

If you are looking at 650 singles, the current iteration of the BMW 650 is a fantastic and much more modern big single. Power and smoothness is a world ahead of the Asian KLR's and DR's.

My Pegaso3-

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:20:53 PM by leafman60 »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 08:17:10 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here