Author Topic: V9 valve clearance?  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
V9 valve clearance?
« on: July 10, 2017, 07:56:12 AM »
Curious to hear, what with the new arrangement. I wonder if it will be the same as the Aero?

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
Re: V9 valve clearance?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 09:53:59 AM »
Curious to hear, what with the new arrangement. I wonder if it will be the same as the Aero?

The harder piece of information would be to find out what the valve clearances for the Aero were!  :grin:

Chuck made his best guess, based on big blocks, from what I remember.

I wish I could find Chuck's valve cover off photo of his Aero engine, but I've seen it and the new V9 heads look similar... but I wonder if the V9 has smaller valves?

The Aero engine looks better in my opinion. If I ever get a Guzzi with the new hemi smallblock, I think I'll try and make custom valve covers that look like the Aero's.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »

Actually, Joe.. they are quite different. I'm surprised. I'd have thought since they had the tooling they would have modified it to do the new heads. A guy on another list said that he expected all that stuff was trashed when Aprillia took over. There apparently *was* a lot of it.  :sad:  Notice the casting seems to be set up for a central plug? Maybe another 4 valve grenade in the works? :rolleyes: :smiley:
Aero engine head below:

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 07:44:40 PM »
According to the book 4 thou inlet, six thou exhaust.

http://cadrecycle.com/manuals/technical/Engine%20V9%20IE%20MIU%20G3.pdf

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 07:44:40 PM »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 07:52:04 PM »
Thanks, Pete! And Chuck I love seeing photos of that thing.

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 03:36:02 AM »

Actually, Joe.. they are quite different. I'm surprised. I'd have thought since they had the tooling they would have modified it to do the new heads. A guy on another list said that he expected all that stuff was trashed when Aprillia took over. There apparently *was* a lot of it.  :sad:  Notice the casting seems to be set up for a central plug? Maybe another 4 valve grenade in the works? :rolleyes: :smiley:
Aero engine head below:

Thanks for sharing that Chuck! I don't know, there seems to still be a lot of similarities. The casting is different for the new valve cover bolt arrangements. I know there were changes for cylinder head cooling, to keep the exhaust valves cooler...

Yeah, I was hoping for a mini Griso engine upgrade with a chain driven cam system, etc... Maybe the plug will be for a dual spark, high compression 2 valve coming?

It will be interesting to see what becomes of it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:43:42 AM by Unkept »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here