Author Topic: Well, it made it 40 years(T3 content)  (Read 1780 times)

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
Well, it made it 40 years(T3 content)
« on: July 15, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
     The old stock shifter return spring finally bit the dust today 25 miles from home. It did well. I debated if to keep driving as not to run the spring end through stuff or not. And having no one at home to come and haul my butt home I chanced it and made it home just fine. A bit of an art to driving with it not functioning though. If there was no chance of ruining anything, I would continue driving until fall, but that would be looking for trouble.  $$$$$$$$
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:54:05 AM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Well, it made it 40 years
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 04:09:36 PM »
Chances are it would just lay harmlessly in the bottom. "You feeling lucky, boy?"  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »
Isn't that a warranty issue?? ?

Only 40 years?

Cheap Italian engineering!!

Glad you made it home safe....

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »
some guys are just hard on equipment... :evil:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 07:39:05 PM »
     I am more worried about the new improved spring that I have had on hand for about 10 years. As everything is farmed out to you know where and their heat treat process on springs is marginal at best. As an example I have a 12 year old JD lawn mower where the belt tensioner spring for the belt to the  hydostatic broke after 1400 hours of use. Good service, i would say.  The new JD spring of the same part number and of questionable origin broke after 4 hours. Progress, I guess.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »
     I am more worried about the new improved spring that I have had on hand for about 10 years. As everything is farmed out to you know where and their heat treat process on springs is marginal at best. As an example I have a 12 year old JD lawn mower where the belt tensioner spring for the belt to the  hydostatic broke after 1400 hours of use. Good service, i would say.  The new JD spring of the same part number and of questionable origin broke after 4 hours. Progress, I guess.

I'm keeping track.   The center blade spindle for my Husqvarna commercial mower went after 1000 hours, which I didn't think was very good - if I really were a commercial lawn mowing guy, that would be one season, or maybe two.

So I ordered another on line.   It was stamped "Tata CEI", which is located in the you know where that you mentioned.   It failed after 100 hours (it's a $100 part, so shouldn't be a wear issue).   Well, that's on me for ordering on-line rather than from the local dealer, so this time, I went to the local dealer and they ordered one and sold it to me and IT'S stamped "Tata CEI".    I told the dealer guy that if this one goofs after 100 hours, or even 500, he and I are going to have a talk, and he agrees .... So I'm keeping track.   

You're right to be worried about the provenance of the "replacement" spring.   Might be good to go ahead and get another from one of our guys on the list, or from one of their suppliers that they know to be good, just for that peace-of-mind thing ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:12:18 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Well, it made it 40 years(T3 content)
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 07:57:28 AM »
I just ordered 2 new spindles for the Ariens (same as a Husky) after 7yrs. No zert for greasing China bearings. New ones have a zert. Thought about rebuiding them, 1 good bearing, cost more than the whole assembly. As long as I can grease it it'll last.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here