Author Topic: Monza tear down begins  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
Monza tear down begins
« on: February 01, 2019, 07:33:18 PM »
HI,

Just wanted to share this:
Our garage has become full with 2 bikes and 2 cars, tools, mill , lathe, etc. It's been cold and wet lately so I asked my wife if she wouldn't mind if I tear down the Monza in the garage and do the re-assembly in our living room. Without hesitation she agreed! I'm a lucky guy.
I'll upload some pic's when I start the assembling.

Andy
1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Monza tear down begins
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 06:39:21 AM »
 :popcorn:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 08:05:31 PM »
Can't wait to see the pictures!

:popcorn:
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:22:07 PM »
You said you will post pics of the assembly,  we like pics of the disassembly too! :popcorn: :gotpics:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:22:07 PM »

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 11:42:08 PM »
Here you go:

1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 06:54:10 AM »
Killer 911 what year??

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 07:08:40 AM »
Pretty nice Monza..  :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 09:22:59 AM »
Pretty nice Monza..  :thumb:

Agreed. Almost too nice to do anything other than some general clean/up and get maintenance up to date. Not knowing if the mechanicals are all operable but if they were I'm not sure I'd consider this specimen a candidate for a complete redo.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 10:02:11 AM »
Agreed. Almost too nice to do anything other than some general clean/up and get maintenance up to date. Not knowing if the mechanicals are all operable but if they were I'm not sure I'd consider this specimen a candidate for a complete redo.

Agreed. It's a slippery slope, and will adversely affect it's value. Unmolested Monzas are beginning to bring some money. I would do the mechanical things that need doing.. there are a few.. and clean it up but not "restore" it.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 11:26:21 AM »
Agreed. It's a slippery slope, and will adversely affect it's value. Unmolested Monzas are beginning to bring some money. I would do the mechanical things that need doing.. there are a few.. and clean it up but not "restore" it.

Mechanically the Monza is sound. The P.O. had the top end and carbs done at a reputable shop at around 4k miles ago. It has the original ABS fairing which is in great shape. Missing were the headlamp mounting and turn signals. Which I have now resourced. Exhaust pipes have no rust, but the chrome looks "thin" and I don't know if it will buff out. I plan on leaving the tank alone, it has some small nicks. Seat is great too. No rips. As for the rest, fenders, tail and side covers. They have all faded into different shades of Red. The side covers being the worst with paint worn away as well as the decals. When I removed the covers  they had signs of cracking and really bad repair attempts. I can salvage them.

My plan was to clean up the bike, touch up the frame, repaint the side covers, fenders and tail section (which is has grazing, faded very badly)(( is there a source for the Black stripes?)). The black on the lower forks are flaking and in need of repaint as well as the wheels.

Some members have already helped with sorting out the electrical current drop to the lights and also with pics on how the front headlamp and fairing mounts attach.

Any suggestion are most welcome. I like to drive and ride my vehicles and I am never interested in having a concours level build. Although I admire and extremely grateful to those of you who restore machines to their former glory.

Thanks to all,
Andy
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:46:46 AM by Acme Monza »
1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 11:36:21 AM »
Killer 911 what year??
[/quote]

Hi, '74.
I've been working on it the last 3 years. 3.0 with Aem ECU, Jenvey ITB's along with my own custom manifold and linkage. Suspension, brakes, interior have all been done over too.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:44:52 AM by Acme Monza »
1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »
It's not unusual for the paint of different body parts to fade differently. Or not even match. Different materials (steel and ABS plastic). My Monza's paint looks about like yours after 38 years and 30k miles. A friend has a Ducati Darmah SS, ice blue. Long ago he rode off and forgot to retract the side stand. And was reminded of that mistake at the first left-hander. He took the (fiberglass with steel tank) parts to a local Corvette restoration shop. Cheaper than a bike painter (and yeah, he has some Guzzis, too. Including a Monza). The painter looked, and then said "no two parts match paint". Subtle, but different materials and light exposure.

Your seat has been re-covered. Any idea where that cover came from? Mine is starting to need that.

Headlight relays are a Good Thing. There is a Hella H4 light bucket that is plug and play. I got mine at my local NAPA shop. Special order but quick delivery.

The right-side handlebar switch failed on my bike. Opened it up and found it unrepairable. With about three strands of copper going to the on/off switch, no longer attached. There's a Domino/Tomaselli unit that is plug-and-play for a V50 III/Monza. Since the switch and throttle are one piece, I decided to be nice to my aging wrist and tossed the whole unit and got a quarter-turn Tomaselli Daytona throttle. A bit of fiddling with the cables involved but worth it.

How many miles on yours? Top end's been done, presumably replacing stock exhaust valves. Good if so! Check your rear drive as if stock not much oil gets to the pinion bearings, leading to lots of play in the input shaft and shiny metal bits in the oil best case and catastrophic failure at speed worst case. There are threads here about that.

Monzas are fun bikes, enjoy yours!
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 10:23:27 PM »
Guido, thanks for the tips. Would you mind sharing a brand list of the lubricants used on your Monza?

Thanks, Andy
1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 05:56:55 AM »
Some very basic and not so basic here. Necessary mods covered, too.
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=89034.0

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 09:59:36 AM »
Some very basic and not so basic here. Necessary mods covered, too.
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=89034.0

Chuck, yes, I have reading your thread link and plan to follow it when my bike is back together. One pleasant surprise for me, like yours was the previous owners install of a Dyna.
1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 10:06:07 AM »
Yeah, the Dyna S is the hot setup for the old small block.  :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 01:18:02 PM »
Andy,
I use Castrol 20w50 plus a ZDDP additive in all the Guzzis and the MGB. Readily available. ZDDP stuff is via Moss Motors (Brit car stuff). I used Redline Shockproof Heavy Duty pink milkshake in both smallblock gearboxes but for whatever reason, it seeped through all of the gaskets (including the clutch pushrod seal) of the Monza. No problem in the V50 box. It does help shifting and is long-lasting. Monza gets (per Guzzilolgy) 85w140. Both get that plus moly additive for rear drives. Hope that helps.
Carey
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 06:39:33 PM »
Corner of living room. Warm and toasty.

1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »
 :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

twowings

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 06:52:52 PM »
Corner of living room. Warm and toasty.

Now, if you only had some music... :evil:

Looking forward to this project  :thumb:

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 06:22:30 PM »
Sun came out yesterday and today. I was able to clean up the motor and drive train.

Does someone have a match to the Grey Color on the swing arms? I'd like to touch them up.

Andy
1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 07:05:18 PM »
Good luck with that. BTDT. You may have to have them color matched at an automotive paint store. $$ If you aren't really fussy, you can get pretty close with rattle can engine paint from an auto store.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 08:22:09 PM »
My T3 was kind of in the same state.  Engine/trans in the closet of the PO.  Rest of the bike in a Conex box.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here