General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Bernie's Budget Beast (SP1000)

<< < (15/15)

Canuck750:
Very nice job, it looks fantastic  :thumb:

berniebee:

--- Quote from: Canuck750 on May 31, 2022, 02:26:11 PM ---Very nice job, it looks fantastic  :thumb:

--- End quote ---

Thanks! Though I've been playing with bikes and cars most of my life, this is my first Moto Guzzi. I've spent many enjoyable hours learning about Guzzis from reading posts in this forum.

centauro:

--- Quote from: berniebee on June 02, 2022, 09:06:38 AM ---Thanks! Though I've been playing with bikes and cars most of my life, this is my first Moto Guzzi. I've spent many enjoyable hours learning about Guzzis from reading posts in this forum.

--- End quote ---

Outstanding job, Bernie!
What you did with that SP closely resembles what I did with mine over the 20 years I have owned it. I wanted to upgrade the fuse box and wiring like you did, but never got around to it before I sold it.
I did install the mid mount stand and rearranged the gages with the same pod you used though. I relocated the left side cover 1" back to allow more clearance for the K&N pod.

berniebee:
Though the tires on the bike are far from worn out, looking at the date codes gave me pause:

Back tire 13 years old:

Front tire 15 years old!:

(The last pair of numbers in the string of characters after DOT is the year of manufacture.)

Several WildGuzzi members are happy with Shinko tires. So I put on a pair of Shinko 712.

Using my custom made wheel balancer:

Here is how it is used:

The wheel is on it's own axle. The orbital sander is applied to the end of the axle to induce vibration, which breaks the static friction and allows for very accurate balancing.  I played with 1/4 Oz (7 gram) weights and had very repeatable results.  Of course your wheel bearings need to be in reasonably good condition, with no brinneling.

Now to put a hundred easy miles and parking lot figure eights on these tires to wear off the slick coating!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version