General Category > General Discussion

2016 Stone starter problem

(1/3) > >>

stonelover:
The starter on my 2016 V7 II  spins rapidly but does not engage. Any suggestions??

Brand X:

--- Quote from: stonelover on August 03, 2022, 02:46:46 PM ---The starter on my 2016 V7 II  spins rapidly but does not engage. Any suggestions??

--- End quote ---

Time to pull the starter and check for crankshaft end play. Some of us 2016 V-2 owners are just lucky that way..  :evil:  It would not hurt to pull the starter, and check it off the rig anyway.. 

Muzz:

--- Quote from: stonelover on August 03, 2022, 02:46:46 PM ---The starter on my 2016 V7 II  spins rapidly but does not engage. Any suggestions??

--- End quote ---

If it spins then the solenoid is working.  I would pull the starter motor and check just why the starter drive gear is not engaging on the ring gear.  It could range from costing you nothing except a cleanup to being quite expensive, and I am not sure you would know until you pull it and then check the operation. May be the pivot pin has sheared.

My .02 cents worth.

stonelover:
Thanks to Brand X & MUZZ for responding to my inquiry. Since the bike has 13,000 miles on it I believe that the needed thrust washer is in place.  I removed the starter and found no obvious problems. After reinstalling the starter I could hear the pinion gear trying to engage the flywheel followed by the starter spinning freely. This made me think that perhaps the solenoid was not strong enough to keep the gear engaged. A new starter has been ordered.  Thanks again. :smiley:

stonelover:
New starter installed this morning and all good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version