General Category > General Discussion

Comet Lovejoy now a nekkid-eye object - NOW ALSO WITH SUrPRIsE MYSTERY GUEST

(1/10) > >>

rodekyll:
Comet Lovejoy is headed toward the sun.  It can be seen without binoculars as it runs up the right side of the constellation Orion.

Here's a link to a report with sky maps.  It's all winter stormy here (unlike the lower 48  ::)  ) so we don't get to see it for a few more days.  How about someone with clear skies and a camera get us a report?   For camera work (tripod recommended) -- try 400 - 800 iso, 80 - 200 mm at a low f-stop (2.8 - 3.5) and bracket from 3sec up to about 15sec.  Longer exposures make for star tails and 'streak' the comet.

edit -- link didn't work -- trying again.  You'll need to scroll down a little to find the maps.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/observing-news/binocular-comet-lovejoy-heading-c2014-q2-lovejoy-1211142/

radguzzi:

Thanks rodekyll,
I'll take a peek tonight... 

Best,
Rob

Lannis:

--- Quote from: radguzzi on January 07, 2015, 05:00:57 PM ---
Thanks rodekyll,
I'll take a peek tonight... 

Best,
Rob

--- End quote ---

94% waning gibbous moon, probably not going to be able to see the comet ... too much light.

Lannis

rodekyll:
The websites tracking this say the comet is visible even with the moon, although you need optical enhancement to see the decidedly green tail.  On a related note, it's getting brighter.  Even though it's moving away from Earth, it's closing on the sun.  The sun's effect at lighting it up is much stronger than the effect of the increasing distance.

Lovejoy was not expected to get as bright as it is, and now the excited speculation is that it will really flare as it nears sol.  Nobody is saying it will be as dramatic as Hale Bopp in the 90s, but then again they're not saying it won't.  Stay tuned.

Hale Bopp in the 90s

Note the full moon (light cloud cover over both the moon and comet) and northern lights at the bottom of both pics.

steven c:
 Here in Ct, clear sky, Orion in plane view, but I don't see it, Sirius is bright ,Jupiter looks great. It's also 2 out with winds to 40 so I'm not setting up the camera even if I could see it! I have a Sky guide AP but it doesn't show the comet Lovejoy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version