Author Topic: Has This ADV Thing gotten out of hand?  (Read 17361 times)

hammick

Re: Has This ADV Thing gotten out of hand?
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2015, 08:39:04 PM »
I would not be averse to an adventure with the girl in the picture.

Asian girls  :drool

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 08:21:33 AM »
I find the motorcycle industry is spending way too much time and money catering to your "kind"; giving us with more endowed inseams the short shrift.  :P

ROFL 

That's why my brother has a new beemer GS and I like my T5.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »
Asian girls  :drool

Forget it guys - she can't be more than 12!

Nick

expat42451

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »
Naah- I bet she is upper 20s  or 30's - Many times Asian women don't show their age for the most part- depending on where in Asia they are from.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 11:57:20 AM »
Everybody has their own personal fad.  Hopefully it works for you. ;-T  I'm not into this ADV thing myself but they may not like touring, choppers, cafe's, bobbers, standards, loops, hacks either.   
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2015, 12:34:14 AM »

That is the one and only thing about MG that bothers me.  I have a MG dealer 5 miles away, but being broke down 1200 miles from the nearest dealer has crossed my mind, along with availability of parts.  I have several Yamahas, so I guess I'm a fan.  to me as well, even if I won't admit it.
[/quote]

That's what many bike riders say why they don't ride Guzzis.   I rode Yamahas for 20 years before I got my 1st Guzzi in `84.  Been riding Guzzis ever since.  A couple other brands too.  I ride long distances and never has a Guzzi left me stranded.   Some times things break but I always make it home without a layover.  ;-T   My nearest Guzzi dealer is 150 miles away.

biking sailor

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
That is the one and only thing about MG that bothers me.  I have a MG dealer 5 miles away, but being broke down 1200 miles from the nearest dealer has crossed my mind, along with availability of parts.  I have several Yamahas, so I guess I'm a fan.  to me as well, even if I won't admit it.

That's what many bike riders say why they don't ride Guzzis.   I rode Yamahas for 20 years before I got my 1st Guzzi in `84.  Been riding Guzzis ever since.  A couple other brands too.  I ride long distances and never has a Guzzi left me stranded.   Some times things break but I always make it home without a layover.  ;-T   My nearest Guzzi dealer is 150 miles away.

Since 2010 I have clocked 75,000 miles on 3 different Guzzis.  Only one left me stranded where I needed help.  The help came from a Kawasaki dealer that referred me to a local independent that basically let me "assist" in fixing it.  Fortunately, the offending part was available at a parts store and identified by my "local" dealers shop over the phone.  Being a bit of a gearhead and engineer, I understand how any machine can have a failure (MTBF) and leave you stranded, and to blindly say it can't or rarely will happen to one brand or another is a gamble I don't want to play when the consequences of the failure could be complicated by hard to source/long lead time parts and no one local that is willing to try to fix it. 

When traveling several through several states on trips, I do think about "what if's" and am comforted, or the opposite, that a parts failure could be a one or two day delay verses an abandon the bike and fly home because the part needed has a month long lead time and the shop helping doesn't have a recognizable sign out front.  Everyone has their own level of comfort, and I respect that.

David, I've read the many posts you've made about your experiences and always get the impression you are happy with your Stelvio, despite the teething pains of little thing to fix/work through to make it a go anywhere bike.  I too think the Stelvio, and 1200 Sport before it, were truly top shelf riding experiences other brands could only envy. 

But for me, my traveling bike needs a bit more dealer support than Guzzi can provide right now, and the commuting limitations (over cooling in cold temps) were an issue I wasn't wanting to deal with again post the deer hit that totaled my Stelvio.  I will say though that THE Guzzis I have ridden are more riders bikes that any other brands I have experienced. Still have one left in the garage, but mainly only use it locally, within a few hundred miles.

Darren

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2015, 10:56:13 AM »
Since 2010 I have clocked 75,000 miles on 3 different Guzzis.  Only one left me stranded where I needed help.  The help came from a Kawasaki dealer that referred me to a local independent that basically let me "assist" in fixing it.  Fortunately, the offending part was available at a parts store and identified by my "local" dealers shop over the phone.  Being a bit of a gearhead and engineer, I understand how any machine can have a failure (MTBF) and leave you stranded, and to blindly say it can't or rarely will happen to one brand or another is a gamble I don't want to play when the consequences of the failure could be complicated by hard to source/long lead time parts and no one local that is willing to try to fix it. 

When traveling several through several states on trips, I do think about "what if's" and am comforted, or the opposite, that a parts failure could be a one or two day delay verses an abandon the bike and fly home because the part needed has a month long lead time and the shop helping doesn't have a recognizable sign out front.  Everyone has their own level of comfort, and I respect that.

David, I've read the many posts you've made about your experiences and always get the impression you are happy with your Stelvio, despite the teething pains of little thing to fix/work through to make it a go anywhere bike.  I too think the Stelvio, and 1200 Sport before it, were truly top shelf riding experiences other brands could only envy. 

But for me, my traveling bike needs a bit more dealer support than Guzzi can provide right now, and the commuting limitations (over cooling in cold temps) were an issue I wasn't wanting to deal with again post the deer hit that totaled my Stelvio.  I will say though that THE Guzzis I have ridden are more riders bikes that any other brands I have experienced. Still have one left in the garage, but mainly only use it locally, within a few hundred miles.

Darren

If some get stranded on their Guzzi they have a friend come get them w/a PU or trailer or they rent a small U-Haul truck.  I have never needed that, even tho I've hit 2 deer w/o stopping.  :o   Whenever I see a MC on the side of the road it's usually a Harley.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2015, 11:01:07 AM »
However, I would not be averse to an adventure with the girl in the picture.

Yeah, I've also been there and done that.

I am constantly reminded by the wife that Asians do not believe in divorce because that would end the suffering.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2015, 11:27:44 AM »
That is the one and only thing about MG that bothers me.  I have a MG dealer 5 miles away, but being broke down 1200 miles from the nearest dealer has crossed my mind, along with availability of parts.  I have several Yamahas, so I guess I'm a fan.  That being said, looking at the Super Tenere and the Stelvio side by side, the Stelvio gave me a better impression of quality.  Also, once both are fully equipped, the Stelvio appears to be a better bargain.  Maybe that other part appeals to me as well, even if I won't admit it.

Whenever I start to sort of worry about that, I think of Ken Hand and Our JB and JN Smyth and Karl Werth and Tim the jeweler guy and both our Gregs and ChuckH and Randy T. and ... oh, lots more .... guys and say "Have I ever heard one of these guys worry about how many Guzzi dealers there are before they took off from home on an 8000 mile trip on a Guzzi with anywhere from 10,000 to 400,000 miles on it?"

The answer is no, in fact they would chuckle at the idea, and they rack up intergalactic mileages on Guzzis and have lots of great stories to tell, very few of which include "Help, I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up!" in them.

So I'm using these guys as my role models, and the question, for me, is already answered.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 11:29:09 AM »
Yeah, I've also been there and done that.

I am constantly reminded by the wife that Asians do not believe in divorce because that would end the suffering.

As the women in Japan say, "you butterfly, me cut you up!"  :'(

Offline pocphil

• Owner - ClevelandMoto
  • Hatchling
    • ClevelandMoto
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2015, 05:27:49 PM »
Having a full USMC spec KLR650 in my garage that can literally go anywhere, it seems as tho' every time I run across a big ol' nasty dirt road or 2 miles of fist sized gravel, I'm sitting on a Triumph TT600 or my v7 racer.

I never plan to be on certain kinds of roads, I usually just head out and start exploring. Maybe, if I actually took the time to choose a bike appropriate route? Nope, I'm not there yet.

Last November in Mexico on the Bajaj we ended up on more dirt, gravel and all-out nonsense than I've been on in years...Emmy was on a Honda CB-1 and I was on the TT, everyone else in our group had the perfect bike for those conditions...Vespa scooters. I know they were perfect by how much faster than us they were going.

Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here