General Category > General Discussion

Voltage regulator question

(1/3) > >>

kevdog3019:
On my Lario, wondering how much heat is generated by the voltage regulator?  Wanting to paint it and not sure if this is a good idea if there's a need for heat dissipation. Lets say you?
Thanks

Triple Jim:
I have a PDF file of a NASA test report that says that if the paint is less than 0.004" thick, it will help heat transfer.  More than that, it will hinder it.  Keep the paint thin and it'll be fine.  I'll post a link to the report if you're masochistic.

Moto Fugazzi:
What color did you plan on painting it? Black will absorb heat. I would think as long as there's air circulation, you should be fine.
Why not just give it a good scrubbing and keep it the way it should be?
Ken

Old Jock:
Which alternator does the Lario have (pardon my ignorance)?

If the alternator is Saprisa or the like, permanent magnet then its going to get hot, if its Bosch electromagnet then not so hot.

Just saying

kevdog3019:
Thanks. It's a Bosch system. I painted it black (Plastidip) which I can remove if need be.  I don't like the idea it's surrounded by "rubber" but I guess I'll find out...

I did it because it's a sore thumb in light grey and silver sitting to the outside of the battery area where my bike is now naked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version