General Category > General Discussion

What ape do they employ to tighten filler caps at Mandello?

(1/4) > >>

Doppelgaenger:
Yesterday I completed the 13k mile service on my Breva 1100... but man was that transmission filler cap a pain to take off. I ended up using a hardened 8mm impact screwdriver bit stepped up to a 1/2 inch drive rachet to get it off after I ruined a few lesser tools in the process.

Is this a common occurence with anyone else's bike? what other items on these bikes are tightened so such massive torques?

Bill Hagan:
Actually, Piaggio has made Apes for years, but, this kind, named after the humble bee.  ;)

But, I, too, wondered about why my transmission fill plug was seemingly welded tight, tho it was a prior service, not a Mandellan -- or, more likely, just who did it the last time.

But, as soon as I saw how tight the foxtrotter was, I got out the Tool for All Seasons …

Then $9.95, now $3 more, I love it.  Some of the reviews here are a hoot: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-25-in-breaker-bar-67933.html

Would like to have a vintage Ape, but that would be a first-class money pit within a week.

Bill

Edited to add that, upon reflection, it may be that no ape overtightened yours or mine -- tho it was still fun to defeat the guy with that breaker bar; makes me feel as if I've accomplished something with a tool.   ;D

Perhaps this is just a product of metallurgical processes over time, with varying temperatures and moisture helping that along?  The plug is steel; the casing, aluminum.  In my case, maybe I or a tech got lazy in a previous change-out and reused the crush washer?  Saved 25 cents.  ;)

Doppelgaenger:
hmm I didn't even think of my breaker bar even tho I have one... dumbass move.

Still, when the cap let go I immediately said "Ok, which tool broke."

rodekyll:
That's the reason I always check the fill plug before I use the drain plug.

normzone:
OOH, that's good advice, thank you. Yeah, my fill plug is why I bought one of those bars, although I've not tried it yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version