Author Topic: Any Norge owners replace daylight running lights with LEDs  (Read 3142 times)

canuguzzi

Any Norge owners replace daylight running lights with LEDs
« on: August 29, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »
The daylight runners are conventional and I'm interested in replacing them with LEDs.  Anyone done this and what were the results? Did they meet your expectations?

I put a double row of LED strips on the rear trunk platform.  The bottom row lights dimmer but goes bright with brake application.  The Norge is far more noticeable feom the rear since the trunk shadows the LEDs and the effect is dramatic,  much easier to see.  The rear tail light just doesn't make a very significant visual indicator in day light.

Offline Bobbilljim

• Gosling
  • Eternal Student
Re: Any Norge owners replace daylight running lights with LEDs
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 12:19:06 AM »
You need a load resistor parallel to your lights. Just one if they are all on the same circuit. Long story short to make LEDs brighter they need more current up to a point. Then they blow the LEDs. You should use about a 5ohm load resistor.
Rob

"There's Guzzi Cheap, then there's Stupid cheap" - Fotoguzzi

1984 California II

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:51:46 AM »
You should not need any load resistors if you use replacement type 'bulbs'.  They are designed for 12v operation.

If you replace turn signals then you might have to do something for the flasher to operate properly.

I have an LED replacement headlamp.  It works fine for what I want, but...the light pattern is not ideal.  Driving and headlamps made for halogen will not be efficient with LED's.  You will probably get more beam spread and less at distance.  If long range performance is not your goal they will work fine.

If you get driving lights made as LED they do perform well and draw little current.

And, yes, I love my LED strip on the trunk too (not a Norge).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Bobbilljim

• Gosling
  • Eternal Student
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 11:41:57 PM »
While that is true for the flashers the increase in current draw will increase the brightness of the LEDs.
Rob

1984 California II

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 11:41:57 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 07:35:55 AM »
You need a load resistor parallel to your lights. Just one if they are all on the same circuit. Long story short to make LEDs brighter they need more current up to a point. Then they blow the LEDs. You should use about a 5ohm load resistor.

While that is true for the flashers the increase in current draw will increase the brightness of the LEDs.

5 ohm load resistors?
Brightness of the LEDs?

What are you smoking?

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Bobbilljim

• Gosling
  • Eternal Student
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 06:23:30 PM »
I may have been leaning over the gas tank for too long but it worked for me?
Rob

1984 California II

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here