Author Topic: rainy day maintenance (G5 content)  (Read 5906 times)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: rainy day maintenance (G5 content)
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2018, 12:30:36 PM »
:popcorn:

There's a few Rallies coming up, Ohio & Kentucky, are you thinking of riding the G5 to them ?

Kentucky.. Ohio is during the National Antique Airplane meet in Iowa.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
I was surprised at how many old aviation mechanics didn't understand that DC-3 [dielectric grease] is an insulator, not a conductor. the sort of thing that will have you spend a night 40 miles south of East Jesus, South Dakota either on a bike or your new Light Sport airplane :sad:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »
Let's see now, where were we? Oh, yeah. Remember the three yellow wires that come from the alternator? They terminate here at the diode board, where the AC is converted to DC. I'm convinced that many of the problems with the Bosch alternator are here. It's sort of hidden, and not serviced. The contacts get corroded, create heat, and havoc.(I've actually seen this connector melted)
2018-08-01_12-59-19 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
So.. unhook it, get your points file or diesinker's Swiss file set  :grin: and clean those connectors up.
2018-08-01_01-35-25 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Some DeOxit, wiggle it around.. oh, you know.
Austin came down this morning and helped me put the voltage regulator assembly back together. It takes 3 hands. Forewarned is forearmed.  :evil: It's one of Luigi's most diabolical tricks.
When I pulled off another wire on the diode board, there was almost no tension at all. Hmmm. Told Austin to take the duckbills and tighten the female connector.
2018-08-01_01-36-10 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
It snapped as soon as a little pressure was put on it. No doubt, it was ready to fail.. that's why I don't subscribe to the "don't fix nothin that ain't broke" theory. Put a new one on, tightened the matching very loose one, and moved on to the fuse box.
Austin took it off
2018-08-01_01-36-31 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
so we could get to the connectors.
2018-08-01_01-36-57 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
We'll clean up all the connectors, take a stainless toothbrush to the fuse holders, and put new fuses in them.
There is an important power and ground lead to the diode board, but I'll have to pull the battery to get to them.
Stay tuned..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »
Here are the connections that are generally ignored. Power on the left, ground (barely seen) on the right. There are a couple more that aren't shown.
2018-08-01_04-52-03 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Clean and put Vaseline on the battery cables and battery, and the heavy lifting is done. Sure, there are some minor things.. lights, etc. but doing this will keep you going down the road for a long time.
Thanks for following along.. and I hope it has been of value to someone.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »

Offline BikeMike

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2018, 07:07:48 PM »
Thanks for posting Chuck.  This is very useful (practical) maintenance information.

Mike
1974 Eldorado
1975 850T Interceptor
1976 V1000 Convert Police
1949 Matchless G3L

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2018, 11:02:35 AM »
Thanks for posting Chuck.  This is very useful (practical) maintenance information.

Mike

Thanks, Mike..
Ok, let's get this bad boy back on the road. Haven't had time to finish it up. Wisconsin rally  :thumb: and a 4 day Cad/Cam school. The oil pressure gauge was flaky, so ordered one from Cheesehead and Gordon while I was gone. It uses a different terminal, though  :sad: .. but.. an automotive bullet connector will fit right on.  :smiley:
2018-08-11_11-34-36 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Crimp that sucker on there..
2018-08-11_11-34-53 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
(should have gotten a new boot, too) a little anti seize, and we now have a reliable oil pressure light.
A very good indicator of engine condition (besides the leak down test) is what the spark plug looks like. This one looks a little cold. The book calls for a BP7ES, but Guzziology sez a BP6 (hotter) ES is better.
2018-08-11_11-35-18 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
So.. had MGC throw a couple of those in the box, too. Gapped .023" a *little* anti seize on the threads.. don't let it get past the first thread, or you will be wondering what is causing the "mystery miss" before long. Anti seize is a conductor. Run it in until it's snug on the new gasket, and then turn the wrench 3/4 of a turn. No torquing necessary.
As an aside, I was talking to Jim at Rose Farm one day and he told me that whenever a plug comes out, a new one goes in. I agree. They are cheap, and are the cause of many vexing problems.
"Tweeeet." Lunch whistle. Back later.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:04:58 AM by Chuck in Indiana »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2018, 12:46:30 PM »
Chuck: What's your position on using dielectric grease? I read a bunch of recent and very interesting threads here on this forum about it's use, and your attention to the elec connections makes me think they would be a good candidate for it's use.

My Cal 2 is about at the same stage as your G5 right now, and I think I'm going to apply it after a quick spritz with contact cleaner.

When I carried out my LM2 refurb I had the wiring loom off the bike. After cleaning every last inch of every wire, connector and component and removing any corrosion I Silicone greased (dielectric) every connection on the bike. I've never had a problem since doing this. As for it being an insulator, well of course it is, who would use conducting grease?
Its the metal to metal contact that provides the electrical connection, the grease prevents moisture or water getting to the contact.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »
When I carried out my LM2 refurb I had the wiring loom off the bike. After cleaning every last inch of every wire, connector and component and removing any corrosion I Silicone greased (dielectric) every connection on the bike. I've never had a problem since doing this. As for it being an insulator, well of course it is, who would use conducting grease?
Its the metal to metal contact that provides the electrical connection, the grease prevents moisture or water getting to the contact.

On these old bikes *without any relays* you can probably get by with it. Use Vaseline to do the same job on a new bike.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2018, 02:01:17 PM »
Crimp that sucker on there..
2018-08-11_11-34-53 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

I'm surprised to see that you use the insulated, single crimp type terminals. I figured a perfectionist like you would only use the double crimp, strain relief type.

Charlie

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2018, 02:03:30 PM »
Remember that rusty pin on the front brake?
2018-08-11_11-35-41 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
I know this is basic stuff, but there are all levels of wrenching experience on this list.. so let's replace the worn out pads. There is a millimeter to a millimeter and a half of pad material left. Just in the nick of time.  :grin:
The reason these pins are rusty is because over the years someone has just grabbed them with pliers an worn off the plating. They may be frozen in there, so take a copper drift and break them loose from the back side.
2018-08-11_11-36-55 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Once they are loose, a long 1/8" diameter punch will peck them out. There is a flat spring that will catch on the pin. Carefully pull it up on the big diameter and the pins will come out easily. No cave manning required or wanted..
2018-08-11_11-37-21 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
You can clean off the rust with fine emery paper in the lathe, or drill chuck. It doesn't hurt anything, really, but looks like crap.
2018-08-11_11-37-42 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Spritzing some of this airplane stuff on the pins will keep that rust thing from reoccurring. Pretty much, anyway. :cool:
2018-08-11_11-37-54 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Once the pins and spring retainer are out, "carefully" lever the pistons back into the caliper using a big hunker screwdriver between the old pads and rotor. One side, then the other. Again, no cave manning required. There's really no need to warp the rotor, right?  :wink: The pistons will have to be almost flush for new pads to go in.
Once that's done, pull the pins (including the center pin) and retaining spring. If you didn't notice, the curved end goes to the front.
2018-08-11_11-38-41 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Put the new pads in, slide the front pin into pad, then the flat spring. Do the same thing on the rear. The inside pad has fallen down now.. just push it up with your hand, locate the holes and push the pins in. The flat spring will want to hang up again, but can easily be maneuvered into the correct position with a screwdriver.
Tap the pins home.
2018-08-11_11-38-20 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Snap the cover back on, and you're done.  Don't forget to pump up the lever and foot pedal before moving the bike.. :shocked: :grin:
2018-08-11_11-38-56 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
That's all there is to it. No removing calipers, etc. Total time? Considerably less than telling about it.  :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2018, 02:11:49 PM »
I'm surprised to see that you use the insulated, single crimp type terminals. I figured a perfectionist like you would only use the double crimp, strain relief type.

Charlie, all I'm going to say about that is this is what I had in my "good junk" box that would work..  :smiley: You are absolutely right, of course, and it is going to get treated to all new good terminals this Winter when I'm needing a project. I had two of the OEM terminals come apart when I was just cleaning and DeOxiting them. I thought, "Note to self. Replace all the terminals when you get time. It hasn't been sitting in suspended animation these last 39 years."

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2018, 04:54:29 PM »
 :thumb:

I replaced a lot of terminals and some of the alternator wiring on my Convert, to the point that I probably should have just bought a new harness from Greg Bender. I did buy his "relay solution" for the headlight high/low, horn and ignition circuit.
Charlie

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2018, 05:23:28 PM »
Does it still rain in Indiana???
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »
Does it still rain in Indiana???

Good point. All the rain seems to have moved elsewhere. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »
I'm having fun following along Chuck.  :thumb: Thanks for sharing.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2018, 09:01:25 AM »
I'm having fun following along Chuck.  :thumb: Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Joe.. that's about it.
Oh, forgot.. when it gets hot, the clutch is grabby. I may look into that.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2018, 09:32:42 AM »
Thanks, Joe.. that's about it.
Oh, forgot.. when it gets hot, the clutch is grabby. I may look into that.

Sometimes, you *do* get the bear.  :smiley: :smiley: The Previous Owner told me about the clutch problem. I thought, probably the transmission input hub.  :sad: Oh well, the price reflected the problem..
Had a look this morning, and the spring behind the clutch actuating arm was off it's pin, but trapped behind the arm. <scratching head> No pix, I couldn't get my phone in there to take one. At any rate, fixed that, adjusted the arm.. that is a fussy adjustment. One turn makes a lot of difference.. adjusted the cable and the lever.
Works like new. :grin: I'm a happy camper. Hopefully it hasn't been loading the throwout bearing for thousands of miles.
That does it. I'll ride it the rest of the season without worrying about breaking down.  :thumb: Maybe I can get it to roll over 100, 000..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »
Sometimes, you *do* get the bear.  :smiley: :smiley: The Previous Owner told me about the clutch problem. I thought, probably the transmission input hub.  :sad: Oh well, the price reflected the problem..
Had a look this morning, and the spring behind the clutch actuating arm was off it's pin, but trapped behind the arm. <scratching head> No pix, I couldn't get my phone in there to take one. At any rate, fixed that, adjusted the arm.. that is a fussy adjustment. One turn makes a lot of difference.. adjusted the cable and the lever.
Works like new. :grin: I'm a happy camper. Hopefully it hasn't been loading the throwout bearing for thousands of miles.
That does it. I'll ride it the rest of the season without worrying about breaking down.  :thumb: Maybe I can get it to roll over 100, 000..

:thumb: Glad to hear you found the culprit! You still have plenty of riding time before Winter. :)

twowings

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2018, 02:53:06 PM »
 :thumb:

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here