Author Topic: Natchez Trace Parkway, not Utah  (Read 777 times)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
Natchez Trace Parkway, not Utah
« on: July 30, 2022, 10:20:22 PM »
Thanks to my little broken ankle mishap in March, I’m not sure I’m going to be able to do a grand Utah motorcycle adventure this year.  As I was hoping to do.  Utah blew my mind.  The grand Utah adventure is still on my list.

I’m thinking instead to do the Natchez Trace Parkway this year. 

The whole enchilada.   It is 444 miles from Natchez, Mississippi to Nashville, TN. I’d be heading out of Dallas. 

Thoughts? Tips? Suggestions? 

Yes, I’m a hard-core Civil War buff.  Also interested in anything to do with Native American history. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
Re: Natchez Trace Parkway, not Utah
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 11:19:58 PM »
I rode over 200 miles of the Natchez Tracxeway down to the city of Natchez. Though the city was very interesting, and though many parts of the South are the same, I have never been on a more boring road than the Natchez Traceway. There is almost nothing on the road at all. It and Utah are polar opposites.

I might travel on secondary highways to some civil war sites, or maybe head out the other direction to the Big Bend area of Texas (where I've never been).

Other people enjoy the Natchez Trace, so maybe you will too. In any case, I hope you have a great time.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 06:13:29 AM »
Those who ride for the “near death” experience will find the Natchez Trace road boring to ride.

History buffs will find it very interesting.

There is no commercial traffic allowed on the Trace.

There are no stop signs along the entire length.

In Natchez, stop at the Old South Trading Post for a souvenir. Natchez also has a few historic sites to visit.

In Lorman, MS you will find the worlds best fried chicken as declared on the Food Network.

The Indian Mounds are the largest I have ever seen. Definitely wear riding boots that are comfortable enough for some walking.

Further north you can visit Elvis Presley’s birthplace.

The bridges as you cross into Tennessee are a sight to see.

Don’t miss the waterfalls, and riding the shoreline of the lake is nice.

Loveless cafe at the northern end is a destination dining experience, but kind of touristy.

Franklin, TN has Unique Civil war sites, and a visit to Shiloh National Battlefield is a must stop.

The road is best enjoyed on a bike with cruise control and tunes, but a throttle lock and ear buds will get the job done.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 06:19:30 AM »
Have you visited Shiloh, SmithSwede?

https://www.nps.gov/shil/index.htm

That should be top of the list for anyone interested in Civil War history.  We like the Natchez Trace; we stop and read the markers, check out the cemetery, tromp the original sections and so forth.  In recent years we've found the speed limit enforcement to be near non-existent, so we mosey thru at about 60 mph.  That's fast enough considering the wildlife you're apt to encounter.  But I can certainly see how some might find it dull.

Sarah

Edit: What twowheel said  :grin:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:22:46 AM by greer »
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 06:19:30 AM »

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 06:49:20 AM »
I've run the length of it many times and I think I've stopped at all the historic sites and made the shorter walks. It ain't Deals Gap, but I enjoyed it for what it is. It will take two days if you read all the markers and take the hikes.
Some on this list eat Kobe beef twice a day and others like me enjoy a balony sammich on white bread.

Tex

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 07:05:28 AM »
A 30 degree curve takes about a mile to complete and it's that way the whole way. It will be hot, but not Texas hot.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Navydad

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 09:30:42 AM »
Those who ride for the “near death” experience will find the Natchez Trace road boring to ride.

History buffs will find it very interesting.

There is no commercial traffic allowed on the Trace.

There are no stop signs along the entire length.

In Natchez, stop at the Old South Trading Post for a souvenir. Natchez also has a few historic sites to visit.

In Lorman, MS you will find the worlds best fried chicken as declared on the Food Network.

The Indian Mounds are the largest I have ever seen. Definitely wear riding boots that are comfortable enough for some walking.

Further north you can visit Elvis Presley’s birthplace.

The bridges as you cross into Tennessee are a sight to see.

Don’t miss the waterfalls, and riding the shoreline of the lake is nice.

Loveless cafe at the northern end is a destination dining experience, but kind of touristy.

Franklin, TN has Unique Civil war sites, and a visit to Shiloh National Battlefield is a must stop.

The road is best enjoyed on a bike with cruise control and tunes, but a throttle lock and ear buds will get the job done.

This sums it up nicely. When you get to the northern end ride on up a bit and take the road through the land between the lakes in Kentucky. A nice ride and you can say that you've been there.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 02:16:36 PM »
I did it years ago and enjoyed it.  To make the best of the Natchez Trace, you have to be willing to stop, take time and explore all the side pull-overs and history exhibits.  If not, you'll just find it to be a boring, slow ride through the woods. Lots of things to see and do in Natchez, good food.  The Vicksburg National Military Park is just a short ride off the Trace.   The Windsor Ruins are worth a stop as well. As was mentioned, the Loveless Cafe at the northern end is a good place to eat.  They even have motorcycle-only parking right in front (or did the last time I was there a couple of years ago.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 02:18:29 PM by Motormike »

Offline Bisbee

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 04:31:50 PM »
Vicksburg museum with the USS Cairo - the ironclad warship is excellent. The land between the lakes is beautiful country. Visit Fort Donelson. With all the cannons trained on the river below, the Union gunboats never stood a chance.  Hence, Grant had to take it by land. Am going to try for a Big Bend ride late Sept. Big Bend Park, river road, Judge Roy Bean’s saloon in Langtry. Probably too far for you but the Bourbon Trail in Kentucky is a great visit. Versailles, Bardstown, etc. Pre civil war mansions, incredible horse farms, amazing old distilleries. Kentucky would be my first choice and you would be able to hit the other areas as well. That area is one of the most beautiful in the country in the summer. None of those areas are near the floods.
94 R100R Mystic , 92 K75S, 98 EV, 17 Stelvio NTX

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 05:57:31 PM »
I rode over 200 miles of the Natchez Tracxeway down to the city of Natchez. Though the city was very interesting, and though many parts of the South are the same, I have never been on a more boring road than the Natchez Traceway. There is almost nothing on the road at all. It and Utah are polar opposites.

I might travel on secondary highways to some civil war sites, or maybe head out the other direction to the Big Bend area of Texas (where I've never been).

Other people enjoy the Natchez Trace, so maybe you will too. In any case, I hope you have a great time.

Moto

Several years ago I rode from south to north on the Trace for about the same distance and also found it very boring compared to, for example, the Blue Ridge Pkwy.  I bailed out & rode the rest of the way north on state and US routes going in approximately the same direction as the Trace and found them much more entertaining.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Mike Crenshaw

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 11:05:58 PM »
I’ve ridden the Trace a few times in both directions. I enjoyed it immensely but I define my riding style as the Abominable Slow Man. Definitely plan time in Franklin TNto visit the site of the Battle of Franklin. I like to mix my riding with reading so expressing you go pick up The Widow Of The South, a novel based upon true events. A lot of possible side trips as well.
03 Moto Guzzi California EV
18 BMW R1200RT
75 BMW R90/6 Elwood
80 BMW R80/7
74 Yamaha TY250A
06 Suzuki DR650
68 Triumph TR25W

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here