Author Topic: Moto Guzzi Experience trip, Sardinia  (Read 1802 times)

elvisboy77

Moto Guzzi Experience trip, Sardinia
« on: February 11, 2019, 07:40:42 AM »
Has anyone done one of the MG experience trips?  I just signed up for the October trip.  Looking for any suggestions as to what to expect, etc.

Thanks!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Moto Guzzi Experience trip, Sardinia
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »
I tried to sign up for it last year but MG didn't contact me for weeks.  By that time I had already firmed up my travel plans and it was too late to schedule.

I never learned if they had riding gear or whether I had to bring it with me.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:49:13 AM »
  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »
I can't comment on the Guzzi sponsored trip.  However, we did Sardegna with our Falcone club in 2006.  Perhaps some of those comments would be of help.  Definitely get on a tour of the neolithic Nuraghe stone structures.

http://motohayes.com/mgc/sardegna/sardegna.html

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »

elvisboy77

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 12:25:11 PM »
I can't comment on the Guzzi sponsored trip.  However, we did Sardegna with our Falcone club in 2006.  Perhaps some of those comments would be of help.  Definitely get on a tour of the neolithic Nuraghe stone structures.

http://motohayes.com/mgc/sardegna/sardegna.html

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wow!  What a great trip, thanks for sharing.

elvisboy77

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 12:27:34 PM »
I tried to sign up for it last year but MG didn't contact me for weeks.  By that time I had already firmed up my travel plans and it was too late to schedule.

I never learned if they had riding gear or whether I had to bring it with me.

Bummer!  I applied on Saturday and they confirmed my application on Monday, BUT they need 15 riders minimum to confirm the trip being booked.

They did make me certify that I would bring a helmet and riding gear, which will be clunky for air travel but hey!

JMK

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 01:12:02 PM »
Checking out roads on google satellite view is fun and informative so I do it before trips like this.  Zooming in and tracking through them and using street view, if available, was very helpful to me as I'd never ridden or driven in Europe.

Sounds like a great trip!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:12:31 PM by SED »
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

elvisboy77

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 07:03:36 PM »
Checking out roads on google satellite view is fun and informative so I do it before trips like this.  Zooming in and tracking through them and using street view, if available, was very helpful to me as I'd never ridden or driven in Europe.

Sounds like a great trip!

Wow, that is a great idea!  Thanks.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 07:28:57 PM »
Bummer!  I applied on Saturday and they confirmed my application on Monday, BUT they need 15 riders minimum to confirm the trip being booked.

They did make me certify that I would bring a helmet and riding gear, which will be clunky for air travel but hey!

JMK

since I was doing a month long trip in Europe, dragging gear with me wouldn't be practical.  I might have shipped or purchased in Europe but I never got it together.  Doubtful that I would spend $3k to fly there and leave in a week.

BTW- the trip to Europe was marvelous.  Me? I think I'd rent a bike and ride in the Swiss Alps.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 07:41:14 AM »
Thanks for sharing your trip, Patrick.. :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline erice

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 03:46:49 AM »
I'm a bit biased since I live here part of the year, but some of the best motorcycling is in Sardinia.

We have a place in Sant'Antioco, an island attached to the SW corner of Sardinia. The Guzzi tour goes through here.  The tour is around the south end of the island.  Here is a link to other resources, in case anyone wants to spend more time here touring.
https://www.pastorinmoto.org/en/gli-itinera

A few notes - GPS and Google are notoriously unreliable here. They often send you down dead ends, which only become apparent after several kilometers when the road stops at a gate or fence. Or just stops.  So don't be in a hurry.

Summer is not a great time for motorcycling - it's (relatively) crowded and can be very hot. Currently (Feb) it's 15 C and sunny here.  however, it can be tough to find open accommodation since a lot is seasonal, but the roads are empty. Best times are after Easter before summer, or September to November. B&Bs in towns are best, and hosts can provide great restaurant recommendations.  Very little vehicle traffic, but flocks of sheep, goats, cows and pigs can be found in many places.  Roads are narrow and twisty, with spectacular scenery and beaches (bit cold to swim in the winter though). There are a few places where it's flat, but not much.

The ferry is about 8 hours, plus time needed to arrive ahead (there are faster ones in the summer) so it's basically a day each way if you rent on the mainland.  Some ferry terminals are poorly marked (we had a hard time, even after asking for directions in Livorno).

The north is generally more expensive and well developed.  The south is more wild/natural and not as geared to tourism, but there is a lot to see (just not always well advertised). English is not widely spoken in the south, but people are friendly and welcoming.

Great place to visit, well worth a trip (or a longer stay!).

Eric
2021 V85TT Centenario
2014 Stelvio NTX (sold)
2013 Stelvio NTX (sold)
2013 V7 Stone (sold)
2007 Griso 1100 (sold)

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 11:39:40 AM »
Sardinia is great for roads and riding, the geography reminds me of central and Southern California.  If you go there, I’d advise also seeing Corsica - it’s only a short unscheduled ferry ride away and is to me a bit more interesting in terms of places to stay and more dramatic scenery - but Sardinia is great too in its own way, the roads are varied and the food is uniquely fantastic.

The best ferries to take to and from Sardinia or Corsica are those that travel overnight.  You lose zero time and the cost with cabin is roughly the same as a hotel room.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 01:30:23 PM by Tusayan »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here